SEATBELTS

robl12

thanks Mike.. only if it's not too much trouble... would be nice to answer this question factually... much as I enjoy discussion of course... it's nice ot kow the facts... you never know.. it may come up in a pub quiz question sometime in the future  :-\ :D :D :D

Came across these two bits today when researching something else....First from HSE second from DOT

Under the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations1992 (SMR) (as amended), where roll-over protective structures (ROPS) or mounting points for ROPS are fitted, manufacturers are required to fit seats, including passenger seats, with operator restraints which keep drivers in their seats without restricting any movements necessary for driving. (NB for mobile machines used at work, manufacturers are required to provide mounting points for ROPS where there is a risk of rolling over.)Tractors are NOT covered by SMR and there are no regulations directly requiring manufacturers to provide operator restraints for tractor seats.

In on-road accidents, lap belts would probably save two fatalities per  year and fifteen serious injuries if fitted and used in all ROPS  (Roll-Over Protective Structures) equipped vehicles. Off-road, such  systems would probably save a further one life and five serious  injuries. The equivalent financial savings (as used by the Department of  Transport) outweigh the estimated costs of installing lap belts to all  new agricultural vehicles with ROPS by approximately 3:1.

This a an excerpt from the Police National Legal Database, it is not the full Regulation just the exemptions that apply to Agricultural Tractors and similar vehicles

Regulation 2 of the Motor Vehicles (Wearing of Seat Belts) Regulations 1993 provides the interpretation and definition of terminology used throughout the legislation.

2(1) In these regulations-

the Act

means the Road Traffic Act 1988;

Construction and Use Regulations

means the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986;

Large bus means a motor vehicle which-

(a) is constructed or adapted for use for the carriage of passengers,

(B) has more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat,

© has four or more wheels,

(d) has a maximum design speed exceeding 25 kilometres per hour, and

(e) has a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes;

Regulation 46 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 provides the requirement for seat belt anchorage points to be fitted to motor vehicles. This document provides for the application of this regulation to certain vehicles and exempts certain vehicles.

Application

46(1) This regulation applies to a motor vehicle which is not an excepted vehicle and is:

(a) a busfirst used on or after 1st April 1982;

(B) a wheeledmotor car first used on or after 1st January 1965;

© a three-wheeled motor cycle having an unladen weight exceeding 255 kg and which was first used on or after 1st September 1970; or

(d) a heavy motor car first used on or after 1st October 1988.

Excepted vehicle

46(2) Each of the following is an excepted vehicle:

(a) a goods vehicle (except a dual-purpose vehicle):

(i) first used before 1st April 1967;

(ii) first used on or after 1st April 1980 and before 1st October 1988 and having a maximum gross weight exceeding 3500 kg; or

(iii) first used before 1st April 1980 or, if the vehicle is of a model manufactured before 1st October 1979, first used before 1st April 1982 and, in either case, having an unladen weight exceeding 1525 kg;

(B) an agricultural motor vehicle;

© a motor tractor;

(d) a works truck;

(e) an electrically-propelled goods vehicle first used before 1st October 1988;

(f) a pedestrian-controlled vehicle;

(g) a vehicle which has been used on roads outside Great Britain, whilst it is being driven from its place of arrival in Great Britain to a place of residence of its owner or driver, or from any such place where, by previous arrangement, it will be provided with such anchorage points required by this regulation and such seat belts as are required by regulation 47;

(h) a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 16 mph;

(i) a motor cycle equipped with a driver's seat of a type requiring the driver to sit astride it, and which is constructed or assembled by a person not ordinarily engaged in the trade or business of manufacturing vehicles of that description; or

(j) a locomotive.

So my read is that Agricultural Tractors are exempt when they are being used for an Agricultural purpose, if they are capable of more than 25kph and being used for other purposes (eg haulage) then they are not exempt and seat belts DO need to be worn.

Harvey 123..... you are not exempt from the mobile phone regs on a tractor, you will be prosecuted for using a phone whilst driving

Very informative Mike.

