ash tree farm, tms farm work in progress

Tractorman810

After a bit of research I decided against the woodland scenics Earth pigments paint , it seems they are pretty expensive at 15 quid a set and do not go very far, so the recommendation from the model rail guys is simple brown poster paint, which cost me a quid for 1 l of it, they recommend putting the road surface down first and sealing it before the flock, so that's my next step once the brown paints dried, I have also started the dividing ditch between the fields, but forgot to get the wood for the bridge so that's for tomorrow. I was considering a public foot path going down one side of the field to the left ( one with the 698t in) with a wood plank bridge  over the ditch,signs for it ect to, so may need to widen that bank out a bit to make that, just to add some more features to it

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Have also started the front of the farms new banks, once set this sheet is rock hard, so I can add a few smaller trees, grass and stuff in it, along with the power poles feeding the house from the transformer in the yard, this will also back feed the phone line for the workshop . It also allows me better views and access into the yard . Won't go to high with this bank, to keep the effect as with the roadway,anything painted brown will get a flock covering to it , didn't go straight so added a bay like section and left the curve as if it's just been added off the old way in

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Forgot to post this for Barry, as per the road side in progress this is the furthest back I can get for a pic, overall it's about 3 m long as I couldn't at the time put a board over the end where the loft hatch is on either side ,with the forth coming work extension and internal walls being moved I hope to be able to solve this issue,giving me an extra 1 m x 60cm deep extension each side ,,at the far end of each leg is a missing m panel to,where I can get up behind the layout if required, can only do it one side though(main road side)  due to the collection being stored underneath of the right hand side

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, smallclaas said:

Looking good Sean, yep paint can be expensive, I find testers or 5 litre drums of matt emulsion can be good value if you need a fair amount of the one colour.

I only need about a litre mate, so far I have probably used about a 1/4 to do all this and I suspect I won't need a second coat either, it's covered pretty well. I need to find the rest of the prolly sheet(stole your idea) to bring the last part of the field around the house up to match the front half, then I can finish that off, leaving the side open for the mo for the planned extension,maybe wrap the whole house with the one field. Hopefully get the last of the banks plastered tomorrow plus the banks needed for the bridge, then with luck painted later, and aim to start doing the flock next weekend time allowing ,never done the flock before but all then ids I have seen look easy enough 

Plastered up the bank I front of the yard today,and started the bit between the fields, found you need to mix and use one batch a go,and let it set, as its fine to use for abut 5 mins then sets really fast in the brush, this also set it in place so you can then push it down as you go along the lengths. Also started glueing the lolly sticks into timber strips to make the sleeper bridge across the ditch, I can't decide on how to land it yet, some we had were concrete pads, others just set into the soil set on sleepers under the ends, I think I will make it first then see what sits best . 

Just got a little more done ,did a runner from work an hrs early, might as well being boss , got the basic bridge built, next step is to weather it up ,add weeds and tufts of grass on it, then I can start making the banks/Ramps onto it, also painted the front yard bank, just awaiting the road material, then I can go for the flock on the main areas 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bit more progress made today, got the first side of flock down,, front of the barn and one side of the road in, found one issue in my applicator isn't suited for 6mm so have had to order some 4mm instead, won't hurt as the shades the same, will mix them up and hopefully get a better stand to it then 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Will be ordering more trees shrubs ect for this hopefully this week , have also had a sort out and now have an extra 90cm deep x 80 cm wide field extension to the second field, this will allow me to wrap it round the house,and put a red jcn at the end , although I need to get the lolly sheet in to raise it all first, plus add some better lighting to it on both sides so I can see round, 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

i get them direct from a guy I found on eBay mate, he makes to size and order for me, does hedges and all sorts, all hand made using real twigs and a likes for the trunks, I can ask him if he will take orders from others when I put my new one in, got to say they are the best trees I have seen 

• Like 1

Took an hrs flex this afternoon seeing as I am working tomorrow and got home to find the small flock had arrived, so went up and had a try, it has stood a bit better, but I suspect I need to modify the applicator, maybe up it to 9v not 3 ,as the good ones seem to be that voltage, only went cheap as I do not need, at present, to do a huge area

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

I am getting there slowly mate, the new smaller field I recon will be a nice back drop for the beet kit once done, keep the opposite side for the grain crops I think, not really decided on what I will use the one around the house for?? Once I get it lit properly I may keep it as a root crop ?? 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good go at this again today, sadly run out of materials to finish the track end and split between both fields, so this is to be done this week while I am off with luck but it does work,so with some more detailing I will be happy with it,sadly Mandy was out of stock on her track mat so I have used air dried clay to make it,and this has allowed tyre marks ect, also finished e grass and started adding the trees and bushes to it

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Cheers mike , it's slowly getting there, just worried that when this sides done I will want to redo the other which I was happy with , I may yet do a big tree order for that , replace the cheap China ones I used . But that may well be after I finish the extra field ect on this side 

got the track finished today to a certain point , just waiting for the grass to glue down properly then I can seal it all, next step is find some more 1" thick polystyrene sheet to raise the area round the house up,and crest the new field , once in place and sized I can order some more shaper sheet and plaster to finish that and the ditch in the middle of the two fields 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

I have also added an extra light at the main yard end so I can now see it properly. It's an area you don't normally see, but this will all get leveled up to match now and the muck heaps going to be made over, will now be a sleeper version with earth banks around it for support, 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4