Puching above their weight

ford4ever

down this way the local dealership for case was selling the mx 110 with a bigger fuel pump from the mx170 as it was cheaper way of doing it. they sold loads of mx110's .even people that had only bought JD and fords and mf's were buying them. too much of a good deal. it is funny to watch a mx110 on a big baler and a mtx 150 on a wrapper.

now i think about, its only 10hp but i always thought the mf 5445 was 100 horse

the 5445 Tier II is 90hp... but the Tier III model is 100hp with an additional 10hp transport boost in 3rd and 4th gears

The 5445 I had (tier II) is a good candidate here for a tractor that looks to big for its hp.

Mr Ploughmaster has hit the other two Masseys on the head... spot on...

Ford 8210 4wd always looked more than 110 hp.(to me anyway)

Fully concur, as a kid always thought they were much more powerful than that. Slightly alarmed to find out they had less than 150hp, same goes for the 7910.

Ford7910.jpg

Ford8210.jpg

The Massey Ferguson 2620 must be a candidate here - quite a big beast, but only 95 DIN hp.

Definitely another machine that makes quite an impression for so few horses.

IMG8_0001.jpg

Others that seem to stick in my mind:

Dutra D4K

John Deere 7600

Same Laser 110

Deutz Fahr Agrostar 6.81 always thought this machine derserved to be a 240hp+ machine.

Some of the big American machines Minneapolis Moline GV1, G705 and similar.

the 5445 Tier II is 90hp... but the Tier III model is 100hp with an additional 10hp transport boost in 3rd and 4th gears

The 5445 I had (tier II) is a good candidate here for a tractor that looks to big for its hp.

Mr Ploughmaster has hit the other two Masseys on the head... spot on...

ill take your word for it marky :D

Deutz 6.81 - now there is a rare beast David ;D

Rare beast indeed Colm, never seen one in the flesh before but I do have a sales brochure on the 6.71 and 6.81 tractors that push out 165hp and 190hp respectively, also remember reading a "One Year On" article in Farmers Weekly on the 6.81 many years ago, impressive looking tractor. :) 

the david brown 1690 /case 1594-1694 case-ih 1594-1694

1594 95hp approx

1694 98hp approx

even DB have said themselves the engine could be powered up to 140hp+ but would be in direct compitition with the american case 2090/2094 - 2290-2294 built tractors

shame as iv'e driven a few of these uprated 15 -1694 tractors & feel like they should have been powered like this from the start

tyre size is all that really points to output now with the trend towards one body pannel/cab fits the full range the company makes, ok it saves money, but they all look oversized till you get to the biggies of the range

guess the fords and mfs listed were early victims of the one part fits policy in the drive to save money

tyre size is all that really points to output now with the trend towards one body pannel/cab fits the full range the company makes, ok it saves money, but they all look oversized till you get to the biggies of the range

guess the fords and mfs listed were early victims of the one part fits policy in the drive to save money

now that you say it mf 390 .2wd looks about 60hp while the 4wd version looks the 90hp

4 cyl mb tracs look too big for their hp, also the jd 4055

Valtra n series tractors look small for their hp unless they have larger wheels fitted, i guess tyre size is a major factor in  a tractors appearance.

i spose i have to agree with you there mate the smaller 50  models up to the 2850 somehow looked too small to have the horse power they were rated at but they pulled well , but as for the 4055 i think that was a great tractor, big & purposefull, when i drove one it was the biggest tractor in the area not just horse power ! milton mills dealers had to let the tyres down to get it into their workshops  :D :D  & the 18 speed powershift was so easy to use ,matter of fact there wasnt much it wouldn't pull , but you tell it's age was against it when the jd 64 was bought in as a replacement the plough lost a furrow , but other machines stayed the same , the 64 did it all , took a bit longer to do but it did it .

i'll have that fiver now please jez  :D :D :D :D