Spalding v Zwolle Topic (split from 2011 Zwolle topic)

mrol

If the UK staged a show similar in size and venue layout to Zwolle - would you attend ? - Dig Deep, Search your feelings... HONEST ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE  

58 members have voted

1. 1. If the UK staged a show similar in size and venue layout to Zwolle - would you attend ? - Dig Deep, Search your feelings... HONEST ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE

• Yes - regardless of distance
    • No - I just don't fancy that type of show
    • Possibly if within 100 miles of me (and no more)
    • Possibly if within 150 miles of me (and no more)
    • Possibly if within 200 miles of me (and no more)
    • Possibly if within 250 miles of me (and no more)

I don't like to beat up on British things (I still don't understand why Basildon built New Hollands aren't the best selling machines in the UK - the hypocrisy of this versus the little red tractor scheme encouraging customers to 'Buy British' is crazy) - but this show looks like it knocks the spots off Spalding. The combination of custom models, dioramas and commercial stands is very impressive.

Perhaps we should encourage the organisers of Spalding to copy some of the ideas here and bring some more variety to that show as it would be great to get more opportunity to see all the amazing custom models that appear on here in the flesh.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the problem is space Ol. The venue at Spalding is probably a 1/4 of that at Zwolle. I have spoken to the organisers about mixing it up more at Spalding on a number of occasions but selling space vs allocating free space for layouts and custom displays is seen as a no brainer (in favour of selling).

Your right though. It does knock the socks off anything here in the UK  :'(

You shouldn't forget that the LCN show only started in a bunch of tents with 10 stands! I don't know for how long Spalding has been running but the show in Zwolle has been the same size for a long time. But it is still growing and hopefully Spalding will as well. If you look at say the Agritechnica the same is happening. More (foreign) people come to Zwolle as it is relatively easily reachable from Germany, Belgium and France. With the UK there's always that bit of water which people see as an objective.

I think that the show in Zwolle for many years has been in a dip. But, in the last two or three years there have been more diorama's and custom build models again. The biggest problem now all the shops that try to undercut each other. For example the UH importer selling models for less than he sells it to his customers which are all at the same show! Or foreign shopowners not paying import tax and selling them for less.

I think the problem is space Ol. The venue at Spalding is probably a 1/4 of that at Zwolle. I have spoken to the organisers about mixing it up more at Spalding on a number of occasions but selling space vs allocating free space for layouts and custom displays is seen as a no brainer (in favour of selling).

Your right though. It does knock the socks off anything here in the UK  :'(

Perhaps the cafe could be turned into another room dedicated to non-commercial activites - although I guess the Cafe wouldn't like that! But as you say, space is obviously an issue.

The reality is though for me, I probably won't go again now I have been a couple of times as there's never that much new to see (as everything is on the internet as soon as it comes available) and most people are selling mostly the same stuff. The diorama's and custom models would attract in a broader group I would think.

This has the possibility that it might become a discussion all of it's own, whether or not the organisers of the Spalding show should, or could, expand.

Whilst the buildings themselves are a little restrictive I think that there is sufficient scope with the outside space to erect a marquee of some type that could contain dioramas or layouts. That also has the effect of giving the punters ideas that they can take away to use on their own scenes and they will head back into the trade stands to buy whatever they need to make it a reality, a win, win situation I would have thought.

It would also help to alleviate the crush at busy times, one of the few things I don't like about Spalding is not being able to get close enough to see what is on offer on a stall, by the time it starts to thin out as people leave all the choicest titbits have been sold.

I agree, personally, it's too far away from me to justify going to Spalding now.

I would suggest somewhere around Birmingham (I thought the show last year at the motorbike museum was great) that is near to a motorway junction, near to the airport and train station.

The Zwolle show is amazing for a model tractor collector, I recommend it to anybody on here, you will not be disappointed by it.

I hope to go next year, might have to see if I can get a lift with someone, aiding their travel expenses and having a road trip, or get a flight and train to Zwolle like I have done twice in the past.

Yep I also totally agree and I know Colin Boor is aware of our views.

I would have thought Peterborough is the obvious choice as its just 30 minutes away from spalding and much easier to get to for everyone and has some excellent possible venues.

Yep I also totally agree and I know Colin Boor is aware of our views.

