Where are those UK sugar beet pictures?

Richard de Florennes

What I would like to know: Am I the only one watching and photographing any sugar beet harvesting operations on behalf of this forum?

I am not complaining but I am just so curious about comparing operations and equipment over here with what you have there on your island ;-)

By the way, if I would like to take sugar beet action photos maybe next autumn (2009), what particular regions in the UK have the most sugar beet fields?

Well in answer to your first question RDF probably yes ;D ;D

Here in the North East of Scotland - Aberdeen there is no sugar beet grown as far as I'm aware.

The closest sugar beet factory was in Cupar in Fife but I'm sure that closed way back in the 1970's

In a nutsheel I don't think you will find to much sugar beet grown in Scotland.

There is only one factory left in England isn't there?

We did a field trip with college in '99 to the only grower in Wiltshire. I don't think they have grown it for a few years now though. We also went to Kidderminster factory which is now also closed I think. Anyone?

Is only Bury st edmonds is open now?

Was there not a beet factory on that Jimmys farm that suppied gas to a tomatoe greenhouse?

The one near Shrewsbury closed last year or year before.

The farm i used to live on invested in a Vervaet T17 had one good arvest with it, the the nearest plant closed down, never got the return to pay for the machine, they still have it for the odd bit of sheep fodder they grow, and a bit of contract work.

I used to like to watch the beet harvest around here, but as Bazza says the factory in Shropshire (Allscott) closed last year so no one grows it now - except perhaps a bit for fodder, and I think there are a few growers who shift it to Bury...but haven't seen any this year.  Far more in the way of Potatoes, but haven't had chance to see any being lifted so far.

I remember going to the Kidderminster beet factory as a child... I forget how long it's been closed now but it's a few years....

Our neighbour contract lifts [or did anyway] a bit [all grown for feed] with an Armer Salmon trailed tanker lifter.... went hauling with them a couple of times years ago but not seen any of that kit move for a while.... I don't really know of anyone else growing anything round Hfds / Worcs / Shrops.....

Wissington.... the biggest beet conversion factory in Europe don't forget  ;)

Richard... IF I can get out of the office for a day I'll snap you some pics buddy - not really my thing to be honest - but with your great pics - one good turn deserves another is an apt expression buddy  ;)

Here it is.. it's like a city really... hoooooooooge

DSC_5941.jpg

Richard... IF I can get out of the office for a day I'll snap you some pics buddy - not really my thing to be honest - but with your great pics - one good turn deserves another is an apt expression buddy  ;)

Thanks can not wait for those pics, then at is Bury St. Edmunds and Wissington next autumn for me, hoping to see beet harvest UK style then ...

Is that a field of curly kale(or grunkohl as it is known as in Germany) in the forground

Dont think ive ever seen any in east yorkshire, Think the soil is too heavy.

There used to be a Sugar Beet factory at Selby which took quite a lot from the East Yorkshire area.

I believe there is still some grown around the Cambridge area as well as Oliver Walston over on BFF has grown some at Thriplow

A Holmer Terra Dos 6 row harvester

http://pics-by-james.photos.me.uk/c1400039.html

http://pics-by-james.photos.me.uk/c1595020.html

And the big 9 row monster, although these 2 links are of a diffrent machine as the 1 in the link in my previous post is a new machine

http://pics-by-james.photos.me.uk/c1091272.html

http://pics-by-james.photos.me.uk/c1396397.html

very interesting link there - thanks for sharing. And: more please! Like the Matrot beet harvester plus the old Ford with dumper trailer!

Not sure i follow about the Matrot and Ford  ???