My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some more work done to the Marshall project, the ERTLs DB cab needed the steps removed, now this is quite tricky as there metal and are part of the cab so some fine dremel work and then a lot of hand filing was required....also cut out the roof panel and the square hole down through the cab top underneath the roof, again all metal

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG

yes Paul, between a dremel and a 4" grinder, after a while you do get pretty good on both, ive sometimes had the mark of the dremels blade on my fingers and the 4" grinders fine cutting discs,  you are coming close when you see that. I actually burned my first dremel out way back and never got round to buying another for nearly a year until I started the TONG PEAL grader project and then I knew I absolutely need one again, in that time I done all my cutting with the 4".... By all standards my methods are probably crude and indeed dangerous but maybe I'm just old fashioned in my approach...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A PMA axle was fitted as it had a wider track width but also longer stub pins which was needed to lift the bonnet up closer to the cabs front windscreens lower pillar, it's a very time consuming conversion and a long way to go yet

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

most certainly not Stan... My model building days are near over as I'm now back to construction again, the 7 year slump is now over and its all systems go again. I get very little time now for model building although I have a few remaining items to build for a customer, id still like to build an odd model for myself and now when I compare a normal wage to what is earned at models makes it just seem totally pointless to take on any more items for other folk. Time was always the big issue in scratchbuilding and unfortunately theres nothing that can be done to reduce it in most cases and there was always constant bills for brass, paint, decals and other materials, I got through a huge amount of projects and I kept many models to add to my own collection along the way, some didn't mean as much as others so I didn't keep one of everything.

changes will now take place on the rear linkage, an assistor ram and a pick up hitch and also an extended levelling lever that enters into the back of the cab being the main changes.. The whole conversion would probably have been slightly easier to do with a 4wd front axle to make it  804 but the new problem here is the front rims were unique to this tractor as ive never seen anything similar on any other tractor although the very last of the 804/904 models featured a slightly dished type rim which just may have been "do-able" .

6 minutes ago, B O R said:

changes will now take place on the rear linkage, an assistor ram and a pick up hitch and also an extended levelling lever that enters into the back of the cab being the main changes.. The whole conversion would probably have been slightly easier to do with a 4wd front axle to make it  804 but the new problem here is the front rims were unique to this tractor as ive never seen anything similar on any other tractor although the very last of the 804/904 models featured a slightly dished type rim which just may have been "do-able" .

look forward to the pictures Brian,are you saying the 802 front wheels were unique? wouldnt a set of britains ford 66/7600 front wheels do?

31 minutes ago, B O R said:

no Paul, I'm saying the 804/904 4wd front wheels were unique to this tractor, there a very unusual design, ive never seen similar on anything else

oh,sorry Brian i thought you meant the 2 wd wheel was unique,got you now

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived