At work with Gav

Gav836

Shame. Some of the best tractors ever made..........

How many tractors in total there Gav?

how many hrs did the 6810 have? seams very very cheap even for autopower (not liked round here) ive been pricing round and the deers seam very cheap :o i maybe should have been at that sale!

so you have started silly season then gav :D :D :D how many acres to cut and bale this year then??

As far as I know I'm baling 50 acres for the neighbour followed by about 300acres of our own as we don't need so much straw this year.

what size of sward is that? what speed can you push her to?, hate the sight o the JD belt balers look so odd,

I think its a 22' cut Ricky, only go 10-11k with it, sure I could push it harder but don't see the point.

do you get much bother with them jd balers gav? see the boys i work for now run a mchale f550 and you can romp through some stuff in a day with her  :o8) 8)

Had a few age related problems with it last year but they are all sorted now, just got a net issue at the minute which we should be able to sort after its been used again, got a roll of genuine JD net in it to rule out our stuff now, if it still plays up we know the rubber roller needs changing @ £500 :o :o

how many hrs did the 6810 have? seams very very cheap even for autopower (not liked round here) ive been pricing round and the deers seam very cheap :o i maybe should have been at that sale!

Not sure on that one Mike as I didn't start it up, by the time I was looking at it the auctioneer was only a couple away. Do know where there are a couple of decent 6900's up in your direction though

We've also got a new (well to us) tractor coming home in the next week or so, we finally found what we think is the right tractor and bought it. Its a 2001 John Deere 6910 with 6600 hours on the clock, will be used for drilling, de-stoning and trailer work mostly as well as a back up for my if when it goes wrong again, exactly the same size tyres as mine so my row crop wheels will fit it as well, decided to keep the front linkage and PTO so it can go on the spud harvester should the need arise. I'll get some better pictures once it arrives :)

2150_3.jpg

2150_2.jpg

2150_1.jpg

005-1.jpg

As far as I know I'm baling 50 acres for the neighbour followed by about 300acres of our own as we don't need so much straw this year.

I think its a 22' cut Ricky, only go 10-11k with it, sure I could push it harder but don't see the point.

Had a few age related problems with it last year but they are all sorted now, just got a net issue at the minute which we should be able to sort after its been used again, got a roll of genuine JD net in it to rule out our stuff now, if it still plays up we know the rubber roller needs changing @ £500 :o :o

Not sure on that one Mike as I didn't start it up, by the time I was looking at it the auctioneer was only a couple away. Do know where there are a couple of decent 6900's up in your direction though

thanks GAV but im sorted, watch this space ;) hope mine polishes up as good as your "new" tractor ;D

We started cutting our winter barley yesterday, got about 25 acres left to do now. Been baling the first field up today, baler threw a wobbly though and spat a bearing out mid morning, was 4.30pm when I got going again only to be rained off at 8.30pm with only a few swaths left. Once the bearing was fixed I was really pushing on, 40 5' bales an hour at 12.5kph, was only doing 20-25 last week ;D

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

Not what you want to see looming up when you're baling ::) was 30mins after pic was taken when it hit

006-2.jpg

If the baler had of behaved I'd have been right behind the combine on the other field, lost over 5 hours due to that. Combine isn,'t pretty but it does the job. Should be having a new Tucano out on demo soon ;D

did you get the bales in before the rain or did they get soaked aswell?

Those bales will be staying out all winter, fields going into stubble turnips so will be put around the edge and put in on a daily basis ;)

Those bales will be staying out all winter, fields going into stubble turnips so will be put around the edge and put in on a daily basis

Do you tubeline these Gav? up here bales are tubelined and left in the fields. Also do you ammonia treat the straw makes it more palatable for cattle.

These ones will just be tipped over as bedding Rob, gives the cows something to lay on while they munch off the turnips ;) We will be ammonia treating some a bit later on again, the cows can't get enough of them once they are inside and calving

These ones will just be tipped over as bedding Rob, gives the cows something to lay on while they munch off the turnips ;) We will be ammonia treating some a bit later on again, the cows can't get enough of them once they are inside and calving

Thanks gav that explains it. Never heard of that done before one farmer up here runs the cows and calfs over the stubble all winter and the stores and finishing cattle are put inside. All his cattle are autumn calvers they get neeps, grain and silage daily in 2 feeder trailers. Loads up here use ammonia treat straw to feed cattle. Another local farmer who overwinters approx 700 cattle in sheds feeds them straw, silage and barley, sugarbeet pellets and draff. This year he has mixed potatoes and draff in with his silage it has been layered in the pit.