I would have thought Peterborough is the obvious choice as its just 30 minutes away from spalding and much easier to get to for everyone and has some excellent possible venues.

I've got nothing against Colin... BUT.... if he's ware of our views and takes no action then he's leaving himself open to competition.. Whilst Colin may own the 'show' what does owning a show actually mean in reality ?

What I mean is... what's to stop some business minded individual/consortium from staging their own event around the same time of the year ???

Of course, I am not suggesting that anyone should do this... but merely pointing out the risks Colin is taking by resting on his laurels  :)

Look at how passionately and aggressively some of the newer shows are now promoted... food for thought  :)

i was thinking about tractor world at malvern there not many if any two day shows out skirts of the midlands m5/m6 m42  there is room to expand a little but if we get positive feed back and passed on to the organisers we  could request more space.

i think  Andy, Shaun, marky,Tris , Gavin  and  Barry  have been there and seen  whats there and the possibilities  for the world of model farming...

for example  the market garden tractors and implements how much that display has grown in the last few years at malvern 

best of all come  and have a look for yourself 

The trouble with some of the larger venues (I can think of a zwolle-esque one in peterborough) is the cost. For example, if the show was moved, could the majority of people reading this be sure that they would attend, either as a visitor or perhaps supporting the show with a layout or custom models on display?

It seems a good show is as much about the passion and support from people attending than the venue, which I think is why zwolle is so good. In my opinion, that passion and support for a single event is perhaps not replicated as much over here. I guess partly due to there not being one particular show that stands out from the crowd.

Many people choose between toytrac, spalding, penrith, Moira, Portrush and others, which is of course fair enough due to costs but if there was one significant stand out Zwolle type event boasting superior room, more stands, facilities, customs, dioramas + the complete works, would you attend it? Even if you lived over 100+ miles away, or in another country perhaps. And if not, why? Honest answers please too!  :)

But If the answer is yes...lets get to it then  :P

if there was one significant stand out Zwolle type event boasting superior room, more stands, facilities, customs, dioramas + the complete works, would you attend it? Even if you lived over 100+ miles away, or in another country perhaps. And if not, why? Honest answers please too!  :)

But If the answer is yes...lets get to it then  :P

The answer from me would be yes. I've been to Spalding on several occasions but it is a minimum cost of around £250 before I buy anything at the show. Fuel, hotel. food, kennels etc. ToyTrac is my preferred show, only takes an hour to get there and is as good as Spalding from a traders oint of view, better for displays.

Show grounds are all well and good but they are what they are. Drafty, cold buildings not really geared up to be exhibition venues with none of the facilities like cafes and toilets that people expect these days. Looking at the pictures of Zwolle (and those that have been can put me right) the building looks like a modern exhibition centre with all the right facilities.

I've just spent a weekend at Scale Model World in Telford. The International Centre at Telford is a really good venue with a large number of halls that can be used individually or combined. The NEC is similar and no doubt there are similar venues in other places. However to attract visitors you have to offer top class venues

However these places cost lots of cash. The IPMS committed to Telford for 10 years to get a realistic annual hire cost and because they committed to 10 years they got an annual hire fee they could afford and then have worked like hell to attract the traders (and manufacturers) who in essence pay the hall rental. The presence of these traders then attracts the paying customer and allows the displays to be put on. Its a viscous circle!! And it didn't happen overnight.

It needs a far sighted promoter who is prepared to do the slog, build the show, get the reputation and probably lose money for the first three or four years. Do we have one of those in the UK?

It will be interesting to see how the new show does in February. The venue is large and purpose built but the organisers have no real connection in the Hobby. Asking around at the weekend and at Newark, there seems to be little enthusiasm for the show.  :-

I don't think I even know what the new show is....

...on the Spalding point, I think adding another new show would just dilute things further. I think it would be better to try to get a few of the current show organisers together to collaborate - so a common show format, held perhaps 2x or 3x per year and held in two or three different locations to meet the needs of the public (who might not want to travel 300 miles), traders (who like to have a few events a year to sell stuff) and custom builders (who could be offered an incentive to show at all 3 - a discount for signing up to all 3, a special model only available to exhibitors at all 3 events etc, discounts on products from some of the traders). The scale would prob also encourage the model mfrs to get more on board and take the opportunity to showcase new stuff more than they do today.

