Collections

schw84

I wondered what other people are doing with regards to their collections. I slowed down collecting some months ago as I literally have run out of space, so now I’d rather spend £400 on a model I like rather than just buying everything for the sake of it.. There is in my opinion just too much around, just looking at agritehnica there were more models released then, than you would have found all year 10 years ago. So what have other people done.. I do realise I am fortunate to have the money to waste spend on models, but it’s got a little ridiculous with the amount UH, Ros etc are producing…

For instance I really want the 750TT, but I want the 770TT more and I have to be realistic and only buy one… Does anyone else have this problem or just me… I have a friend who also collects and tbh like him I’m not bothered about owning a model, it’s just nice to be able to appreciate the models, so much so as he will come and look at some that I have that he can’t afford/hasn’t got and I will look at his Blue ones (as I wont buy blue) that way I can appricate and hold the models look at them etc, but they don’t take up space.

I really don’t mind people looking at what I have on my shelves as it’s the appreciation of the models rather than the physical ownership, I just wondered what other peoples opinions were and if the whole excitement/love of collecting them has been ruined for them like it has me but a saturation in the market? My favourite topics on this forum are other peoples collections, most of the other topics I seem to skim over as its the love of the models I am on here for not the general banter.. I just am getting to the point that I may just stop buying them because there are too many out there and looking long term, they are no longer an investment as there are too many to choose from so they are unlikely to ever increase in value.

I've said a couple of times how my collecting has changed, with Traci redundant it should stop altogether really in all honesty!!

However, I carry on. A little less often. Basically I collect what I had as a nipper, MIB Britains where I can. Firstly though I like to buy models of machinery I have driven and used. I know we all have our reasons for collecting but on a personal note I do not see the point in loading up the attic, shed, spare room with models or toys for the sake of it. I like to tell a story with each model.... I can remember the toys my Nan bought me, or those my brother bought me over the Christmas' or birthdays. I like to show people a model of the a tractor I drove, even better with an implement to go with it. With the big brands being European based, the implements are hard to come by but there are UK based builders catering for this. I'm not necessarily spending any less but I make sure there is a 'reason' as to why I am buying something.

Thirdly, I have all the Norscot Jaguars and up until recently all the Challenger rubber track crawlers . ... now I have two more to get though. Being small in numbers, they are an easy couple of series' to collect and offer some nice modest models for the money too.

i have slowed a lot of late, like you space is a issue, but very little of late has really caught my eye, will still get mf stuff dealer boxed to match the rest, but others really need to stand out, plus it sort of helps that most mainline makers dont really do what i want, which means i can build for myself, which is giving me more pleasure to do ,when i get time of late, than buying a run of the mill for the sake of it

Space is always a problem whatever you collect but like Sean I have slowed a bit partly because little of interest is on offer and partly because I am getting "picky".  I can at least be picky because I collect old farm toys in the main and am now looking for the rarer items or those in better condition. 

But I too have a problem with space but it is partly resolved by having custom made plastic lidded boxes that fit on a set of bookshelves (and stack too) so my models are displayed in dioramas.  Excess display boxes are on my sideboards BUT I still have a huge amount in storage boxes and would prefer to have them all out and visible. 

Space is becoming a serious problem for me too. I can find places to store my lead/plastic/aluminium/composition farm/zoo/soldier/etc figures without too much of a problem, as I have the house to myself, but all my old wooden (+ a few tinplate) toy farm & zoo buildings, castles/forts/western town buildings take up loads of space, even when all packed away in boxes.

I'm also having to be more picky.

Anyone know anyone who might be interested in buying some 1960s & '70s toy farmyards/castles/etc., to give me more space for my older stuff? 

I have been collecting models for 30 years or so in a small way ..i have about 500 but that includes some 150 plant and machinery ... I try and collect plant and tractors which are mint and boxed only..britains, conrad, nzg, dp, scaledown, brian norman, mosly but i have had to cut back a lot in the past 5 to 6 years ...even losing a bit of interest as i have drifted back into collecting quality brochures of 70s 80s tractors ....have a small collection for 30 odd years ...200 brochures or so which has expanded a lile...for me it is the classics which i drove....i like to attend the shows and look but of course like many of you on here i can not resist the model of a tractor i drove in my youth...the real joy for me in collecting for some time now therefore is a quality top spec  piece ...just a few thoughts

Space has definitely become an issue for me of late but am about to resolve this with two new cabinets before Christmas hopefully.......First and foremost I buy models of machines which I have worked with or alongside and second of all I am still sticking to mainly Massey and New Holland/Ford models with the odd John Deere thrown in.......Implement wise I mainly stick to potato kit and kit we work such as the latest UH Vicon baler. My collecting slowed down a lot in 2010 and early 2011 but has picked up the pace again of late along with my brochure collecting......

I only started collecting 1/32 tractors 4 years ago. Sence then ive built a collection of around 120 + tractors. I also inherited my brothers playworn collection which were in good enough nick & only needed a clean up really after spending 10 years or so in the attic. They were mostly Britains & Siku tractors & emplements from the mid 90's era. My collection is mostly focused on classics from the 70's,80's & early 90's. But i also get the more modern stuff by New Holland,JD,MF & Valtra from time to time. Fords & Fiats are my priority tough . Im not big into collecting emplements as such or combines for that matter. Its always a tractor when i have funds to treat myself & im now trying to collect the 80's era Britains tractors that i had as a child. Must also get more display cabinets. Its a hobby & i love it.  ;):laugh:

Yep space is a issue, my collection has tripled in size during the last 12 months and my collection is not that big!, i am finding myself looking for specific models from the classic Britains era and implements are high on the list  but i still mainly collect tractor models, i have recently asked myself do i collect only old vintage and classic Britains models or everything else on the market today  ???, i think a line has to be drawn for the sake of available space and my wallet!! 8)..

here mate what you need is a girlfriend

dont wory about the t750 or the t770 i think your near the age were t69 is more important

My girlfriend just laughed at that comment.. When questioned if I'd chose her or the toys aparently pausing for thought is not the correct answer... Aparently I'm allowed to buy what ever I want for next 12 months then I have to think about houses etc.. So I figure I can have that new two seater convertible mini when it comes out in April and a few more toys before i have to then call it quits.

