Ford Super 'Q's in action

RichardJW1

After reading the 6810 thread I thought I'd put these pics up, some were taken during my Ford dealership days in '90/'91 and some a bit later....self-explantory really, but....     

Ford 7810 doing the hard-yards with this Welger Delta baler

Pict0022-1.jpg

The line-up of then new tractors - 5610/2, 6810/4 w/ a-c & 7810

Pict0008-1.jpg

5610/AP with a Bomford trimmer - I think this one was sold to a River authority, or similar.

Pict0009.jpg

6810 just having a Farm-Force front linkage fitted

Pict0010.jpg

Pict0011.jpg

7810 pulling a 4f DP7 plough

Pict0012.jpg

Pict0013.jpg

Pict0014.jpg

7810 pulling Teagle 10ton trailer running against a Jag forager

Pict0015.jpg

Pict0016.jpg

see the old Fords i quite like, brings back memories of the carpet farming time and reading my second cousins farmers weekly books/mags....i wont tell you what he thought of Fords then :D

I think their maybe a few Forum members confessing undying love for you as they will with the tractors as well. A brilliant collection of pics there, thanks for putting them up  :)

Love the old Claas chopper and the one of the 7810 on the headland with the plough raised.

like to see the older kit getting an airing , from years back , & although not fords biggest fan the SQ series 10's were good looking tractors  along with the MF600's, deutz 4.70's etc , & the inters & DB's

they have a character that captured the time of farming still being an enjoyable job,  rideing out the last few years of money still to be made , & drivers willing to take the risk & going out on their own.

different today , not much money about , tractors are bigger , so less people to work & pass the day on the cb with, always against the weather, &  needing a lottery win to get a half decent tractor to start contracting with, just to get some decent bussiness :(

i'm sure i'm not on my own here as some of you other ex tractor drivers will agree ,these pics seem to capture everything we enjoyed about the job , the good old days ? tell me what was good about them ? it could be bloody hard work ! but like you , i wouldnt change them for the world  :)

Excellent pics. I always liked the look of super Q cabbed Fords :)

How come the 6810 in the 2nd pic has round headlights separate from the grill ???. Not seen one like that before.

I think you'll find its because it has air conditioning. The additional radiator means its physically impossible to get everything behind the grille and that included the plugs/wiring for the std. headlights.

Other interesting thing is that the 6810, despite being turbocharged actually came with the ordinary domed steel pre-cleaner, compared to the 7610 with its plastic bowl type.

some lovley pics there mate,where was that jewell dealership to then??? the name sounds very familiar for some reason

It was L.F. Jewell they were part of the Kellands Group which also included Jewell-Trac, Kellands sprayers & Kellands Plant.

I worked in Tedburn St. Mary from July '90 through until November '91 when they liquidated all the assets within the L.F. Jewell group and closed our depot plus Holsworthy, Redhill and Bridgewater.

Being out of work I then made the biggest change in my life and got a job in a Case IH dealership down at Aveton Gifford. Heard of Avon Bridge Machinery?

It was L.F. Jewell they were part of the Kellands Group which also included Jewell-Trac, Kellands sprayers & Kellands Plant.

I worked in Tedburn St. Mary from July '90 through until November '91 when they liquidated all the assets within the L.F. Jewell group and closed our depot plus Holsworthy, Redhill and Bridgewater.

Being out of work I then made the biggest change in my life and got a job in a Case IH dealership down at Aveton Gifford. Heard of Avon Bridge Machinery?

Great pictures. All I can do is echo the compliments of the other posters.

I too worked for a Ford dealership and there was some really great tractors in the SQ 10 series line up. So much so,it's hard to pick just one. I used to demonstrate them and there wasn't a model in the range that I could fault. Everything about them was good. Going up a range , the 30 series were something to be proud of, especially the power shift gearbox.

Is the agricultural market in Devon shrinking as it is everywhere else. I saw a Case dealer had closed or moved from Yealmpton, next to the river bridge. I always used to look at the machinery on the way past.

Presumably you've seen my Ford dealer days in the general discussion section under "Old photo's ...well not that old" If you haven't then looking at it will probably bring a tear to your eye.

I can also remember in the last couple of years, watching a Claas forager working with some Ford tractors on the hills just East of Kingsbridge. My holidays in Devon were what re kindled  my interest in farm models.

Presumably you've seen my Ford dealer days in the general discussion section under "Old photo's ...well not that old" If you haven't then looking at it will probably bring a tear to your eye.

I hadn't, but I have now!!! Absolute classic photos!!! Thanks for posting. It really brings back the memories of training at Boreham House, Ford Demo teams, whispers of a NEW Ford range coming out [40 series], ......and too many others!

Amazing how in those days all that new machinery was so progessive and percieved as high powered. Now, as someone else has probably commented, anything around the 100hp mark is regarded as nothing more than a yard tractor......even with 4wd!......is this a sign of old age? Well, what the hell.

Give it another 20 yrs and we'll haggling for pics of New Holland TMs and reminiscing on just how reliable they were  :-\ and how it was the time we thought only big farmers had 30ft headers!