It will be interesting to see how the new show does in February. The venue is large and purpose built but the organisers have no real connection in the Hobby. Asking around at the weekend and at Newark, there seems to be little enthusiasm for the show.  :-\

Perhaps because it hasn't been well advertised as yet? Apart from the Model Farmer ads and the thread on here l've heard nothing else about it.

I shall probably go.

The Spalding show altough not real big, is a good show no matter how you look at it.

Some times size is not the most importend, quality is imo.

And Spalding is a quality show, i have bin 3 times and hope to go more in the future.

It is a show with lots of varity, 1/32, 1/16, old, new, custom.

The grass is alway's greener on the other side it seems  ;D

Zwolle is a super show, and Dyersville USA is the mother of them all, but Spalding is very good for it's size.

Erik

The main thing that the Lincolnshire area seems to have going for it is the people in the area are tractor users whereas the people of the Birmingham are probably tractor haters as the only time they see one in the city is when it is clogging up the road and won't let them pass. They are certainly not going to support a tractor show in their area, you need to site the show in a rural area, Peterborough would probably be ideal.

Having said that, there are always people who will travel and don't mind what distances are involved, me included.

I certainly think that Spalding needs to evolve or face being left behind as other shows and venues "up their game" due to the competition.

Timing is also another point to consider, people will traditionally travel to Spalding in April and October as they are used to those dates and may arrange their work around them. Throw in another date and they may be unwilling to lose a days work on the farm for a show they know nothing about just in case it doesn't live up to expectations.

I have been to Zwolle four times and plan on going again. I never thought such a show ever existed until I went. I was amazed at how huge this hobby is and the amount of scratch built and conversions on display. It is a couple of hours flight from Belfast and Dublin then another couple of hours on the train but it's definitely worth it.  :)

It's location and superb transport links make it as cost effective as travelling to a show in England or Scotland.

I have never been to Spalding but I have seen plenty of photos. Unlike Zwolle there is nothing that would attract me to go to it. It looks more of a selling show.

Being involved with Moira Show in Northern Ireland I have often asked myself "what makes a show stand out and make it worth going to?"

If a show has something that bit special people will travel miles and hours to see it. Moira and Mitcheltown shows will have people travelling the full length of the country to take these shows in. This can be 4-5 hours. Then there are the diehards like Mr Softie who travels even greater distances.

I know we are in an recession but very few people will travel to Ireland for model shows.

I believe that there are a couple of shows in Ireland that are standing head and shoulders above anything in the UK. (Zwolle is no 1) I am not being big headed, I am just being honest. Speaking to many collectors, magazine editors etc, I always encourage them to visit shows in Ireland but its a struggle to get them to cross the Irish Sea. :of

Looking at the pictures of the Irish shows, I'd agree that they also look like they offer a far more comprehensive display of this hobby at it's best - with the right mix of ingredients to make it interesting.

I probably wouldn't take my kids to Spalding as there isn't that much for them to really look at and get excited about. The new farming display at Snetterton models is much more interesting to them then lines and lines of boxes. If Spalding could bring that element in, I'm sure it would broaden the appeal greatly. 

Perhaps because it hasn't been well advertised as yet? Apart from the Model Farmer ads and the thread on here l've heard nothing else about it.

I shall probably go.

The only other place I have seen the new Leamington Spa show advertised was in the November / December edition of Model Tractor and it was the same 1/2 page advert which was in Model Farmer. In addition it was mentioned at the Scottish National Tractor show in September and I think one other model collector has spoken to me about it. In my opinion advertising is crucial for a new show if it is to succeed however it has to be done in a cost effective manner.

To hold a show at malvern it will cost around £5000 plus tables.

The show that was held at the motorbike museum was £4000 for the to rooms.

So to hold a show you have to find the right venue at the right price and in the right area.

The show at leamington spa might get more displays if they don't charge for tables cos this charge is adding to the cost for them if they are coming from a distance and staying over and is money that they will not get back cos they are not trading.

at the minute if i could get to a show that size i would but at the minute it's a long way to anywhere other than spalding and until i can drive (next year) its unlikely i could get any further peterborough is maybe a possibility. However when i can i'd be willing to make the journey to a show further away. Don't forget the french shows they have a lot of diorama based shows with some big sellers and conversionists, i hope to go to the chartres show sometime as dad's family live close by