My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Completed New Holland self propelled harvesters will be along soon... And unfortunately itll be one of my last projects that ill be selling as ive decided from here on ill be only building for my own personal collection and maybe have an odd item for sale from time to time.. Ive been doing too many hours and quite simply it doesn't pay as the cost of materials is too high but also the amount of hours required in my projects no longer works in with my day job and home life, I thank all my customers for their support and hope that ive brought a few machines they used to own or use to life in 1/32  

Hell Brian, they look stunning 8), puts the one I have that you built the header for to shame..... and what a model to retire from commercial building on. Fantastic work, Would say your the 32nd equivalent of Andy at Classic Combines and I think there will be a few folk that will sadly miss your commercial model builds.

thank yous all for the nice comments.... due to a cancellation I have one available to buy but naturally such a model cannot be posted due to me not trusting the postal service with them

• 2 weeks later...

New project, been on the.cards now for some time.   802 Marshall.   There's really only one road to go down for this one and that's a proper scale down kit as a base, was waiting on UHs David browns for a cab but it's not coming so moving on now with Ertls 

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

49 minutes ago, B O R said:

The 384 Paul, I'm not sure if there is another??? The customer supplied all the parts and I did previously build him a standard 384

I think there is a 270 but only available fully assembled. 

yes, the pre marshall version was the Leyland... the 802 and 804 are actually the older 282 and 482 models in yellow.. I drove a 282 one summer carting silage and loved the turbo exhaust note, good lively tractor but unfortunately many Leyland 4/98 engines suffered from head gasket problems, my neighbour has a marshall 804 now for around 14 years and had that many head gasket problems that he ended up fitting a perkins 1000 series engine, there was a bit of work involved getting it to fit but hes never looked back...the 282 I drove belonged to a small contractor who cut the grass with a Leyland 285 which was a 6 cylinder tractor with the exhaust running up the back of the cab, the engine was named a 6/98 and I don't think they were as prone to head gasket failure, pity Leyland/marshall didn't survive but they just ran into too many problems.....

2 hours ago, B O R said:

yes, the pre marshall version was the Leyland... the 802 and 804 are actually the older 282 and 482 models in yellow.. I drove a 282 one summer carting silage and loved the turbo exhaust note, good lively tractor but unfortunately many Leyland 4/98 engines suffered from head gasket problems, my neighbour has a marshall 804 now for around 14 years and had that many head gasket problems that he ended up fitting a perkins 1000 series engine, there was a bit of work involved getting it to fit but hes never looked back...the 282 I drove belonged to a small contractor who cut the grass with a Leyland 285 which was a 6 cylinder tractor with the exhaust running up the back of the cab, the engine was named a 6/98 and I don't think they were as prone to head gasket failure, pity Leyland/marshall didn't survive but they just ran into too many problems.....

allways nice to hear a story or two Brian,as i said i will be following this,i would dearly love a leyland 802 in my collection

As others have said, this will be an interesting build Brian,:) The 384 chassis should be very similar to the 802, as from the Nuffield 4/65 onwards they made the tractors longer than the older Universal's, and 60's and didn't change this much until the introduction of the XL creeper gearbox which gave 15 speeds instead of 9 standard.... I believe these XL tractors are approx. 8" longer than a standard 802/804 but in the gearbox rather than chassis frame. I'd say the linkage will need a bit of work to get away from the 384's swinging drawbar to the 802's pick-up hitch and assistor. Look forward to seeing it take shape :) The 285 and 2100 were a good idea that didn't really work in practice, as when Leyland fitted the 6/98's they moved away from the cast chassis under the engine and the chassis was formed out of two lengths of flat plate, that allowed after time a degree of twist and flex between the engine and gearbox (as like the nuffield the two aren't joined with bolts at the bellhousing  so doing the clutch you just remove a half section casting rather than splitting the tractor and pull the shafts back) and this inturn led to a lot of clutch and alignment problems in these tractors, which would have with the power of the 6 been a winner on shaft work especially as you say on forager duty, but as sales died off with the mechanical issues it left the 4/98 turbo  282/482 as Leylands "big" tractor

Archived