My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

An I see. Yes I've seen those root crop bulkers on the roads. The massey red giants would be a very popular range for a model manufacturer, with all the 1/32 classics we are seeing lately I wouldn't be surprised if your hopes are realised Brian. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope so. The amount of times I loaded them bulker, 24 ton all tipped with either 165 and 40 loader, 185 with front forklift mast, 590 with forklift mast, 575 and 80 loader and often one on each side both loading  we had a full load normally waiting for when the lorry arrived. It was roughly a 3.5 hour round trip including loading and unloading times, took about 45 unloading the bulker

I grew up on 100 series massey and then progressed to 500s, then the 600s.    Very reliable tractors that left an impression  still quite a few potato growers around me today but no bulker now, it's all ton or 2 ton boxes 

36 minutes ago, B O R said:

I grew up on 100 series massey and then progressed to 500s, then the 600s.    Very reliable tractors that left an impression  still quite a few potato growers around me today but no bulker now, it's all ton or 2 ton boxes 

Isn't it funny how so many of our collecting habits have been shaped by what we grew up with and spent time driving years ago. I give you that my growing up wasn't particularly long ago, but the same applies, it also applies to the tractors we have on the farm, they are what I admired as a little nipper and still do.

Loads  of those bulkers still used down this way , and masons still use them as i see them around a fair bit, Despite being a Lincolnshire company, the ginsters company run a good few as they grow and buy locally for the pasties , all in the creamy yellow colours as per the normal rigs you see  

Yes Stan. That will follow as I've 2 others looking for one for the front as well. Luckily I kept all my 307 plans from last time    not too often I repeat a build but the last batch were lovely models I thought and Def one of the best mowers of that era.  My batch has all gone but one. Hoping to start now in a few weeks when threshers are finished. Paint and decals on the way for them at minute. 

It's the red I'll be looking for too as it is to go on an Intrac or 615 as per the above pictures.

I remember Murphy Bros had the set up in Martin's photo in the late 80s. Even the high mounted front lights. Was on Cork plates. It used to mow the headlands and open the field then a second one would arrive with just the trailed mower to mow out the sets. They had a Nissan Patrol ahead of it on the road as it was so wide.

garvie decals arrived.  These in the words of my decal man were challenging. The FONT type is so old he had to go through a special website to create each letter, and even that didn't work so each letter was designed by himself which was very time consuming. He had to go through someone else just to make it possible at all 

IMG_20191130_115954.jpg

I've just found a photo of the rig I was talking about on Murphy Brothers facebook page.

The mower was a FELLA, not a Taarup.

It looks to be a simpler build than the Taarup

But I'll be happy with any late 1980s front mower.

Murphy Bros 615 mowing.jpg

I have to laugh sometimes rather than cry at how difficult it is pulling in payments for models. I have chased and chased folk for payments and the excuses and put offs you get is unreal    do folk ever think about the research, the hours and the headaches involved. Next year I've planned the 307 mowers and that'll be followed by the front 317f. After that I'm giving up on selling anything but will continue to build for myself.  The only way forward is payment up front. A wee tip for future builders   it's degrading running after folk for money so instead demand it up front or no model. 

The simple answer Brian is No, people don't think about it.

I do not build models but I am prepared to pay the extra for someone with the expertise to do it for me. I would be happy to pay a deposit up front but not the full amount, the simple rule has to be, no money, no model and I am sure that you will always find a buyer for your scratch builds as they are unique. I can think of more than one thread on here about people who have ordered models and paid up front only for the seller to disappear and the money never to be refunded.

In my case it was never a question of a model not being complete or delivered  almost every project has ended in me chasing payments. To be honest I don't care if I ever sell another model as quite simply it's the worst paying job ever, if a sideline job comes close or betters your hourly rate at your main job then  yes but if it works out at half the hourly rate u get then its not worth doing   I've considered knocking it all on the head many times before   I've always said if u want a model then buy it. If not then don't   luckily I've also had about a dozen real good customers and a lot of respect between us  all model builders will tell u the same no doubt  why do folk think that potato equipment is so hard to obtain, I could build any machine in the potato growing process but its that time consuming that there's no money in it  so I don't even price it anymore. I have a lot to build for myself in future so I'll work away at that   I'd love to buy Andy sewell stuff but quite simply couldn't afford it but I know it's worth every penny and admire those who collect it andys models aren't too dear, there simply out of the normal man's budget 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, B O R said:

Hell of a lot of work done now on threshers.. More pics soon. Meanwhile here's the Volvo f12-20 progress. All parts painted and assembly only taking place between other jobs 

IMG_20191210_222656.jpg

IMG_20191210_222643.jpg

IMG_20191210_222630.jpg

Volvo is looking good Brian :)

Archived