Farming dioramas

Kirely

Apologies if the answers are already here somewhere, I have searched but haven't found quite what I am after.

Looking for suggestions on how to best replicate a field being ploughed, what materials to use and methods to get clean furrows, any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Timms, spent the last 20 mins reading his posts.  He uses tile adhesive for his potato drills which is very effective.  Still hoping for some response to my request for ploughing techniques.

Never personally tried it but if I was going to do one I'd go for a layer of DAS air drying modeling clay spread out over the field in a layer about 5mm thick. Spread a layer of PVA over the board before applying the clay to help it stick. Then using something like the Britain's three furrow plough literally plough the clay. Leave to dry then paint, maybe sprinkle a little bit of scatter material on too to give a bit of texture. The only floor I can see is the plough just ripping the clay off the board due to friction between the two, a release agent ir lubricant on the plough boards would sort that but then that would get on the clay making it difficult to paint after. Possibly a special tool with a sharper edge would be needed to create the furrows.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed reply.  I had thought of using the DAS clay but based on previous experience I though it would be hard to work with.  I had used water to make the clay more pliable  while doing walls but the cost of doing a whole field in DAS is off putting. Your suggestions are worth a go and I’ll let you know how I get on. The ground coffee suggestion is also worthy of a trial.

I use dried coffee granuals , starbucks used to give them away in big 5kg bags as compost, i was pondering a mix with real soil or sand maybe to give it a bit more thickness mind , at present it sticks to wheels ok and drags onto tracks but doesnt stay in furrows perfectly over time , is fine for instant results mind 

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

I use dried coffee granuals , starbucks used to give them away in big 5kg bags as compost, i was pondering a mix with real soil or sand maybe to give it a bit more thickness mind , at present it sticks to wheels ok and drags onto tracks but doesnt stay in furrows perfectly over time , is fine for instant results mind 

Have you tried using a solution of glue with the coffee? I had planned to firstly make a base and then make the furrows stick, but that's because I don't want it to be floating about at any time.

22 minutes ago, Janval said:

Have you tried using a solution of glue with the coffee? I had planned to firstly make a base and then make the furrows stick, but that's because I don't want it to be floating about at any time.

i was hopeing for something i can remove, shape as i want, so i guess glue would set it in a way, i have various bits of coir matting with ploughed areas  cut out ready that i  use, i just fill the soil into it and furrow it with the plough if that makes sense

I used soil from a mole hill to make a quick scene to photo these, took the big lumps out, scattered it on a board then put some vague lines in, not that my heavy land looks like that but I was happy with how it turned out. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, mb86 said:

I used soil from a mole hill to make a quick scene to photo these, took the big lumps out, scattered it on a board then put some vague lines in, not that my heavy land looks like that but I was happy with how it turned out. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

very effective Martin, if you're short of a few mole hills I could fix you up at the moment!:unsure::D

3 hours ago, SPN said:

Martin, is the Dowdeswell made from Scaledown parts or a repainted Replicagri?

Cracking model.

Thanks Stan, Scaledown legs and bodies, scratch built beam and headstock. Made by Dads Tractors. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tested some materials for a ploughed field.

First was dried sand.

773799431_IMG_4752sand.thumb.JPG.59cec20f0c77f15f9f98ece09b518306.JPG

Dried fine soil

1602313678_IMG_4755finesoil.thumb.JPG.e0337d93cba5826a500290bf71dc3a23.JPG

A mixture of sand/soil.

1818667574_IMG_4757sand-soilmix.thumb.JPG.159fc4bb323562c52b572dbf0e32c545.JPG

A mix of sand/soil dampened.

1240973907_IMG_4759sand-soilmixdampened.thumb.JPG.16b36022ad66671ae86a439a613e6492.JPG

Not taken with any any of there and not sure how to stick the material to the boards without distorting the pattern.

My final test was brown silicon and this seemed to me to give a better representation.

IMG_4771.thumb.JPG.4ed7196dc88e184e5b86345581a734cb.JPG

It looks better in real life than in the pictures.  Has anyone else tried this medium?

Archived