At work with Gav

Gav836

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 8:54 PM, Gav836 said:

Cheers Smithy, I had planned on going to LAMMA on Wednesday but now with at least 4-5 weeks hedge cutting to get through I've not got time now, Martyn or yourself would only extract some money from me anyway!

yes im sure we would have got some money out of you somehow

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd better just update this a little bit. I spent all of the remainder of January and then a lot of February hedge cutting with the T6080 until it needed the brakes overhauling prior to destoning season when I ended up with a McCormick Diamond edition MTX150 with somewhere around 20000hrs+ on the clock:of yes you did read it right!

These pictures were taken whilst cutting and reshaping a hedge that's not been done for a few years.

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

Bit of a job here as this hedge had been left so long that I struggled to get the head between the wire and the hedge bottom, defeats the object of setting the fence out from the hedge if its not trimmed regularly.

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

I'm now just teaching training courses, got a few more coming in now that I'm a registered forklift instructor as well. I was supposed to be going destoning this spring but I turned them down in the end as they weren't keen on me still doing the courses as well, they have to come first as its my main income the rest of the year. Currently looking at other fill in jobs to do between courses, got a few ideas at the moment.

There's one of those mtx's diamond editions appeared down this way recently Gav, supplied by someone up your way, runs around pipers pool way in Cornwall, which is round Bodmin moor . Not sure if it's a contractor or a farmer run machine mind, but it's in very good condition, is the first one I have seen in the flesh of either one they did 

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I updated this, I trained as a forklift instructor at the start of March to allow me to make a near full time move into training instead of actually operating the machinery. 

Since the beginning of May I've spent 5 and sometimes 6 days a week out on farms and industrial units providing mostly forklift training but with the odd pesticide, tractor or ploughing course thrown in for good measure. I'm still doing a bit of farm work and have spent this weekend cutting grass destined for hay production and spreading it out. 

Ive got a few pictures from spreading the grass out today with a Fendt 415 and Lely Stabilo Tedder. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I also have a few pictures from recent courses. We use the customers machines for training so don't know what we're going to get until we arrive on site. It's not all new machinery, made a change to have a 20 year old Matbro TS280 last week. Recently I've also used a Claas Scorpion 7055 with a bucket that holds approx 3 tons of wheat when loaded! Also had a rare CAT crawler tucked away in the barn on one farm!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a busy few weeks lately, the training is now taking a back seat to the farm work. I've been doing a variety of jobs over that time from cutting grass for hay (which the weather ruined!!!) to straw carting and cultivating. The main tractors I've been driving are one of two JD 6930 auto powers, a 7230r, Fendt 415 and one of two Ford 7840's which feature in this topic back in 2007!! All the other blues have gone off the farm due to issues with the last 3 they owned. 

On with the pictures, 6930 and mower knocking down second cut grass for hay/haylage which we caught right just before it rained!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav836 said:

7230r and Simba 6m double press getting land ready for stubble turnips. Using Greenstar GPS on this tractor to make life easier. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Does the press use all your horsepower ? or is it easy to pull what would a 4meter one need hp wise , mine is ok but is a bit heavy on some hills but if the ploughing is good I can normally keep it strait  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11 August 2016 at 0:19 AM, smithy said:

Does the press use all your horsepower ? or is it easy to pull what would a 4meter one need hp wise , mine is ok but is a bit heavy on some hills but if the ploughing is good I can normally keep it strait  

Sorry Smithy missed this, we do use a 6930 on it as well but to get the best out of it with the tines in any depth then it needs the HP of the 7230r

• Like 1

We've just about finished all our Autumn land work now with only 40 acres of barley left to drill following potatoes on a field they rented to a large grower, they finished lifting them this lunchtime and I just managed to finish cultivating it before it got too wet. 

A few more pictures from the past few weeks, we had a slight bearing failure on the baler resulting in a 5 acre BBQ! No real damage caused though and we were baling again 15 hrs later. 

We've also had a 6155r direct drive out on demo so decided to test it on the 6f Kv plough in very dry and hard ground. We both said that we prefer the autopower transmission but it's what we're used to. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think we've spread in the region of 2500 tons of yard muck over the land as well, the last of it was done with one of the 6930's and one of the old Ford 7840's both on Bunnings spreaders. 

We've two drills going, the other 6930 has been on a Kverneland tine drill putting wheat in (no pics I'm afraid, been elsewhere!) while I had the 7230r on an Amazone combination fitted with a shakerator tine bar with four legs on it drilling the barley.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

After having a couple of weeks away from the farm I've spent three days back there this week carting sugar beet and should be there next week doing the same. 

They run their own harvester which is shared with another local farm, between the two of them they carry out contract work with it as well. The harvester is a 59 reg  Agrifac Quatro six row, this is the fourth year that they've owned it, it's only going to lift 450-500 acres of beet this season as customers have cut their acreages due to the abysmal prices being paid for the crop currently. 

I've had one of the 6930's on the Richard Western 18 ton trailer carting, it holds about 1.5 harvester tank loads, the customers usually put an extra trailer in with us as well. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

That was fairly light land there Mike, we've had 70mm of rain here this month (sorry Chris!!) so some fields are a bit damp in a place or two but no where near as wet as it has been at times. 

4 hours ago, Gav836 said:

That was fairly light land there Mike, we've had 70mm of rain here this month (sorry Chris!!) so some fields are a bit damp in a place or two but no where near as wet as it has been at times. 

I would settle for 7mm at the moment Gav mate. Friend has got a farm in Suffolk at Brampton and he has had 60 mm in last 3 weeks. No beet being lifted around here, it's too hard.

1 hour ago, chris.watson said:

I would settle for 7mm at the moment Gav mate. Friend has got a farm in Suffolk at Brampton and he has had 60 mm in last 3 weeks. No beet being lifted around here, it's too hard.

I'm not surprised, I've been seeing some of my friends comments on Facebook from down your way as to how dry it is, it's unbelievable how it can still be so dry down with you after all the rain elsewhere in the East, it's not that greater distance between us really either! Hopefully you'll get some rain with you soon and that the forecast is wrong!

• Like 1