What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

well one job came to an end today,start a new one Monday so be on the move again the next few days!!!

move away from farming in a way,working for a steel building erecting firm !!

All the best Richard, hard finding a job were you and the boss just click and wages are good.

last full week as manager today, just Monday left then handover on Tuesday ,not sure how it will be as today I took the decision to write of one of our mcv's, the cabling lorries we use, as while having the brakes done, they found the chassis had rusted away ,over 4 ft long and pretty much big enough to put your arm into up to the shoulder, prob 3 " of metal left on the top and bottom of the u beam, the flats effectively and nothing in between .would cost about 10k to fix as it needs a new chassis frame ,so body and cab  off ,along with the workings under it .lorry is prob only worth 10 k now if that  as its a 94 plate daf   . so the hunts on  for a replacement as we do not actually make them anymore, a order has gone in for 97 new ones , but its going to be a good year till we get them as they are specially built with rodding machine, winch , compressor, 110v/240v/24 volt power supplies and a host of other bits , sure the boss is going to be very happy, new ones listed as 75k odd on the fleet site 

• Like 1

Just sitting in the chair with a coffee after shifting a whacking great oak tree to the woodpile! "Come and take it away" says my friend, who doesn't 'do' heavy work... The tree surgeon had done a good job, though and it's all in 9" thick rounds. Some of them are 3 feet in diameter, though, so there was a lot of grunting and groaning going on... All safely piled in another friend's field until I can get to it with a splitter. I've still got a huge trailerload of logs on our drive to split too... Mrs. Bigbear is starting to get tetchy about parking her convertible right under the side of the pile! :)

Still, she won't moan when it's -5 outside and we are toasty warm and not using any gas... Hohohohohoho!

nice easy day building two fibre joints, in the sun , which also involved a team going past doing spuds, made even more entertaining by the tourists still down here not knowing what to do when confronted by a big mf 6480 with new marshall qm trailer , or the nh t6080 with blue baileys trailer , and lastly the claas 836 with a western class coloured trailer  , the mf being driven by a stunning blond girl, prob in her mid 20's who took no prisoners with them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: compaired with the two guys on the other rigs who seemed very cautious . day was spoilt though as a 1 hr trip home took near on two, after a serious accident on the main road shut it, and everyone was being shunted round the lanes ,   

• Like 2

Friday: Erected marquee for all day music concert in the yard at Coldharbour Mill, Uffculme, Devon. (Worked all day at my 'proper' work, then 4 - 10 at the mill).

Saturday: 7.30 a.m. Welcome Military re-enactors, tractor owners, (a good turnout considering the South Molton Show was on at the same time!), and set up stage lighting and p.a. system in time for first band onstage at 10 a.m.... stage manage and sound mix all day... After last band finished, at 10 p.m., dismantle and remove p.a. system.

Sunday: Up early to strike down the marquee and lighting rig. Store it all away. In the afternoon, go to my wife's business to finish off the jobs there ready for her to fully open the doors to the public today! Off to bed at 1130 p.m. after stopping the cat fight in the road outside...

Now: Catching up with emails, etc., before going back to 'proper' work... What did YOU do over the weekend?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

been up the other side of Dorchester for the last few days, good 2.5 hrs drive each way , makes great sence when I am only on a 9 hr day . but on the up side where we were working (warmwell / crosskeys) there was loads of massey's working, all seemed to be on veg dutys and on rows ,  most were 61 plate upwards reg wise and all immaculate , not a spot of mud on anyone of them ,clearly someone loves there fleet

• Like 1

Having sown grass seed into the new playing field at my wife's school a while ago, it is now 6 inches + long and needed a cut. The contractor who usually does it wouldn't do it as it was the first cut and "There might be stones that would damage my mower" he says... Mrs. Bigbear - ever one for a good idea - says to me, "You can mow it"... "I haven't an industrial mower", says I... "Never mind, you've nothing else you wanted to do" says she... So, after weighing up the pros and cons, I mowed a quarter of an acre with a Qualcast electric mower! It looks great, with neat lines and everything, but I'm totally knoackered!

I've now convinced her to buy a ride-on mower, so in future I can have a bit of fun while being her new 'Mower Man'!

Gotta love wives, haven't you? ::)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just back from my holiday , two weeks on a huge ship, more like the axiom from wall-e when you saw most of the other passengers :of :of :of they should never be allowed to make swim suits or shorts that size .had a very very near miss on the way home after some *** decided to cross the a303 onto our side right in front of me , just between wincanton and podimore  ,so if anyone knows the driver of a krone harvestor currently doing maize in that area pass my regards onto him please, not sure he saw my jestures, or the wifes  after braking from 75 to near on a standstill and swerving big time, luckly it was dry, otherwise????

• Like 3

First day back at work after 3 weeks off , vans back in the garage after they managed to fix my banging. Kiss at the rear, o e of the springs had snapped , I know when , about 6 weeks before I went off but they couldn't find anything wrong not like it's not visible, just hanging off but in fixing that they have broken something else , the prop shaft mid bearing????? Which they thought would be ok after they did a crap weld on it to hide it , great other than it let go this afternoon half way home and I had to be re covered

Sitting indoors, covered in cats who think I'm a hot water bottle! I'm off with a cold which just won't go away.... Yes, Mandy, I've had all of the comments about 'manflu' I ever want to hear, thanks! So, just spending time staring out at the rain and messing about on't'internet. Am I bored? OH,yes!

Sitting indoors, covered in cats who think I'm a hot water bottle! I'm off with a cold which just won't go away.... Yes, Mandy, I've had all of the comments about 'manflu' I ever want to hear, thanks! So, just spending time staring out at the rain and messing about on't'internet. Am I bored? OH,yes!

Nothing like a warm cat or two unless it's a couple of dogs.

Hope you feel better soon! (please note I have not used the "M" word :angel:).  How about a nice hot toddy?  You have the perfect reason for having one! >:D

• Like 3