BGU goes ploughing AND Seeding

BGU

I was told that due to the PTO being so low on the Deere it was really important to stop the PTO before lifting the seed drill as it was higly likely that I would break the PTO shaft.

Why is the Deere so bad for this or is it just a problem with this set up?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nar... most PTO implemts are like that Kev.. anything over 20 degrees and you'll most likely lock the yolks and bend the shaft.. or worse still damage the tractor  :o :o

Doesn't pay to fully lift any PTO implement for that reason... you can extend the shaft so long it pops out... or in some cases squash it beyond it's sliding length and really 'muller' things up...

Frankie has got a set it and forget it dial (as have most modern tractors)... you can limit the drop rate... lift height etc. - set it up carefully and you should be able to hit the button safe in the knowledge that things don't go horribly wrong behind you..

The Deere had the set it and forget it dials. Flick the button and it raises up to the preset height. Another dial to adjust the height.

He said that even raising it whilst operating so that the land wheel cleared the ground was probably enough to nacker the shaft.?

I was told that due to the PTO being so low on the Deere it was really important to stop the PTO before lifting the seed drill as it was higly likely that I would break the PTO shaft.

Why is the Deere so bad for this or is it just a problem with this set up?

Its not just that Deere Kev, its a trait of those Amazone power harrows/drill combinations, we had the same with our 4m one on 4 different tractors, most implements you can get away with it but when you have a drill on the back it needs to be lifted higher which will cause the joints to knock, I have seen a pto shaft yoke split before (on our Amazone) and it wasn't a pretty sight so best just to shut off as its no great hardship to do.

Thanks Mark & Gav.

You are right it was no hardship and I am grateful for being let loose with the kit so will always do as I am told!! ;):D

Whats all this guff about the Deutz - sounded like a bag of nails - has a handbrake that was a throw back from a vintage lorry?? :D

Thanks Mark & Gav.

You are right it was no hardship and I am grateful for being let loose with the kit so will always do as I am told!! ;):D

Whats all this guff about the Deutz - sounded like a bag of nails - has a handbrake that was a throw back from a vintage lorry?? :D

Tut tut Kev - quality German engineering I'll tell you ;D

dont knock the other green kev  ;)

so does this mean you'll be let loose on the harvester next year ?

I wouldn't think so. I've already said I don't fancy any trailer work - so cocked that up already!!!

I did ask  him to let me know when it was being harvested so I could take some pictures.

I have absolutely no experience of reversing a trailer of any kind!! :-[:-[

Trying to get into a small yard to tip a trailer!!! :-\ :-\ :-\

you'll pick it up in minutes Kev... why not ask him for a tractor & trailer for an hour in a large open space...

It's really not hard to master (well... get good enough to be effective anyway) ... honest gov  :)

Don't fear it Kev - a bit of practice and if you are used to the tractor it should be no problem - I am not a pro myself but if I take my time, use the mirrors and tip up enough so I can see behind the trailer it is usually fine - the first time is the hardest - believe me :D :D

as the others said kev few trys and you will soon pic it up, far easier with 8/10 ton trailers than the ones we use at work, at least you can see them and what they are doing,when reversing to the auger just tip the trailer a little ,you can see between the body and chassis then, for distance but doing that on the farm has made it a lot easier for me at work ,only mirros and the wheels when they are at an angle there, never hit anythign yet,

top and bottom of it Mr Kev... if I can do it... you can do it mate that's a fact... highly trained traffic officer... it will be a walk in the park for you...

next time you are over this way come and play with my trailer... you are more than welcome anytime  ;)

to let you into a secret.... I can do it... but I have to look behind me... can't do it in the mirrors  :-[

I have absolutely no experience of reversing a trailer of any kind!! :-[:-[

Trying to get into a small yard to tip a trailer!!! :-\ :-\ :-\

Quite simple really after some practice preferably without on lookers  ;) ;).... liking riding a bike really once mastered you won't forget it

• 1 month later...

How did you know!! ;):) :)

Beats going to work and dealing with cr@p

because thats the same thought that went through my mind every time i'd finished any ploughing , thats what job satisfaction is all about, the last look into the field as you shut the gate , the thought of , job well done that  :)