Thats terrible news Mike

I may not agree with them being out there but I do admire them for what they are doing. My own cousin has just retired from the Army at 40 years old, his last tour of duty being in Afghanistahn so we were relieved when he returned home safe. We dread to think of what he's seen and been through out there as of all the tours he's been on its this last one that seems to have had the most effect on him, my Uncle has said he's not the same person he was before he went away but is slowly starting to settle down again now.

really sorry to hear that mike, pass on my condolences to the familly, and tell them we all respect what they are doing, i know how it feels in a way as we lost a friend in the ira bomb blast at deal barracks all those years ago, not the same reason, but same feeling

• 3 weeks later...

Some of you may know more about this than me but my Mums partner, Steve has been bed ridden for two weeks with siatic nerve trouble in his hip. It started with stiffness, he made it to work as a tipper driver for 5am two weeks ago but could not get out of his car. Getting himself home an hour later and Mum had to help him back in to the house where she laid him up and called the doctor. Morphine, Diazipam, a load of other drugs later, sweats, sleep deprivation even tears due to the pain he is in. This morning to top it all he had a stroke and is now in hospital. I didn't speak to Mum for four years after my parents separation but yet I have never seen her shed a tear. Spoke to her on the phone just now I could tell she was holding them back so I think I better pop round and take a big hug with me!

Some of you may know more about this than me but my Mums partner, Steve has been bed ridden for two weeks with siatic nerve trouble in his hip. It started with stiffness, he made it to work as a tipper driver for 5am two weeks ago but could not get out of his car. Getting himself home an hour later and Mum had to help him back in to the house where she laid him up and called the doctor. Morphine, Diazipam, a load of other drugs later, sweats, sleep deprivation even tears due to the pain he is in. This morning to top it all he had a stroke and is now in hospital. I didn't speak to Mum for four years after my parents separation but yet I have never seen her shed a tear. Spoke to her on the phone just now I could tell she was holding them back so I think I better pop round and take a big hug with me!

oo hell tris, hope he gets well soon mate, been through all of that in the last 5 years plus more, so know what shes going through mate

o deere tris hope he getts better soon and you get you butt around to your mums house and give her the hug she needs mate i know how you feel as my parents split

One of my spaniels died :(  but she left in the bast way, asleep near the aga. And 11 years old wasnt bad :-\ :(

Sorry to hear that buddy...

And Trissy.... all sounds very sad mate... life is far too short to not speak to your loved ones I reckon... good on you for taking the plunge to give mum some support in her time of need buddy

You're poor Mum - I hope he gets better soon. And I understand your feelings - I didn't speak to my dad for 7 years after he left my Mum, but eventually I realised you can't remove family completely from your life (and head), however hard you try and whatever happens you don't stop loving them.

Very true, Mandy. It's been 13/14 years now and I'd say the last six I have had a great relationship with my 'old dear' ! :)

Steve came home a day later without even having a scan for the stroke. He was also sent home without any medication, pain relief or information for Mum or his GP. He turned up on the doorstep, his ex-wife was visiting with Steves son who brought him home. The split second decision, lack of important info, scan and medication/pain relief all made Mum hit the roof. She spent all weekend cutting the grass and weeding . . . . well it did need doing!

::)

Shambles by the sound of it.

now that's very poor mate, ian was in for 5 days after his stroke, even though the following day he was ok movement wise, they took no chances, dont think he had any medication as such mind, ,he suffered memory lose and a slight speak impediment out of it mind ,

must confess i have not spoken to my father for a shocking 23 years now,only seen him twice in passing to in that time, in the car, since he left my mother, something i am not proud of but the situation has lead both me and my brother into the same issue, wont bore you with it 

iwhen i suffered my stroke i had two scans within hours of arriving at the hospital, i lost the use of my left arm, speech went funny, eyesight was next to u/s, no balance whatsoever couldnt stand or even sit up, couldnt swallow and loads of other problems. i spent five weeks in there , balance still wobbily and walking with sticks, speech is like being on helium sometimes, eyesight coming back and got use of left arm back. there are few more issues  to overcome in time. i am so lucky to have love and support of my family. and lucky to have support of ftf members too. thanks to all that have sent messages, nick

iwhen i suffered my stroke i had two scans within hours of arriving at the hospital, i lost the use of my left arm, speech went funny, eyesight was next to u/s, no balance whatsoever couldnt stand or even sit up, couldnt swallow and loads of other problems. i spent five weeks in there , balance still wobbily and walking with sticks, speech is like being on helium sometimes, eyesight coming back and got use of left arm back. there are few more issues  to overcome in time. i am so lucky to have love and support of my family. and lucky to have support of ftf members too. thanks to all that have sent messages, nick

Brave man - what a journey you have travelled, stay focussed and positive. with love and best wishes from Cerin and Jo  :)

Well done, Nick. Glad to hear your not letting it all get the better of you.

The medication is for the siatic trouble Sean. Apart from the stroke, Steves condition is still the same with the pain, vomiting, insomnia etc. Mum had to go to RUH Bath to get them and even get the letter for the GP!! Abismal, Mum is even running errans for the NHS as well as being a nurse to somebody who should be an NHS patient >:(

• 4 weeks later...

I know Paul losing a pet to a child or even adult is like losing a family member but time is a great healer.

Look on the bright side I'm sure the kids will get over it very soon...probably sooner than you.

My thoughts are with you.

sad news about a guy i worked with for 20 years  until last year, when he retired early . he and his wife went on a 1 year round the world trip, flights only, then car, coach train  or camper to explore about 6 months ago which they had been planning for 3 years before they left, 

unfortunatly he suffered a huge heart attack whilst on a train in tialand or arround there, no ones quiet sure just yet,sadly he passed away before they could get to anywhere that had decent medical care to help him