I have only sped read it and will come back when I have a free half hour to spare ;D ;D

I though Will aka britainswomble could write a "war and peace" but I see you are a strong contender to take over from him now we don't see him posting on here ;) ;)

I'd read it as if they are fitted they need to be worn but as agricultural vehicles are exempt from needing them fitted in the first place if they aren't there they don't need to be fitted :-\  Informative none the less though

Incidently I think the chances of the lap belt preventing injury in an accident are slim as what are the chances of the four M10 bolts that hold the seat in place not giving out under the force of the impact when the seatbelt tries to hold you in the seat?

Very informative Mike. Like all these rules though they make such a complicated read of a simple subject!

Why can't they just say:

You must wear a seatbelt in:

Tractors.

Lorries.

Buses.

Etc  :-\ ::)

My own view on lap belts in particular though is simple. If a proper seatbelt cannot be fitted, the individual makes it their own responsibility should they wish to wear a lap belt or not. They can incur massive internal injuries from what I have seen on crash test footage and hold no restraint for the upper body whatsoever. The sooner they are phased out and we can all follow one law - If fitted, wear it ( a proper seatbelt) the better.

i have noticed a lot of the bus drivers round here are now wearing them in new busses, but yet to see one worn in a tractor, if markys is that new and one wasnt fitted i recon that prob says it all, its more than likley an option at present when ordering

This a an excerpt from the Police National Legal Database, it is not the full Regulation just the exemptions that apply to Agricultural Tractors and similar vehicles

Regulation 2 of the Motor Vehicles (Wearing of Seat Belts) Regulations 1993 provides the interpretation and definition of terminology used throughout the legislation.

2(1) In these regulations-

the Act

means the Road Traffic Act 1988;

Construction and Use Regulations

means the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986;

Large bus means a motor vehicle which-

(a) is constructed or adapted for use for the carriage of passengers,

(B) has more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat,

© has four or more wheels,

(d) has a maximum design speed exceeding 25 kilometres per hour, and

(e) has a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes;

Regulation 46 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 provides the requirement for seat belt anchorage points to be fitted to motor vehicles. This document provides for the application of this regulation to certain vehicles and exempts certain vehicles.

Application

46(1) This regulation applies to a motor vehicle which is not an excepted vehicle and is:

(a) a busfirst used on or after 1st April 1982;

(B) a wheeledmotor car first used on or after 1st January 1965;

© a three-wheeled motor cycle having an unladen weight exceeding 255 kg and which was first used on or after 1st September 1970; or

(d) a heavy motor car first used on or after 1st October 1988.

Excepted vehicle

46(2) Each of the following is an excepted vehicle:

(a) a goods vehicle (except a dual-purpose vehicle):

(i) first used before 1st April 1967;

(ii) first used on or after 1st April 1980 and before 1st October 1988 and having a maximum gross weight exceeding 3500 kg; or

(iii) first used before 1st April 1980 or, if the vehicle is of a model manufactured before 1st October 1979, first used before 1st April 1982 and, in either case, having an unladen weight exceeding 1525 kg;

(B) an agricultural motor vehicle;

© a motor tractor;

(d) a works truck;

(e) an electrically-propelled goods vehicle first used before 1st October 1988;

(f) a pedestrian-controlled vehicle;

(g) a vehicle which has been used on roads outside Great Britain, whilst it is being driven from its place of arrival in Great Britain to a place of residence of its owner or driver, or from any such place where, by previous arrangement, it will be provided with such anchorage points required by this regulation and such seat belts as are required by regulation 47;

(h) a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 16 mph;

(i) a motor cycle equipped with a driver's seat of a type requiring the driver to sit astride it, and which is constructed or assembled by a person not ordinarily engaged in the trade or business of manufacturing vehicles of that description; or

(j) a locomotive.

So my read is that Agricultural Tractors are exempt when they are being used for an Agricultural purpose, if they are capable of more than 25kph and being used for other purposes (eg haulage) then they are not exempt and seat belts DO need to be worn.

Harvey 123..... you are not exempt from the mobile phone regs on a tractor, you will be prosecuted for using a phone whilst driving

i thought that maybe the case but wasn't sure

Spoke to a guy in the 'trade' today and he says seatbelts are only on some tractors because the seat itself is used elsewhere (e.g. industrial) and the seat belt is required. It's easier to leave it on then make two different seats.

very true tris, i dont like them to be honest same as in a plane as you said i recon they do more internal damage than good if the truths know,

so you hit a tractor head on, belt on belt off, its going to hurt when you hit steering wheel anyway!