David Brown 1690. Major Conversion.

Here is my latest tractor. A David Brown 1690 4WD converted from one of those Lone Star Case toy tractors. This one is my first real serious conversion, I say serious because it has taken me a week between times and a lot of parts have been made from scratch to make it into what is hopefully a reasonable representation. The most difficult parts I found doing was fitting the front axle and the Siku linkage, the rest was reasonably straight forward but making the mirrors, steps, sidelights and cab interior was hellish fiddely requiring a lot of cutting of piddly little bits of plastic and trying to glue them all together without sticking my fingers together. Anyway, I hope that this attempt comes up to 'scratch' and meets with your approval.

1690-1.jpg

1690-2.jpg

1690-3.jpg

1690.jpg

Made a silght addition this morning as I was thinking something was missing and the back end was looking a little bare so I've added a ploughing lamp and the number plate on the mudguards, have to try and find some tiny black letters and numbers for the number plate, electroset or something.

1690-4.jpg

Looking good PW the cab looks good glazed  :)

Yes, I have 3/4 glazed the cab, used some 0.25 clear and cut to fit. Thinking of doing a back window as the back of the cab is still open but may be rather difficult as there is very little room at the top of the cab under the line of the roof to 'hinge' a window as I would like to have this rear window opening. I will ponder this for a while.

i think its really good, infact its tempting me to ruin a marshall to do it as the model is much more accuarte if badged case/DB like this

Are you sure you want to ruin a Lone Star Marshall? Personally I would look out for a D.B or Case one that needs a little repar to do as the Marshalls are rather rare now and don't come to light that often.

I did'nt much like the first exhaust, a bit too fat and a bit too high, so I found another amongst my bits that I adapted a little to make it more proportionate.

Changed1690Exhaust.jpg

the 15's & 16's are fantastic tractors ,like the convo mate , done well there  :)

Thanks. A mate of mine says he's got a winscreen wiper in 1:32 so that will be a good addition. I've even put a tax disc on the screen, a bit ott probably but Corgi used to do tax discs for their models, so why not?

I could even copy and reduce to size the proper 'warning' decals for it as I've got all the real ones. How far do you go though?

I say that is fantastic Mr PR.... I love it... some real fine detail work gone into her... I would love to see the tax disc and warning decals you mention  ;D:o

Thanks Marky. I was not being too serious about the warning decals as the majority of them would have to be inside the cab. Heres a pic of the tax disc.

TaxDisc.jpg

Awesome convo, the wheels look spot on. The cab on the lonestar model looks a thousand times better than the glass-less ertl 1690

I agree with you on the lack of glazing on the Ertl ones. Look at the difference between the Lone Star and Ertl ones side by side and although they are both supposedly the same scale the wheels on the Lone Star are larger making it higher, putting the wider type Britain's wheels and tyres on it lowers it slightly making it more proportional. You will also find that most of the Lone Star tractors in this series used the same basic casting for the 1690, both David Brown and Case and the Case IH version in red and black, the red and blue Internationals, these Internationals were just the basic casting with a floor pan and Duncan type cab and a white plastic grille pinned on the front, Marshalls, Ford 7610 and the Massey Ferguson 3070 Autotronic.

I have examples of all the above and after doing this 1690 conversion have even surprised myself how they have the potential to be dramatically changed and improved.  :o

how did you print one so detailed and small :-\, i've yet to try but wouldnt it blur :-\

I put an old tax disc on the scanner part of the copier/printer and scanned it, sent it to my picture file and then opened it in my photo programme and reduced to the required size then printed it off on the 'best quality' setting of the printer side. The printer/copier I have is a HP Officejet all-in-one and will print anything as original from A4 down to a dot, good bit of kit for doing decals etc, the thing is, if your scanner/printer is of a decent quality, it will scan and reproduce 'in focus' regardless of the physical size of the original.  8)

I put an old tax disc on the scanner part of the copier/printer and scanned it, sent it to my picture file and then opened it in my photo programme and reduced to the required size then printed it off on the 'best quality' setting of the printer side. The printer/copier I have is a HP Officejet all-in-one and will print anything as original from A4 down to a dot, good bit of kit for doing decals etc, the thing is, if your scanner/printer is of a decent quality, it will scan and reproduce 'in focus' regardless of the physical size of the original.  8)

i know someone who did that but dint shrink it after wards :D :D got away with it for 6 month to till he got a new job and cash again

looks a lot better with the smaller exhaust mate i must say,