James T's Farming Photos 2010-11

James T

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photos, James. I think there is one of these machines near me on a farm. I don't think it does the spreading, just the spraying. Nice to see it with the spreader though, spreads the weight better than a tractor.

Lovely photographs James of a very tidy and interesting machine. :)

I just so happen to have an old sales brochure of this machine that my Dad kindly obtained for me when we visited the Great Yorkshire Show in the early nineties. It's a multipurpose power unit designed for spraying, spreading and drilling that could also be equipped with a 3 point linkage too. The body was designed to accept a wide range of standard implements. It was developed by Cleveland farmers and John Deere dealers E.A.Clayton and manufactured by subsidiary Lucassen Young Ltd. I'm pretty sure the farms fleet of older John Deere tractors was covered in an issue of Classic Tractor. The Buggi is made up of mainly John Deere mechanical parts including the 110hp 4 cylinder turbocharged engine that powers the machine and also has four wheel steering available.

Knight used this power unit as the base of their self propelled sprayer called the Crusader. I think the tractor later became what we now know as the Multidrive and I believe was manufactured under this name for a time not far from where I live at Thirsk. It would appear the agricultural side of Multidrive and the tractors were latterly saved by Kellands who continue to develop the machine. There's quite a few big yellow 6185 models working around here on large farms and with contractors.

I'll take some photographs of the Clayton brochure and share them on here (In my collection topic if you'd prefer James, wouldn't want to sabotage your thread). It's interesting to note the front cover has the machine photographed on the road pulling a large grain trailer. I can recall as an enthusiastic and curious tractor mad youngster at the Great Yorkshire Show making the following remark when we approached the machine:

"Daddy why's that Fastrac been painted silver."

Here's a link to the later Multidrive machines i've photographed before:

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,25579.75.html

Lovely photographs James of a very tidy and interesting machine. :) 

I'll take some photographs of the Clayton brochure and share them on here (In my collection topic if you'd prefer James, wouldn't want to sabotage your thread).

No problem, feel free to post here - I'd be interested in seeing them!  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The harvest has started on the farm I live on here in Berwickshire.  The shots taken from an elevated position are from my study  ;)  I was out as a passenger in the Ford but the light was going too much by that time hence only one poor shot.  Hopefully some more pics tomorrow.

100_5680.jpg

100_5694.jpg

100_5696.jpg

100_5700.jpg

100_5701.jpg

100_5707.jpg