Just reading the report into the fatal helicopter crash wher 16 men died. Seems that the gearbox failed and as a result the main rotor became detached and severed the rear boom and rotor. They stood no chance after such a catestrophic failure and falling like a stone from 2000 ft surely the helicopter operators must ground the super puma fleet until the cause for this failure is found :'( :'(

Any loss of life is so sad for the families of those who died in unexpected circumstances like the helicopter crash. Its really awful how their lives can be upturned in literally moments.

The following link is a true story of a stricken aircrafts miraculous escape from Germany in world war two.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=12563

This brought a lump to my throat reading it. Unbelievable as it may seem, it is totally true, and quite heart warming to read of such compassion.  :)

mother and young daughter killed today on the main a38, ploughed into the back of a mf3000 and fraser trailer at arround 9 this morn, looking at the pics the farmer didnt appear to have a beacon on, ,but even then, how do you miss a tractor and trailer ,not exactly small

mother and young daughter killed today on the main a38, ploughed into the back of a mf3000 and fraser trailer at arround 9 this morn, looking at the pics the farmer didnt appear to have a beacon on, ,but even then, how do you miss a tractor and trailer ,not exactly small

A terrible loss of life sean. Where about on the A38 did it happen? Stiil have family ad friends that live down that way.

i never run with a beacon on Sean, maybe i should no but still how she miss it
same here never switch it on when im hauling i thought it was just as long as you had indicators lights and reflectors in place it was alright

You do not have to run with a beacon unless you are travelling on a dual carriageway.

Most farmers near me run a second beacon on the trailer as depending on the trailer you cannot see the tractor beacons.

Well I run with two on the tractor EVERY time I'm on the road... and I also run a beacon on the back of my Bailey when I'm on a dual carriageway... My philosophy is this... what's the point of having them on a tractor if you are not going to use them  :-\

The more visible I am the safer it is for other road users I reckon... some people are simply mad when it comes to their use of the road - I work on the 'every little helps' policy.

I guess the counter argument is that 'jo-public' should be looking where they are going, and indeed be responsible for their own actions.  But lets not forget... every person is someones son or daughter :-\

A terrible loss of life sean. Where about on the A38 did it happen? Stiil have family ad friends that live down that way.

You do not have to run with a beacon unless you are travelling on a dual carriageway.

Most farmers near me run a second beacon on the trailer as depending on the trailer you cannot see the tractor beacons.

ashburton mate, heading plymouth bound,  axels on the trailer was right up middle of the chassis looking at the pics,must have hit it at a fair rate

murray i always asumed it was law to have beacons  on when on public roads now, sure robbo or bgu will confirm, but we always had beacons on when on the road even in the 80's, saftey first and all that

if im on the road and i have a beacon, or beacons. They are always on, More for the crack than anything, Beacons are mitey  ;D:D :D

But, im almost sure you only need them on by law if your on a duel carriageway and cannot exceed 25mph  ;)

never knew that mate, this was on a dual carrage way, was on again tonight,linked with yet another accident down near plymouth,   and the 3000 fergy didnt have a beacon on, loads down here don't

we used them magnetic ones, every tractor had one in the cab for road work

if im on the road and i have a beacon, or beacons. They are always on, More for the crack than anything, Beacons are mitey  ;D:D :D

Yous just have to have them on when you in Northern Ireland, our teleporter came with none on it and we went and put one on it, when we shift at night it definatley helps going down country roads

recon so, but there was one last year i saw rep in a vw people carrier plough into the back of a mtx and western sialge trailer, ,must have seen it at the last min, as he had tore the whole passanger side  back to the rear door, engine the lot, he was fine, trailer was stuffed, and that guy had no beacons, got away with it to

Yous just have to have them on when you in Northern Ireland, our teleporter came with none on it and we went and put one on it, when we shift at night it definatley helps going down country roads

That sounds like common sense. 

As a car driver I hate meeting on-coming tractors at night as generally their front lights are as blinding as searchlights.  Do tractor front lamps have a dip switch?

That sounds like common sense. 

As a car driver I hate meeting on-coming tractors at night as generally their front lights are as blinding as searchlights.  Do tractor front lamps have a dip switch?

Yes well the 6410 Jd does just noticed that the other day,somedriver may not just be bothered to make that long strech to reach it  and dip them.

They do Sue... same as a car... the problem is... they are adjusted to a tractor with no load on the rear (if indeed they are even adjusted at all).. so as soon as you load up the back (with a linkage mounted implement... or even a heavy trailer) the front lifts just enough to shine the lamps in motorists eyes  :-\

ashburton mate, heading plymouth bound,  axels on the trailer was right up middle of the chassis looking at the pics,must have hit it at a fair rate

murray i always asumed it was law to have beacons  on when on public roads now, sure robbo or bgu will confirm, but we always had beacons on when on the road even in the 80's, saftey first and all that

Sean

I believe it to be only on dual carriageways but I will get a definitive answer for you as soon as I can on where and when beacons are required