My first driving job

Start of the first ever bit of tractor driving i did at my uncles farm,my uncle had an old pallet which slipped over the link arms on his ford 4000 which was loaded with straw bales from the barn, drive through the yard and up to the field where the cows were housed, so painted and weathered a pallet,bales to make more realistic

IMG_7212.jpeg

IMG_7213.jpeg

Edited by Paul Palmer
  • Like 4

Its funny how you remember your first tractor jobs , mine was to back the 65 with transport box up to a heap of mangolds and fork so  many in , dad would then let me drive it across a field whilst he forked them out , he would always make me drive straight to a tree or something in the distance , when the last mangold was thrown out he would then mark me out of 10 for how straight I had driven 😁    hmmm memories !!!!!

• Like 1

First ever farm work- feeding calves on my grandads farm, but first paid farm work would have been hedgelaying. 
First lot of tractor driving by myself would have been with a Massey 7718 and aerator.

• Like 1

We used to have something very similar Paul, it was an old door with two posts nailed to it so the door sat on the link arms and the posts ran under either side of the rear axle of a Dexta to hold it in place, used to use it for mucking out calf boxes and carrying the muck to the midden. I learned to drive when I was nine, Dad just plonked me on the Dexta with a set of chain harrows on the back , set it off for me and then jumped off. Looking back it probably wasn’t the safest thing to do, but I survived and I’ve been driving tractors ever since, so I suppose it worked!

• Like 3

So ,,,,,,,, I've been wondering how to make a hundred or so bales  of straw , I've found a couple of balls of 1950's sisal string which is still the same colour as it was when it was made ,  cut it into 10 mm , 15 mm and 20mm lengths , then I roll it between my hands and all the pieces separate and looks just like straw,,,,,, so that's the easy bit ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now how to make those pesky bales   

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 5:44 PM, Idle Git said:

So ,,,,,,,, I've been wondering how to make a hundred or so bales  of straw , I've found a couple of balls of 1950's sisal string which is still the same colour as it was when it was made ,  cut it into 10 mm , 15 mm and 20mm lengths , then I roll it between my hands and all the pieces separate and looks just like straw,,,,,, so that's the easy bit ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now how to make those pesky bales   

There’s a few photos somewhere on here, @Tractorman810 has made one that does multiple bales at once. I’ve done ones for conventional bales and D1000 bales 

Edited by Jack390

On 4/27/2024 at 5:44 PM, Idle Git said:

https://modelfarming132.blogspot.com/2018/02/making-square-bales-making-straw-and.html?m=1