Lovely old brochure from the 60's... The MF 736 Highway Mower

I grew up using one of those.  ;D

Used to be a barsteward if the chain from the pto started slipping though. Would eat the second cog in seconds.

The hydraulic lever system in front of the seat was dead handy - much easier to use than the quadrant - even for ploughing. We used to swap the mower off for a horn-draulic loader in the winter. We'd run the loader off one lever, and the 3 point off the other.

Later on we had a bale grab, and we put a spool valve on the second lever.

Needless to say, the laneways to my Grandfather's farm were always very well trimmed  ;)

Great pics!! Can you imagine mowing the graas like that on the side of daul carriageway now!!! :D :D :D

Wheres the lane closure!!

good point Kev  :o - you wouldn't want to do that there days would you  :o :o

I'd give it 10 mins before you had a "lorry enima"  :D :D

I wonder how that mower would last nowadays at the side of your average road with remnants of HGV tyres, traffic cones, concrete, shoes, bumpers, glass bottles, body parts....  ;D

I think the old grass from the 60's was a little more "whisyp" as well james - i think "modern" grass is a little too thick for this type of machine nowadays mate  :-\

I think the old grass from the 60's was a little more "whisyp" as well james - i think "modern" grass is a little too thick for this type of machine nowadays mate  :-\

Round here there aren't a lot of grass verges left to mow, In the process of central Governments concern about going green and protecting the environment by allowing the hedges and trees grow; even on the main roads; the trees are so overgrown that you can't use the outside 1/2 metre of road anyway. On some of our A roads round here; we have to slow right down to avoid oncoming trucks, for fear of exchanging mirrors mid road, or possibly worse.  :o>:(

Up here in Scotland the hedgerows are mostly pretty well kept, but the verges are left to grow wild in some places.  Last year when on holiday in Somerset, I was astounded by exceptionally poor maintenance, being new to the area, I was obviously making great use of signs, sometimes I had to slow right down to 20 MPH to see what they said, the trees were growing straight across them.  I should say this was on B and A roads, not motorways!

Great post marky,thanks for sharing it the lovely pictures.

Those old brochures of yours are wicked. :)

Thanks Steve... You and I share the same love of that era it seems.... I must burn the oldies on a disc for you mate - I've got quite a few now from the mids 50's onwards  ;)

I've got a great 738 tiller one.... and every brochure they produced on it up to about 1980(ish)... I'll upload them to Photobucket and pop a post up... it makes some interesting reading really  :)

I do have a soft spot for the old massey stuff.

I remember following my mates Dad around the hay fields.

He was a local contractor with an MF 65 and MF baler with sledge and we had to stack the bales for a perry loader.

They were great times,we were so lucky to be able to go and do that after school on the summer evenings.