MF Collection

schw84

I wasn't going to post them, but seeings as I had nothing better to do I lined the Masseys up at home and took a picture.

The best one is still the MF 35 it does more hours on the meal wagon than any of the others, and isn't bad for over 50.

post-318-132639437102_thumb.jpg

post-318-132639437132_thumb.jpg

The tractors from left to right go in size.

There's a 6490 with some stupid sat nav system I couldn't get to work today on. Its on a 10 plate, but doesn't have the MF computer on which in my opinion is a major downside. its on a 50kph box and even down hill with the foot on the clutch it wont do more than 55kph.

A 6480 on a 55 plate this has the MF computer which is well worth the money. I love the fact that we had had it a few weeks and the engineer kept having to come out due to error messages. turns out he could tell I'd thrashed the guts out of it and been clutching flat out down the hill to get more speed, this would error message the tractor and cause him to have to come out. oops

A 6180 on a P plate I think, I love this tractor I love the fact you have to lunge the gear stick forward to go into fourth it's fun to drive and although its starting to make a funny noise I hope they repair it rather than sell it for a different one.

A 5435 on a 10 plate, the MF5455 is the same tractor same engine etc, but they put a bigger fuel pump on it to give more HP, so we got the 5435 it only arrived 2 weeks ago after being ordered at start of April (way to go Massey) but at 95HP (i think) it is a fun little tractor to drive, I was carting corn with it when we first got it and managed to get 43.8kph out of it, it just wouldn't let me do any more.

In front is an MF35 my grandfather had this new back in the 50's I love it now power steering, not very fast, but still a classic and everyone should experience driving one once in their lifetime.

I did think about getting all the machinery or rather tractors out the sheds lining them up and taking a photo, but lost interest.

My Uncle seems to collect stuff and has about 10 different track marshalls in the various sheds at home, but I wont drive it less its red.

I do aim to get them all lines up at some point as who knows how long it will be before he decides to get rid of them as they do just take up space.

Thanks for the information... I think we should get someone from Classic Massey Magazine over to write up this fleet profile.  I'll come back to this topic when I get home (if I ever get home  :'(  ) ... just up out of bed and getting ready to go corn carting  :P  so not a lot of time to make my reply.

And a fleet like this required a looooooooooooooooooooong reply  :-*:-* :-*

We have just replaced the Manitou MLT 736 with a JCB 731. I prefer the new 7 series manitou but by the time discount came etc the same machine was over £10k more so they went with the JCB, I think JCB is trying to change red farms into yellow ones.

The 5435 has been purchased to spray with its nice and light and will be good for the fertiliser also. Self propelled machines are alright but you dont then have a tractor to cart with etc so makes sense to have this. This was to replace a Zetor 7711 on an L plate (hopefully i'l never drive that again) but they only offered £1500 for the zetor so we have kept it and it will spend the rest of its life in the pigs attached to the pressure-washer.

The MF 35 lives on the meal wagon, and is used for turning straw and on the little mower thats it.

The 6180 gets used around the yard now but on those tyres looks alot meatier than it actually is and is a bit of a pain to use.

We have a MF240 on a front loader on a 53 plate which the men use around the yard, they only had it a week and smashed it up so it looks more like its 40 years old now. I probably should have parked it on the end but I forgot about it as it was down in the yard.

We dont have front links, we dont have grass only arable and pigs, and dont have any use really for it. The 6180 has home made front links of a sort. If the combination drill comes out rather than the vaderstad, they use it on that and utilise a hydraulic top ram to mount a packer on but other than that we just put weights on the front.

TBH we have way too much HP for the acreage we have, as in the shed sit a whole load of track marshalls and a CAT D5 (I think its a D5) but these are all on metal tracks and no one likes to drive them. They are however better than any tyred or rubber track crawler you can get for pulling moleploughs etc.

Our neighbour can just manage 5 subsoil legs with his 280hp challenger, the CAT although old is only 120hp and will pull these just as well, it would also pull the challenger backwards if in a tug of war. Problem is you can't go down the road with metal tracks.

so the fleets pretty much the same as we had looks wise ,we did have a home cobbled front hitch on a 690 for a tyre packer infront of the accord, just a simple frame with a ram that lifted it straight up no arms at all, must say mind we never built our own tillage stuff, just bought in, the 240 must be a import model i am guesing??? on a 53 plate, or am i getting mixed up with a later mf 240

You can get a new MF240 now if you want.

http://www.aecotractorparts.com/masssey-ferguson-240-tractor.html

I will see if I can get a picture of the tracmarshalls we have a 155, 135 120, 90, 75, 55 and then some in different colours one on a bulldozer blade etc. We have meant to do it for years just for giggles, but its the hassle of getting them out the sheds. I will see if when I'm home next my dad is feeling equally as sad and I'll get a picture but it wont be for a few weeks.

Nice fleet and some handy write ups on it all too. I would also like to see the TM's in a line up. Very much understand the CAT metal versus Challenger rubber too!!

One thing though, you mention clutching the tractors a lot? Why? This is really, really bad practice!

agree with tris here, not only dangerous , but cant be doing the tractor much good either

It error messages on the computer, I got told to stop doing it. Only has a 40k box on it which should be 27mph, but I had it at 31mph clutching with a trailer on the back full of corn. Needless to say I have been told not to do it anymore. I dont get to drive much as I don't live at home I just go home and play farming at the weekends.

• 1 month later...

Few pics from home on sat, lovely day and they were drilling the last 50 acres of wheat. The 6480 pulls the 4m vaderstad at about 9mph, so theres no need to put anything bigger on it. One neighbour brought a 3m one and the same tractor thinking he needed that amount of hp, but they pull suprisingly easily.

Took a few random photos of track marshalls which have been got out the shed as they got the combination drill out the back (this was a waste of time as decided to go back to the vaderstad, anyway I went to start one (the orange 70) and it likes easy start abit too much so gave up with my idea to put them all in a line, so took a pic of 4 of them, there's several more around but these were outside....

post-318-132639497573_thumb.jpg

post-318-132639497596_thumb.jpg