Ebay... Crazy prices... useful links etc.

THEBRITFARMER

yeah pretty rare to find boxed even, i have the tanker / tractor unboxed,but mines yellow body red fittings, not sure which ones harder to find the black or red version?? found mine for 5 quid at the coldridge day a few years back, got a green seeder/harrow to for 7 quid boxed

yeah pretty rare to find boxed even, i have the tanker / tractor unboxed,but mines yellow body red fittings, not sure which ones harder to find the black or red version?? found mine for 5 quid at the coldridge day a few years back, got a green seeder/harrow to for 7 quid boxed

I have the red version and have seen sets with the red version and the massey, also the yellow version with the industrial Deutz. However, never seen a massey with yellow (industrial) tanker. 

After looking at other ebay listings i rather think this may be a 'put togther' set.  What do you think?

no its not, that set is a real issued britains one, its the yellow body on the red  chassis, the auto ways a black chassis, just had a look at the pics and it looks 100 % to me, the bauber stickers a very fine foil one, and no way could you peel it off and swap it, it would tear way to easy

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: 

Good luck to him......what it might do is increase the bids on the one he has in auction at the moment and increase the price of it, some might say good marketing!!

I have the red version and have seen sets with the red version and the massey, also the yellow version with the industrial Deutz. However, never seen a massey with yellow (industrial) tanker. 

After looking at other ebay listings i rather think this may be a 'put togther' set.  What do you think?

The tanker is correct as I have this set with yellow tank bought as old stock from a shop in 1990 (the set was deleted at the end of 1987). The tractor in that set may possibly be incorrect - the 2680 with the silver grey fully glazed cab was only available during the first year of production (1985), and from 1986 on had a white unglazed cab (still glazed until later in 1986), white wheels and white grille surround (which is the version in my set).  It is assumed that Britains were using up yellow tanks after deletion of the Autoway series at the end of 1986, and so would be unlikely to have the 1985 version of the MF2680 in them, but it isn't impossible (though I've not seen another silver cab with the yellow tank in this set). 

I can't see any other possible 'put together' items amongst his other recent listings.

The Britains Centenary tractor with blue casting is a variation I haven't seen before, and could possibly be concocted - it is a very easy job to swap the plastic parts onto a blue casting,  and for that reason I wouldn't value it at a premium over the normal silver casting version, but wouldn't necessarily say it is 'a put together' one either (elsewhere, someone recently posted a picture of one with a black casting).

The Britains Centenary tractor with blue casting is a variation I haven't seen before, and could possibly be concocted - it is a very easy job to swap the plastic parts onto a blue casting,  and for that reason I wouldn't value it at a premium over the normal silver casting version, but wouldn't necessarily say it is 'a put together' one either (elsewhere, someone recently posted a picture of one with a black casting).

I had thought of that myself before I bought it but I have great faith in the seller as I have bought many items from him in the past and he has a wealth of Britains items as well as a good knowledge of what is and is not genuine.  Im sure if there is a problem with it he will not hesitate in giving me a refund if i am not happy.  I will be giving it a thorough examination when I get it and if its not up to scratch itll be straight back to him!

If it is genuine Im happy to say that I have a fairly unique variation as well as the original grey I already have in my collection.  I will also be keeping an eye out for the black casting too and any other variations I can find

If it is genuine Im happy to say that I have a fairly unique variation as well as the original grey I already have in my collection.  I will also be keeping an eye out for the black casting too and any other variations I can find

Great stuff, i have, since posting this, seen the black chassis version.

Im relativly new to collecting and also 80's is bit before my time.  Hence its really great that i can learn from you chaps. 

Much appreciated for the info, will look out for these variations now I know they exist. 

Hi Guys those black chassis centenerys are around ;) . Theres a mint boxed one on it's way to Canada today :) . Just picked it up for an offer of 70 pounds against 80.00 buy it now,

Maybe it's not cheap but it's only the second one we know of and i hope it's original. I had been watching it for a while in a guys store, I thought id try my luck before the values maybe go sky high in bidding wars :-\ .

Regards Robert                 

Well I bought a boxed one at Penrith as well  Brian  which was in very good condition.

The seller was asking £ 16.50 and I got it for £ 14.67. I did buy another model at the same time but even then I was happy with my purchase since I had been looking for a decent boxed set for a while.

23112010024.jpg

23112010027.jpg

i got a few of them bill .got theearly  major one as well

So is it still in a straw box just with the earlier Major tractor Rob  and what about the colour of the sacks ??? ???

Very nice BC, i remember geting one of those sets when i was a wee fella in the late 80s always loved the link box as it was about the only model at the time that was exactly the same as one we had at home

Yes it is funny how you tended to like a model or toy more if you could relate it to the real deal ;) ;)

Great buy there BC. I see it has the brown sacks rather than the grey, early version i expect? I have boxed on with grey and brown sacks and paid closer to 20 each. Good model to add to your collection.

Yes I was pleased with this buy Jay since I had been following ones which went for a lot more on Ebay. I do prefer dealing face to face or with folk I know instead of Ebay I must admit. Mines a straw box but I don't know if this was the earliest type of packaging or not :-

I bought a job lot of various loads and fences and feeders etc and included was a box with grey sacks

30112010004.jpg

On the box there is 20 so I assume that is post decimalisation ( after 15th February 1971 ) so Twenty pence and well yes I now wonder too if the brown sacks were actually older than the grey ones :-\

16 mins to go and £41 am i missing something  " mind you i have 3 on the shelf in the same condition " from my carpet farming days now i wonder could i be as lucky?