At work with Gav

Gav836

er... bloody yes.. come ploughing with me... I'll show you just how difficult it can be  :D :D :D

I'll second you on that Mark... this ploughing lark especially with older tackle is not so easy at it looks as I found out at our local working weekend just past ;D ;D

er... bloody yes.. come ploughing with me... I'll show you just how difficult it can be  :D :D :D

not just lines you have to worry about there is  deph, stubble crowns openings and i could go on, and yes it is bl..dy hard  ;D;)

These have to be the dumbest design of PTO shaft guards I've come across, yes they are easy to slide the cones back to grease the UJ's but they are an absolute ***** to relocate when you slide them back again as you cannot get the tabs to line up >:(

Working position

Image190.jpg

Removal, screwdriver needed to release tabs

Image191.jpg

Ready to grease, the difficult bit is refitting them >:(

Image192.jpg

Best not go into all the problems with using it like this ::)

Image193.jpg

It is smooth, like the surface of a billiard table behind this machine

Not really, it seems to depend on the soil type in the field and access to irrigation stand pipes as to whether or not headlands are planted

I'll second you on that Mark... this ploughing lark especially with older tackle is not so easy at it looks as I found out at our local working weekend just past ;D ;D

my dad said it all depends on how well you get the first furrow in the ground

• 1 month later...

Well started the new job today, first job was to go and fit the wheel back onto the spud harvester after having a new tyre fitted and then bring it back to the yard ready for its overhaul and service. The rest of the day has been filled with general maintainence like changing the beet hoe blades. Heres some pics of some of the kit here anyway :)

My tractor, 2005 John Deere 6920s with Autopower transmission, done about 3200 hours at present.

P4300053.jpg

P4300054.jpg

My new toy, 1999 Standen Vision Potato Harvester.......could be fun... :D

P4300057.jpg

One of the other tractors, a T reg John Deere 6810, currently on irrigation duties

P4300056.jpg

Vaderstad Rapid 300s drill

P4300055.jpg

John Deere 2058 combine, 18 foot cut

P4300059.jpg

And to finish off with, heres a pic of some of the fatteners that are due to go next week

P4300058.jpg

some nice bits of kit there Gav  :) now you haven't been mesuring up that potato harvester have you?  :D

Working out how to operate it is going to be enough, let alone measuring it up :D :D

Looks like a nice farm to be at mate, nothing to flash and fancey, just a proper working farm that survives by working properly. Nice one mate, you'll enjoy it here I hope  :)

Cheers Tris, first impressions are good, they try to keep as much in house as possible so should be a good variety of jobs there. Looking like I'll be spending quite a bit of time in the workshop to start with though which is good :)

Well no surprises as yet although I did hear a rumour that there may not be any more green trctors coming onto the farm due to problems they've had with them ::) ::)

No wild oat pulling James, plenty of workshop business though ;D

Well no surprises as yet although I did hear a rumour that there may not be any more green trctors coming onto the farm due to problems they've had with them ::) ::)

[glow=red,2,300]No wild oat pulling James, plenty of workshop business though ;D[/glow]

You got off that 1 nicely then  ;D

Working out how to operate it is going to be enough, let alone measuring it up :D :D

i found the standen stuff pretty straight forward kit to use gav , both the statesman & statesman 2, the only problems i came across was from the chaps on the picking table at the rear, every time i keyed the mike on the CB the rear elevator would double it's speed , which really narked the pickers off  :D :D the only other niggly thing i had was the auto re-set for the steering on the harvester axle was a bit vague at the best of times. :-\

i found the standen stuff pretty straight forward kit to use gav , both the statesman & statesman 2, the only problems i came across was from the chaps on the picking table at the rear, every time i keyed the mike on the CB the rear elevator would double it's speed , which really narked the pickers off  :D :D the only other niggly thing i had was the auto re-set for the steering on the harvester axle was a bit vague at the best of times. :-\

Must be a Standen control thing as the self centring function isn't too sharp on this one, had to try and do it manually when moving it about the sheds yesterday