hedgerow hero's & forgotten friends

MJB1

Is that 411R a second hand import or did Fiat sell some tractors new i the UK in the late fifties/early sixties?

I'm unsure myself Eurodeere. The only other information Dad passed onto me was that the farmer bought it many years ago ( unclear how many ) second hand from a dealer and ran it as the only tractor on his small livestock farm. The tractor has been parked for around a year and a half, the owner deciding he wanted a little more luxury. He's now running a white roofed Ford 7840. 

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

found a few more to join the thread  :'(

ex poole speed way recovery / trac leveler leyland 242 ? although the owner is collecting a lot of parts for a rebuild & it is a runner

Image0621Small.jpg

which is more than can be said for his friends international ,4?? that he parked here 10 years ago with the intention of a rebuild  :-\

Image0620Small.jpg

bamford spreader & lely elevator

Image0626Small.jpg

• 5 months later...

No time, patience some WD-40 and a big hammer could do the trick in a lot of cases Marcus ;) ;)

I do like seeing implements with tractors at rallies and also seeing them at working days. I think the problem for most is transportation of tractor and implement in a lot of cases.

I would like to take my trailing plough as well as tractor to our local working event which is around 15 miles away and in fact only in 6 weeks time. I'll maybe see if I can get it on up the front of the trailer and kinda sideways but my fear is I will have overhang at the sides which I don't suppose the old bill would class as legal. If not I may get dad to pull it over behind his car in my covered in trailer. He would manage that but I'm afraid he not going to be able to do much else at the rallies now.

You need a bigger trailer bill!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm the same mate i love to see the old machinery working my favorite are the old steam ploughing engines i think that takes a lot of skill to get the furrow straight and the turned ground level like they do

Regards Nick

like many in this topic bill i don't think it would take much to get a few selected machines back into some reasonable working order bill

No it wouldent, trouble is half the time no one will part with anything, which is fair enough its theirs, but its a real shame when its just sat in a field surving absalutly no purpose what so ever  :-\  Like you i do like to see machinery behind tractors at shows & this is something i plan to do myself although the transport maybe a problem probably drive it  ;D  good excuse

whats the kidd implement then??? not seen anything like that before

I wanted to know that too, Cerin has a decent answer - certainly looks like it could be a small bale chopper.

Pity you can't back load scrap Marcus!  :laugh: :laugh:

whats the kidd implement then??? not seen anything like that before

I think its a small square bale chopper, but i couldnt say for certain just a gess!

I wanted to know that too, Cerin has a decent answer - certainly looks like it could be a small bale chopper.

Pity you can't back load scrap Marcus!  :laugh: :laugh:

yes it's a smal bale chopper  & the farmer has welded a frame to carry extra bales , a very smart move , they used to eat the bale soon as you get the pto running , used to be a real pain traveling 2ft to spread a bale then go all the way back to the silage pit to keep reloading bales you thrown down to use .

when i was younger it was my job to follow the chopper around with a jcb 520 or later a sandeson 622 with a bucket full of bales to keep feeding the wee beast , aaaagggghhh ! was so much better when we got a kidd round bale chopper.

scrap tris ? i'd earn a fortune !, time to buy a flat bed & hi-ab me thinks  ;D 

you'd be surprised at how many are still working sean , they were still being made when tarrup bought out the Kidd range & i wouldn't be surprised if there may have been a very small ammount of kverneland badged ones as well

they used to make them, with engines to drive the bale chopper ..push along type with 4 wheels

[/quote 

We've got one of those, a three wheeler. Made by Badger, an American company. Used it to bed 60 cows in a tie-stall dairy barn. It worked like a treat, hardly ever gave problems. Interesting when a hiefer or a bought in cow was introduced into the barn, the sensation of straw blowing around their legs was enough to make them kick out sometimes. The deflector chute recieved a few good dents over time.

Ours has a 3HP electric motor on it which was a bit of a pain because you had to trail a 50' flex cord around behind you. The alternative was one with a Honda petrol engine which we wouldn't entertain because of the fire hazard. More than a few wood-frame dairy barns on the prairies burned down because of straw or chaff getting in around the exhaust area of the engine and not being noticed then smouldering away all evening and becoming a fully fledged barn-fire by about midnight.

We once bought cows from a man who had a petrol engined straw chopper, he said on three separate occasions on his last check around before bed-time he had come across a small fire smouldering on the straw chopper.

We were always a bit obsessive about keeping ours clean for that reason.

Great wee machine though.

• 3 weeks later...

now that little same is awaiting the loving care of someone like our own mike i recon, go on mike you know you want to mate

If I did I think I would be singing a few octaves higher when Sharon got a hold of me :of :of :( :(

Archived