What really PLEASED you?

Yesterday I was doing my part for caring for the community and transporting a neighbours 90 year old friends fridge when my yellow oil warning light came on and bleeped at me. I must admit my car never really has used oil and it was remis of me not to check but I'm blowed if I can read the dipstick anyway since it is black plastic.

I duly pulled in at the bus stop and added 1/2 litre as a guess. Anyway that was my litre container from the boot empty so I stopped in past the Westhill service station on my way home and saw they were needing £ 16.99 for a litre or £ 42.99 for 4 litres of Castrol Edge 5W-30 and I though sod that I'm not paying that for oil.

I went in past my local garage and saw the proprietor Alan Sangster aka bangers from his Ford Sierra Cosworth days and asked if he would sell me a litre of long life oil. No problem as long as I had something to put it into. No worries I had my empty litre container and the cost was £ 5.00. Well I have to say I was well pleased with that deal 8)

Yesterday I was doing my part for caring for the community and transporting a neighbours 90 year old friends fridge when my yellow oil warning light came on and bleeped at me. I must admit my car never really has used oil and it was remis of me not to check but I'm blowed if I can read the dipstick anyway since it is black plastic.

I duly pulled in at the bus stop and added 1/2 litre as a guess. Anyway that was my litre container from the boot empty so I stopped in past the Westhill service station on my way home and saw they were needing £ 16.99 for a litre or £ 42.99 for 4 litres of Castrol Edge 5W-30 and I though sod that I'm not paying that for oil.

I went in past my local garage and saw the proprietor Alan Sangster aka bangers from his Ford Sierra Cosworth days and asked if he would sell me a litre of long life oil. No problem as long as I had something to put it into. No worries I had my empty litre container and the cost was £ 5.00. Well I have to say I was well pleased with that deal 8)

Always nice to see that there is still people out there that aren't intent on ripping you off  :)

Yes Alan is a good guy. He was a few years below me at school and was a time served Audi / VW mechanic before setting up on his own about 10 years ago. No fancy garage or car whilst in for service but he is half the price for a service in comparison with Aberdeen Audi and he is using the genuine Audi parts too.

My first service at 18k from Aberdeen Audi was £ 274.07. The second one at £ 27 / 28k ( Audi switched the computer to shorter service  :of>:( ) from Alan was £ 136.26 which was less than half.

My third service at £ 37k from Alan including MOT fee  £ 54.50 and £ 60 an hour for cleaning brakes etc was £ 369.72.

I will always support local folk especially when they can provide a better service and at a lower cost. In addition you are speaking with the man who is doing the work and not someone sitting at a service desk who probably doesn't know the front end from the rear end of a car ;) ;)

The look on my managers face earlier pleased me :laugh:

My boss was asking if the truck he'd ordered for me was going to do the job ::)

I said no it wasn't  :(  we had discussed a few weeks ago what i wanted but he had gone for a basic fleet spec truck >:(  turns out my manager was trying to get brownie points and told boss we could get away with a cheaper fleet spec truck ::)

My boss got us all together to sort out what to do :-\

I calmly said 'as you two don't drive a truck could you listen to someone who does then maybe we can agree on a vehicle which is suitable for the job it needs to do'

Needless to say the truck has been cancelled and another (ideal) truck ordered ;)

No Scania are far too expensive so it will still be a Merc... but i'm getting a construction spec (high clearance bumper, upright exhaust,rear windows) 480bhp 6x2 tag axle with twin wheels on the tag, it will have the same wheel base as my current 6x4 but with the added bonus of being able to lift the rear axle 8)

Offered an interview at Reaseheath College for a farm apprenticeship with the Co-Op (I'm not holding my breath though as there are only eight places available this year..)

No Scania are far too expensive so it will still be a Merc... but i'm getting a construction spec (high clearance bumper, upright exhaust,rear windows) 480bhp 6x2 tag axle with twin wheels on the tag, it will have the same wheel base as my current 6x4 but with the added bonus of being able to lift the rear axle 8)

Tidy! That sounds more like it Paul. Are they built to stock or to order? I expect with the trailer off, tag up and foot down you'll be doing wheelies with it when you get a chance :D:)

Manual or Auto mate and company colours or just white?

I don't get the title of 'manager' half the time. Respect shouldn't be expected with rank. Both rank and respect should be earned. The best person to spec a tool for a job is the person who is going to use it or who has done the job in the past.

On that note. . . . Is the Scania more expensive than the Merc by your managers salary?! I can see a way to save a quid or two. . . . . :D :D :D

My first impressions of the Panasonic FZ38 I recently invested in which arrived this afternoon. Whilst i've yet to delve into the real nitty gritty of each individual setting i'm absolutely delighted with the initial results, a massive step up from my old Sony Cybershot compact camera. The display settings are clear and the sub menus too are very well laid out and easy to navigate without the fear of getting lost or wondering what you've just pressed. True there's probably a few too many "scene modes" to choose from but it still offers far greater versatility over what i've been used to. The zoom movement is seamless and again far more responsive that what i've ever experienced before. I'm really looking foward to properly field testing it on a friend's farm next week to see how it copes with subject I enjoy photographing the most, moving farm machinery. Until then here's an early test image of a miniature machine from my collection using the camera's basic macro settings.

P1030714.jpg

So far I'm pleased I did my homework and didn't pay for a bang up to date camera costing me over the odds with features i'd hardly ever use or perhaps need, or one that was so bulky it hampered my criteria for chasing up and down fields. 

Big Bud is looking good David ;) ;) ;)

One my favourite artics in my collection Bill, a deserving "guinea pig" which could just do with a bit of a dust. Delighted how my initial close up practice shots have come out backing up the reviews I read before I purchased this camera. :)

flipping hec David... that is pin sharp mate  :of  .. well it passes the macro test with flying colours... I'm looking forward to the 'big toys' images now  :P

Chuffed to bits Mark, far sharper than what I could ever achieve with the old Sony compact, it certainly passes the macro test. Speaking of which there's four different macro settings designed for specific objects and also a creative setting to adjust colour saturation. Again a level of options within one setting i've never been used to before, but, at least they're easy to appreciate and understand. Really looking forward to taking some action shots now of some full size machines. :)

Looks like I could almost put my hand in the screen and pick that up David. Nice upgrade I'd say  :)

Very pleased with it so far Tris from my initial close up shots of some of my models i've taken. There's definitely a significant improvement in picture quality compared to what i've been used to. :)