ash tree farm, tms farm work in progress

Tractorman810

I have the gear ready to go,but the stuff I need to form the banks is out of stock in the local shops, so it's had to be an eBay buy joe. It's a sheet that doesn't required any thing under it to form hills ect, it's a lot easier to use compared  to plaster roll,lot less messy overall. Once painted as a base coat, so you don't see the White, it sets rock hard ,so I can drill holes for the trees, will also allow me to shape the bridges/ banks into the fields a lot easier this way, get pipes through them ect 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodland-Scenics-C1178-Shaper-Sheet-9-in-x-72-in-/131673832391?hash=item1ea85f3bc7:g:vzEAAOSwBahVU3U2

• Like 1

Seems to be the choice of the model rail lot, very quick and easy to shape, can be used with a plaster on it to,just paint on type, but most let the base coat green do the work,as it's cheaper, then apply the flock as normal with pva and the thingy with the voltage wire, names gone out of my head :-[

I'd recommend a brown base coat personally Sean. With it being 1/32 it gives a realistic look of mud underneath the grass. Form above muddy patches and individual strands of grass can be seen like if you looked down at your feet in a field and down at eye level it all looks green as it would looking across a field.

Thanks Chris, plenty of others done, Pettit trailer , western dump,sprayer, all are in this topic, got two other combines drawn out to make some time,if I ever get time,one class one nh/ clayson ,at least one of them is  going to have a twist to it mind, once I finish the beet harvester and 2 other bits I am mid way through

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to restarting the main road into the farm, the previous version was cut lengths of grass mat from Mandy (HLT) but I really need this for the other side to finish that off, the basic shapes and ditches are formed using a product called "shaper sheet" from woodland scenics a sort of foil backed material,this doesn't require anything underneath it,so a lot easier to use. which is them brushed over with a liquid plaster setting it hard, you can get the same effect with painting it to, but as I have undulations in the fields and road I found it wouldn't sit right till plastered, it then stayed where you wanted it, this stuff should allow. Me to put the sleeper bridge between the two fields I had always wanted, and with luck finish the ditch between them, 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

The roadway will be redone to,hopefully in a better finish , along with the house entrance and the last bit of road before that, plan is to add a new board to the left of the house to gain a corner of a field and a road Jan away to the back, .the grass mat I recovered has now been laid down in roug place round the other main field, finishing it off better than the hanging basket stuff I current use, matching in with the track mat I have that side ,again from Mandy at HLT, I now have enough to with luck add another end board with a field on this side, keeping it all matched with luck .i am also planning to replace the hedge row along the front with a grass bank and fence,dotted with trees so I can get a better view and access into the yard, reusing the big hedges as a rear boundary line along the field running along the road side  of the layout, 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Sean, 

1, Have you got a photo of your attic from as far back as possible so we can see the total size of the space your diorama is in

2, Is there a model that you want on the diorama that you don't have 

3, Is there a building that you want on the diorama that you wish you had the space for (or will be adding at a later date)?

D, ever considered putting some board onto the rafters and painting blue so it looks like sky (or dark grey as it's UK based diorama!!!)?

• Like 2

Yes I can try and get a pic from each side from as back as I can get, it's prob 3.5 m long by 3/4 m wide on each side and the centre board with the main part of buildings is 2.5m wide by about 1m deep  total with at the widest is 3.5 wide(yard and fields each side)  across the back wall.

The model I want at present would be the armer salmon harvester, hence why I am building it, but that also comes with seed drill and beet hoe for it ( watch workbench topic in a min) ,I count my self lucky enough to be able to have a good go at something I want,even if it takes me a while,there's plenty of donor stuff out there now, once that's done the list is endless unless uh or a likes do them before me 

building wise  I would like to do a old style granary  building ,bit like Tris did, the real ash tree had one where we kept the combine over winter,I between the two internal grain silos, and on the opposite side was the mixing plant over two levels for when we used to make our own pig meal would reverse in with the trailer and the top level was only 3 ft higher than the trailer bed so easy to drop the sacks on , with a silo outside feeding it via an auger system, this  backed onto one of the pig breeding units  ,only had one big set of doors to get in,not the through style you usually see , hopefully it will come,as I have the scaleoxx blocks to make it, once I get a cast of them so I can do more. It will probably go where the newest tractor barn is at present as it matches the ash tree real position ,so that may well go in time or move to a new out building somewhere ??

when I get some time I am hoping to add a blue boarding for sky with a back drop lower down to get some distance effect, now I am back at the banks ect it may well come sooner than I planned, will have plenty of plasterboard I can use soon in off cuts which will take paint nice and easy 

• Like 3

Excellent :)

Beet hoe is on my list, is it called a steerage hoe, think the one my Dad used was blue (Ransome?), and I too want an Armer Salmon Cheetah beet harvester as that's what my Dad used aswell, been on the to do list for 10 years!!

At the time perfect 32 did there's I hadn't got the cash spare,(just bough her new car) otherwise I would have had one there and then , plus I had already started mine anyway all be it a year earlier. Just things get in the way,like work. I built the Richard western dump trailer for the scene , so it's a plan I have had for ages, do have to confess mind, we had a Vicon harvester , a non bunker one , we tried to buy local and Vicon were in Ipswich at the time , but the armer just stands out so that's the way I went

Got the rest of the main road in done now, and the house entrance, no pics as its just a longer version of he pic above really, just waiting for it to set and I can go down the ditch between the fields then, need to build a wood sleeper bridge between them,wide enough(just) for the combine to go over, which will probably mean a small grass/rough area in that corner for it to meet land, once the last ditch is in I can then base coat it all brown, and try the flock applicator out , think I have enough shaper sheet to make the front bank for the farm to, but may be tight on the plaster front, I have also been pondering over Barry's question about buildings and it's really got me thinking about starting a new granary building, to go where the new looking tractor shed is. Would be a pretty simple build to do bar the roof, which is the same as the house so I would need loads of those tiles again, unless I can find a good quality plasti card sheet of that tile effect, ,already have all the wooden cladding and bricks for the lower wall , so watch this space, after all it's way to wet to go out to the shed and finish /paint stuff at the mo ,have already found some very nice mess effect internal grain silos for it to 

• Like 2