My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only pictures I have see of Garveys they are painted the same as other thrashers, pink and red. Scaledown do paints for their Marshall kits.  G & M Originals did a Garvey baler a while back and it was green. Martin from G & M, said it was actually a Jones baler which Garveys painted green.

725897202_Garviesbailer.JPG.304aa736591ae42ec3f4b608a3afb546.JPG

Might not look like much but another 7 hours done    big front housing and cover made and fitted and drum underneath made and fitted on all 6. Wet day so I spent 7 hours working on them    it's nice having a days work when it's raining outside which is why I'll always have some kind of project on the go   this is like a big kitwith loads of parts and no instructions but the difference is ur making ALL the parts yourself 

IMG_20191107_214554.jpg

IMG_20191107_214542.jpg

Thank you. I was looking back through my subject and disappointed at losing most of my early pictures. But I also feel the forum has now lost interest in scratch builds and more about new model reviews so unfortunately after the thresher builds I won't be posting up any more projects to this page   its strange how scratch building has became less interesting then new off the shelf stuff but that's the way 

10 minutes ago, B O R said:

Thank you. I was looking back through my subject and disappointed at losing most of my early pictures. But I also feel the forum has now lost interest in scratch builds and more about new model reviews so unfortunately after the thresher builds I won't be posting up any more projects to this page   its strange how scratch building has became less interesting then new off the shelf stuff but that's the way 

Certainly no interest lost in scratch builds from here Brian, I'm thouroughly enjoying seeing these progress, as I do with all your builds. It's a shame you feel that as I honestly don't think that it reflects the views on here at all and it will be a shame if you choose not to post your future work. Keep up the good work whatever you choose to do next. 

22 minutes ago, B O R said:

Also have to disagree - personally speaking, its probably the first thing I browse at when I visit the site, I also think it goes in cycles and time of the year. certain times of the year there seems to be lots of scratch-builds on the go, then other times it goes a bit quite (probably a lot dependent on full time jobs getting in the way ;)) but earlier this year when John was producing fantastic IH models etc, and tab models was posting up some fabulous Fords/Countys etc - It generated lots of comment and lots of likes, (not to mention other various scratch-builds by different posters)

So I think it will be as sad loss if you don't continue to post future projects Brian (and I wouldn't be lucky enough to have 6 or 7 of your excellent builds - had you not posted them up in the past), and I'm sure if a poll was taken - the scratch-built topics would be a popular section of the forum......

I find your creativity fascinating Brian & a great source of inspiration. Found it tricky enough doing a basic tractor conversion so appreciate the skill required for your level of building. Like many I enjoy off the shelf gear but quietly follow the likes of yourself in an effort to pick up the courage to try building from scratch.

Recently I found it harder to get into the zone of building   it takes an incredible amount of concentration which can be difficult with life to fit in. This summer I spent a lot of time working on my house and just last week I was does speaking to a house cleaner who told me she gets 20quid an hour, in any buikd I've ever done I've never came close to that, which puts it into perspective I guess, if u want to build entirely for yourself then yes it's immensely satisfying but if you're scratch building to sell then you'll never get enough from it, the time involved is massive and to be honest I came  through a rough 2 years due to marriage breakdown so now I'm having to focus on making money and I know I'll never do that at models as much as I'd love to, construction is good right now and any future projects will work around that, an odd evening during the week or a wet day to keep busy  the only man I know that charges according to his high skills is sndy sewell and I completely understand why 

I'm enjoying your work Brian, absolutely stunning. The skill and time that goes into scratchbuilding is staggering .I have to say, I think less people are scratch building stuff but the interest is still there. I personally prefer the older kit and I get bored of new tractors being released but there are more people that collect models instead of making them. I also seem to think the same with dioramas and more and more are being 'bought' not made but that's just my opinion. Keep up the good work mate

I understand totally where you're coming from Brian, unless you do scratch building yourself it's hard to appreciate the time that goes in to a build, I know how two or three hours can go by with seemingly very little to show for it, but I do think that there is still a lot of interest in scratch builds on the forum. Personally I think your builds are a bench mark to aspire to, I hope you decide to share future projects with us but as I say I completely understand what you are saying

EXAMPLE L I was recently asked to build a triple bed tiller with ridgers. Now to build a single tiller with ridgers was around £340, so in effect a triple would be 3 of these and the complex brass framing to carry it all and to fold it up, when I worked it out it'd take £1400 to build this unit. Do you see where I'm coming from. 

i allways follow your work Brian,but yes the price,even doing something very basic like replacing a front block weight for wafer weights say,and this is as basic as it gets,remove existing front weight ,pay for new weight ,or make one,spray it, fix it,not a massive job,but if you put it on ebay I doubt you would make anything on it,allthough if its something that is not made by a mainstream manafactuer and somebody really want something individual isn't there then a demand?

9 hours ago, B O R said:

to be honest I have actually found the opposite, I have been regularly checking the forum since it started and I have lately been thinking that the quality and variety of scratch builds has been increasing substantially.  When you compare to such as the French forum where there are very few diorama and model build updates now.  

I find your work and others scratch builds inspiring, motivating me to spend some time on my work bench.  

I do agree though that there are a lot more posts and comments on new models, I think this is because the OEM's are now producing a far wider and more detailed set of models.  

I truly hope that you do continue to share photos of your projects, as the quality of work is exemplary.  

“its strange how scratch building has became less interesting than new off the shelf stuff”... 

Brian, my other interest is Irish model railways and for years you had to scratch build or ‘convert’ a RTR model to an Irish outline.  Now more and more RTR stock is coming on the market and on similar Irish Railway Model Web Sites the same thing is happening.  These Sites have less and less scratch built content.

Personally I always look for scratch built or converted Farm Models with your impute being one of my favourites so please keep contributing especially if it is of a vintage era.

• 2 weeks later...

More detail added to the models. When new sheet work is cut tosize and fitted it then has to be strengthened which is the time consuming bit.  I guess that's the obvious difference when using brass. Unfortunately to build a model like this from brass would probably cost about 4 to 5 times the price    these models are now turning out just like I wanted and at last I've almost worked my way through them. Once again mistakes were made and corrected along the way. Concentration on getting every detail right eventually takes over all your thoughts 

IMG_20191120_225316.jpg

IMG_20191120_225259.jpg

IMG_20191120_225249.jpg

IMG_20191120_225245.jpg

IMG_20191120_225233.jpg

A few builds are being considered for next year.  New policy however.  ALL MODELS PAID FOR UP FRONT. the chasing payment wears me down. So that's the only policy that has ever been successful for me.  Better pointing that out I think  

No. It'll be part of my childhood potato farm set up. All my neighbours had lorries with bulker bins on 40ft trailers  u know the type with the elevator on the floor to unload. All I need is half ton spud boxes and a load of mf100s and ill finally build exactly what I've always wanted 

Archived