My girlfriend just laughed at that comment.. When questioned if I'd chose her or the toys aparently pausing for thought is not the correct answer... Aparently I'm allowed to buy what ever I want for next 12 months then I have to think about houses etc.. So I figure I can have that new two seater convertible mini when it comes out in April and a few more toys before i have to then call it quits.

Ahh, well, yes, but...

...I have been on the opposite side as my husband was a collector of model cars.  We had an agreement that he could spend what he liked on whatever he wanted provided his share of the household costs were met first.  Then it was a case of "if you can't beat them, join them" and I got involved in cataloguing his very extensive collections and setting up databases to keep track of insurance valuations with pictures of the models.  Birthday and Christmas presents were no problem and he often had those early when a really tasty model appeared when he was short of funds.

Then one day he came downstairs with his entire collection of 1:32 scale tractors and said "you love these more than I do and I want to concentrate on the Aston collection so now they are all yours" 8)

The rest, as they say, is history! ::)

ive far too many aswell.everytime i get another i box one up and put into store.i have 4 x model cabinets on living room wall 30inches wide,40tall and 9 deep holding about 120 1/32 scale tractors and another 7 slightly smaller ones in my office with probably another 150 in them.have about 20 ertl precision models that are niow permanently boxed along with a lot of construction models and all the doe ltd editions that have never been out of the boxes.anyone want to buy any ertl precision tractors

nick....

:laugh:  great story Sue! not one i will let happen.. I only need to find one more pink tractor to give to Kaat, and she has a collection of her own..  ;)

As with everyone, space is always an issue. maybe more so for me as i have dozens of 1:12 scaled models, a 1:8th scaled one, 30 or so articultated 1:16's and hundreds of normal 1:16's. Soon i will be needing the whole attic instead of just one room in the house.. ::)

Also have to make more choices in what i purchase. I limited myself to Ford/new Holland/Versatile a couple of years ago, but with the amount of models coming out in those areas, it is impossible to keep up to date, let alone find those older rare models to complete the collection, so having to limit myself even more, something very common for all of us collector's as there is simply too much new models coming out..

:laugh:  great story Sue! not one i will let happen.. I only need to find one more pink tractor to give to Kaat, and she has a collection of her own..

Well there you have it - find that pink tractor pdq (that means "pretty damn quick")  But Kaat is very supportive of your collecting habit - providing you let her have time in the charity shops that is!

I stopped collecting a few years ago when I no longer knew why I was buying the things I was. I keep thinking about buying tractors I have driven, but that would mean with about 1 exception having to buy expensive conversions so until someone releases 80's and 90's tractors I drove collecting isn't really my top priority any more.

I stopped collecting a few years ago when I no longer knew why I was buying the things I was. I keep thinking about buying tractors I have driven, but that would mean with about 1 exception having to buy expensive conversions so until someone releases 80's and 90's tractors I drove collecting isn't really my top priority any more.

out of interest pat what ones did you drive?

out of interest pat what ones did you drive?

Started out being allowed to steer a JD 3140 4wd with OPU cab, and nieghbours MF 6180. Then JD 6000 series and derivitives are main ones, MF 35x 698T, 4270 2wd, 6290, 6485 & 90 and 8220. Also a Case MX150 I remember well and an NH 8240 as well as a Steiger vaguely remeber watching working as a very young kid. Would also like a Hydro84 international like we have but most of all JD 6800 & 6900 I learnt and spent a lot of time driving until last year when the 6900 was sold.

Collecting 1/16 scale means for me space is also an issue, recently i sold some models to free up room for more detailed once.

I like to be abel to look at my models, so i tend not to box stuff up and store them, but force my self to sell the less wanted once, some models ofcourse will never leave my shelfs again.

I try to keep up buying the RED Ertl precisions coming out, and i am still looking for some older precision altough i am getting close.

Also i buy the toy tractor times tractor every year, so far i have all of them.

And i am almost compleet with my foxfire farm collection.

I have about 10 custom 1/16 pieces in my collection, and i think that number will grow in the future, custom tractors and implements are nice to have, specialy when they are machines you worked with your self, and they are great conversation pieces.

I do have some 1/32 tractors and implements, and i am specialy proud of the tractors Peter (MPR Models) did for me, he is working on a Volvo BM for me now, and he did a Ford 6710, Case 1390 and a JD 1120 for me allready, all tractors we had or have on the farm.

Erik

I'm a bit of a townie having lived in west London at a young age,had a big car collection at around 300 to 400 ish but have nearly sold most of that now.

It was back in 02 when I moved to east sussex that I became interested in farm models as I saw plenty of mf and fendt kit working beside our back garden and started buying britains models,then I found the forum in late 06 and got addicted to the hobby,bought to much,got up to about 60 models and have sold some of these and now only make and purchase what I like which is mainly mf and fendt with implements to suit.

Sort of second time around for me having collected so many car models during my teenage years.