30 members have voted

1. 1. Which One??

• Grey Fergie
    • MF35

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one! A bit of work to get it back to showroom condition but a good size for the 35. We used to have a 12' one and the 35 toiled on hills with that.

You might be able to use standard pins and fit the lynch pin end in the space, if you see what I mean. :)

The plate on the cultivator is most probably the importer as it says on it.

The machine is actually made by a company called Kongskilde, (Sweden) and it was as the tines say the Triple K. Therefore it's a Kongskilde Triple K. The design remained unchanged for years and I believe they were sold under other banners as well. Maybe MF and Ransomes. Their tines were legendary and fitted to most of the spring tine cultivators. Most were fitted with a narrow reversible point about two inches wide and about eight inches long, but there was an alternative wider point about four inches wide so the machine could do more work. These points weren't reversible.

Their most common use was stubble breaking, ie turning up a tilth behind the combines and baler to get weeds and dropped grain to germinate before it was ploughed in, but they were also used in clean soil for seed bed preparation. It wasn't a good idea to use it where a lot of trash had been buried, as it had a tendency to bring it back to the surface again.

The linkage pins should be easy to replace as they are a stepped pin with a flat lever on the end forming an 'L' shape. They are category 1 and 2 steps and are inserted from one side or the other of the brackets, depending on the tractor. Your 35 will almost certainly be cat 1.

This is a picture of a later one with folding extensions and the following harrow.

http://img.agriaffaires.com/vibrocultor/g64596_2008032881346_2/kongskilde-triple-k.jpg

You should be able to order any spares from your local agricultural dealer.  ;):)

Interesting comment in that point's article - used before ploughing to break up hard soil!

In the brochure pictures Marky posted they are using in it a ploughed field. I would have thought it would not be strong enough or too hard to pull in un-ploughed ground?

Therefore next question "When should I use the tines and under what conditions. Also what tractor conditions (low range etc)

To some of you this may sound basic, but don't forget I am not a tractor drive or farmer by profession!! :D

Well Kevsy... I only know from the engineering side really.. I'd say a tiller (with break back arms on springs) would be used directly to hard compacted, un-ploughed land - a spring tine would not have the weight to sink in.

The idea of a spring tine is to break down the clods via the vibration action.  So in summary.... you'd use it AFTER you had ploughed, BEFORE you have seeded - to make a finer seedbed.

As for speed.... depending on the tractor and the depth of penetration (and hence the drag).. I'd say you could whoop along in 1H or even 2H at a push - 3/4 throttle.

No doubt I will be corrected

Interesting comment in that point's article - used before ploughing to break up hard soil!

In the brochure pictures Marky posted they are using in it a ploughed field. I would have thought it would not be strong enough or too hard to pull in un-ploughed ground?

Therefore next question "When should I use the tines and under what conditions. Also what tractor conditions (low range etc)

To some of you this may sound basic, but don't forget I am not a tractor drive or farmer by profession!! :D

we always ran down the main tracks across the field with one of those before ploughing kev, was always taught to use the same route round the filed and not across it, so this could be done,

These are for the MF38 Tiller... but I guess they would be the same really...

MF382_Page_2c.jpg

These tines are similar to the Kongskilde ones, but I think they are describing the Bomford Superflow type of tines. The Triple K standard tine looked different from the first picture and the machine wasn't intended to do what the description says. The Triple K was a light cultivation machine and would have been used to break down ploughed ground for a seed bed or 'Tickling the surface' of stubble to provide a tilth for germination of weeds and dropped grains. No more than 2" deep.

Kongskilde also made a much heavier spring tine cultivator, called a "Vibro Flex" which had a two piece tine with spring section about 150mm across. This was intended for much heavier use.

http://www.kongskilde.com/NR/rdonlyres/DA895A70-108B-45D9-B046-DE5E5915F32E/3490/KongskildeVibroFlex2012.gif

These have been around for many years now in one form or another, but the tines have never altered. Even Bomford's used them on their machines.  :)

Sparex.com have  page of pictures of the tines available. Look up www.sparex.com, then cultivators, Kongskilde, points, and the first four types of tine are for the Triple K, the remainder are Vibroflex.

Sparex parts are available all over the country at many agricultural dealers.  ;):)

What a buy - am looking for another scrap one of those for the tines to combine them with the tines on ours to make a bigger harrow from scratch  ;)

We use ours for the 2nd run after ploughing - drive in high 2nd on the Ford box as hard as she will take it - usually the hand throttle down to the knees ;D ;D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I must be going mad!!! (Don't answer that Simon!) :D :D ;)

I have always thought Penny was an FE35 - I know they are grey & Gold, but that's what the serial worked out at.

I have just received my FoFH Mag today and it has a list of serials in it.

Penny is SKM

S= Normal Width chassis

K= Petrol/TVO standard engine

M= Dual Clutch

and her serial is between 171471-220613 which is 1960 (Correct - reg April 1960) and relates to an MF35!

Why didn't someone tell me to avoid my embarrassment? :-[

I must be going mad!!! (Don't answer that Simon!) :D :D ;)

I have always thought Penny was an FE35 - I know they are grey & Gold, but that's what the serial worked out at.

I have just received my FoFH Mag today and it has a list of serials in it.

Penny is SKM

S= Normal Width chassis

K= Petrol/TVO standard engine

M= Dual Clutch

and her serial is between 171471-220613 which is 1960 (Correct - reg April 1960) and relates to an MF35!

Why didn't someone tell me to avoid my embarrassment? :-[

:D :D - well Kev.... I did always wonder why you refered to it as and FE35... if she's 1960 then she's 2 years post MHF being named Massey Ferguson mate... I assumed you read it on a VIN plate or something... what a numpty  ::);D:D :D :D

FE stands for 'Ferguson England' by the way... as just one more piece of useless information  :D :D

So... could you not get the production date... and the first owners details from FoFH Kev ???