SEATBELTS

robl12

Just thinking about it you have too have seat belts with a ROPS bar as you need the belt to hold you in place for the bar or cab to protect you. Tracors or plant without any ROPS protection should not have a seatbelt so as you are thrown clear in the eventy of a roll over.

I think every current tractor has to have a lap belt, all our dumpers and diggers have them.

David Brown offered a lap/seat belt as an option from around 1972, listed and pictured in the parts list books under 'optional equipment'. I believe that a belt is required on any tractor that travels over 20mph on the public highway.

David Brown offered a lap/seat belt as an option from around 1972, listed and pictured in the parts list books under 'optional equipment'. I believe that a belt is required on any tractor that travels over 20mph on the public highway.

Which legally not allowed to go over anyway, ha ha!

I had mine on in the 6930 couple of weeks ago, just to hold me in the seat, never ploughed ground so steep and had to turn on it as it didn't level off before a dry ditch, also, have to sow it with barley with1 pass, hmmmm

Measured angle of tilt with ipod (not most accturate) was 32 degree in the steepest part, which was a hard climb with the 4 furrow in the ground using 35 litre an hour climbing hill and gown 0.5 and hour,  :of

think lap belts have ben fitted for a fair few years now , but ive never used them in tractors , although i did use them on materials handlers when loading dung & some of my more exciteable silage heaps  ;D 

There is no legal obligation for manufacturers to fit belts to tractors (even where they are fitted with ROPS).  However, under PUWER there is a requirement for all machines to be fitted with belts where there is the risk of being crushed between the machine and the ground in an overturn.

HSE official advice here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais37.pdf

Hattie has not got one that's for sure  :-\  so it can't be a legal requirement... I suspect that most farm owners will have risk assessed tractor driving as requiring one mind you  :-\

really ? that does surprise me

best get one fitted to the passenger one as well before sean turns up on saturday mate  either that or just keep the bucket off or the loader down  ;)

JCB forklifts have had them for well over 15 years  - I think that came over from the industrial models, but most tractors all seem to have them the last 5 years or so. The NH even has one for the passenger.  :)

only worn one once when i had to drive the case off the side of a silage pit thats side had collapse and left it at about 30degrees we pulled it back with a strap over the toplink and onto the arm and the massey pulling the front weights i was sure it was going to turn over so i threw it on but we got out of it luckily without needing it  :of

Some interesting posts.

So most don't wear them then.

It was something I had never thought about but after reading the judges verdict from the crash it appears that the outcome may have been different if he had been wearing it. At the end of the day it is the risk you take by not wearing it the same as people who do not wear them in cars.

How do you stand as an employer if a employee does not wear one can you be prosecuted under the Health and Safety at Work act or PUWER? especially if them employer knew they were not wearing them?

Unimogs have them fitted ive never worn one.

Because its not a legal requirement to wear a seatbelt on an agricultural veichle an employer cant be prosecuted, at the end of the day its operator choice. I am sure this will change one day though.

i aint one in my jd 6810, i know the 08 plate jd 7730 has one on both the driver and passenger seats but i never were them, they restrain you too much, i hate lap belts, i belive jcb fastracs have proper car type belts, i would use one of them on the road ;)