MF 780 Special Combine

nashmach

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it was a great machine in its day! It was registered in England in 1962/3 and brought over to our local dealer where it was bought probably around the early 70's. My grandfather decided to swap the 10' head for a 8'6'' head which is on her still. My father mainly drove her and we used to cut a good bit on hire up till about the mid 80's. It was then dry stored as the engine was getting smokey and a man bought it but never brought it away. After a few years it was moved out of the shed to a nearby field by Dad's friend with his DB 1200 and when this field was reseeded it was dragged up to its current home by a 3CX.

One thing my father kind of regrets now that he didn't keep it going and get the engine reconditioned when he retired it as it would probably be still capable of cutting 20 - 30 acres a year which would be enough for us but sure you can't turn back the clock  :(

strange how you see loads of people restoring tractors of all makes ,but very few restore combines,when you think that the early massey harris and fergusons were pioneers like the tractors before them,making harvest quicker ,for ever more,and no-one keeps a bit of that history,like the tractors

shame really,can remember storys from my granddad about the first massey harris 780 they got,filled the bags and passed them to a trailer,,

strange how you see loads of people restoring tractors of all makes ,but very few restore combines,when you think that the early massey harris and fergusons were pioneers like the tractors before them,making harvest quicker ,for ever more,and no-one keeps a bit of that history,like the tractors

shame really,can remember storys from my granddad about the first massey harris 780 they got,filled the bags and passed them to a trailer,,

mr knight did ;) ;) ;D

Just think when i'm 70 years old I could have a Claas Lexion 600 under restoration  :D :D :D

it wouldn't last that long compaired to the older stuff,from any maker,i still see old mf's and nh's class and jd 107's all that look mint or very good, less to go wrong than the new stuff,they wont last much more than 10 years max i recon,then off to the heap for them

Wouldn't need to Ben, that's the point. My grandad's farm spent a huge sum of money to purchase their first tractor a E27N Fordson, and back then to have a tractor was big stuff. Then further up all the classic tractors are going down in price i.e when a MF 595 came out it was a breakthrough and a nice tractor, so in time A Claas 600 will become vintage, and who knows you may be able to buy one for ?500 in the trader pages when i'm very old.

Wouldn't need to Ben, that's the point. My grandad's farm spent a huge sum of money to purchase their first tractor a E27N Fordson, and back then to have a tractor was big stuff. Then further up all the classic tractors are going down in price i.e when a MF 595 came out it was a breakthrough and a nice tractor, so in time A Claas 600 will become vintage, and who knows you may be able to buy one for ?500 in the trader pages when i'm very old.

ok, best start saving bits to aid the work ;)

It will probably be a load of crap by then and combines will be run in the front room sat on a laptop.

imagine that, cruising down the village high steet in your machine *hence i didnt out a name but by then it will probably be 'JMF' ::) ::)::)* on your laptop, GTA style :D :D

it wouldn't last that long compaired to the older stuff,from any maker,i still see old mf's and nh's class and jd 107's all that look mint or very good, less to go wrong than the new stuff,they wont last much more than 10 years max i recon,then off to the heap for them

But look at it this way they said exactly same thing about your machines that they would never last etc too many components to break but look there still working fine  :-\ :-\