Spalding v Zwolle Topic (split from 2011 Zwolle topic)

mrol

If the UK staged a show similar in size and venue layout to Zwolle - would you attend ? - Dig Deep, Search your feelings... HONEST ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE  

58 members have voted

1. 1. If the UK staged a show similar in size and venue layout to Zwolle - would you attend ? - Dig Deep, Search your feelings... HONEST ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE

• Yes - regardless of distance
    • No - I just don't fancy that type of show
    • Possibly if within 100 miles of me (and no more)
    • Possibly if within 150 miles of me (and no more)
    • Possibly if within 200 miles of me (and no more)
    • Possibly if within 250 miles of me (and no more)

over the past years i have travelled up and down the country for model shows i have done spalding 5 times and is an excellent show for buying models/literature, i have attended moira for the last 2 years regardless of the cost of the ferryetc as in my opinion this is the best for dioramma`s and buying combined and i will continue supporting this show in the future, i have also done aberdeen, penrith and gretna and intend going to Zwolle next year as the pictures make this look an excellent show for buying models standard and custom and dioramma`s

in general i would say yes i would attend a new zwolle style show on a 2 conditions, ! it was at a decent time of year not coliding with the busy summer months and was well advertised , at the moment i cant get any enthusiasm for the feb show

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some cracking debate in here and an interesting poll resuly developing as well. I am really enjoying this topic.

It also seems to be telling me that someone (with large chunas) needs to create a two-day UBER show at Peterborough Showground in April.. or perhaps Colin Boor needs to step up before someone does exactly that  :-\

I would be more inclined to attend if it was a two day event. A one day event costs a weekend in travelling and lost work time anyway so for the sake of another day it would make it easier to be honest.

The thing with the LCN is it is a cub organised event with many people doing their bit throughout the year leading to the culmination in Zwolle in November. We have to remember that the shows in the UK, or at least the majority of them are organised by sometimes one person, maybe two or four. Even the size of the shows here, that is a lot of hard work, research, emailing and mailing, phoning and free time put in to get these shows going. That mustn't be forgotten when comparing to them to other shows.

I'm fortunate in being self employed in that I do not need to book holiday - whilst on the flip side I do not get paid on my days off. That said, I work hard and apart from the house and Traci have very few 'wants' and so reward myself by making sure I get to the four shows I do so at the moment - Malvern, Spalding, Toytrac, Zwolle. If another show was planned then it is almost certainly going to clash with some of these as these shows are already planned for less busier times in the farming calender which let's face it, many enthusiasts are involved in. We unfortunately have a physical barrier from Europe in that of the English Channel. While it is easy enough to navigate, it does add a certain amount of extra planning to sort out. It inevitably effects people overseas visiting the show, maybe why we have smaller but more shows?

Any show needs to offer a lot. Warm comfortable arena, catering of a good standard (be it traders or a cafe), quality furniture, clean toilets, parking and all this with it's own staff to support the event. On top of this from our point of view it needs to be affordable, centrally located, possible single floor and under one roof? light, level, secure. I think room for 'entertaining' traders needs to be made (Zwolle has a clown/balloon man for the kids), face painting, maybe even one of those character boards you stick your head through for a photo... The longer people stay in the hall, the more they are likely to spend which is what keeps the traders coming and the show going.

tris has pretty much hit the nail on the head there, whilst i am employed full time, it takes a huge amount of planning to get to zwolle, even spalding in april ,time off work, hotel ect, so two day shows do make it easier in a way,i run the same 4 as tris mainly down to cost, if a 2 day spalding was held arround its usual time i napril it would be fine, but two day big show in oct as it is now, is way to close to zwolle , somewhere inbetween would work well, theres no real quiet time in farming, but its not as busy in may / june and to date theres nothing really arround that area,

I would like to think something could evolve from the Spalding april event. It has only been in the last 4 - 5 years that farm layouts and custom building seem to have really kicked off. It did of course, go on before but the following for it was far less than now. I guess thats why Spalding (at least in April) became the show to go to because it is great for buying / selling. As each year goes on though, the hobby evolves and new aspects certainly need integrating into the show. There is no denying that with the internet, many people who previously attended spalding for the new model releases, no longer do so. This in turn reduces show sales for exhibitors and then morale drops.

For those interested in customs, brochures, older models and other bits and pieces, I would argue there is still no better event in the UK but there HAS to be something for everyone and something to generate enthusiasm for those visitors attending, but more importantly, provide incentive for those who do not attend.

Completely agree - the focus should be on encouraging Colin to change Spalding and not run another event.

On venues, possibly being stupid here, but isn't this industry blessed with some of the biggest buildings around? Could a couple of decent grain sheds not be found on a host farm (with a field for parking) that could be borrowed at much reduced rates - or are there health and safety aspects? (Though these seem to be overcome on the 'Open Farm' event days). If this was done for the April event then I would think that most grain would have been sold and moved by that point wouldn't it?

I have been reading all the comments in this thread and have to agree with most of them.

Like Peter (PDH) it costs me a lot to go to Spalding even as a punter as I also have accomodation, fuel, and kennel costs before I start spending. Spalding may not be huge but as Andy says it caters for people like me looking for the older items and not just tractors and machinery.  I collect old farm toys which includes people and animals and Spalding has them as does Toytrac.  Zwolle looks magnificent and everyone apparently enjoyed themselves but from the pictures I have seen there is nothing there of real interest to me

Getting to Spalding is a long, tedious drive of around 3.1/2 hours (but an enjoyable experience), Toytrac is less than an hour from home.  Leamington, however, is quite an easy drive and I can get there and back in a day but is this new event going to cater for my collecting habit?  We can only wait and see,

I'd think twice about traveling any distance at all to spend a weekend in a makeshift venue like a farm shed!! No, that would be a step in the wrong direction.

Second that.... Proper facilities would be a must for any new venue for sure. Plastic toilets.. smelly sheds... drafty.. not condusive to attracting the general public.. a great deal of which are not connected to the farming community.

Second that.... Proper facilities would be a must for any new venue for sure. Plastic toilets.. smelly sheds... drafty.. not condusive to attracting the general public.. a great deal of which are not connected to the farming community.

Third that. Not all those interested in this hobby work in the agriculture industry. Also the hobby needs to attract new collectors, farm buildings is not the right way to go.

If I take my family along to a show then they will expect a good level of comfort, toilets and food/drink. Personally I wouldn't be too happy parking in a field particularly if its been wet. Done that too many times now, and getting fed up with being stuck!

I'd think twice about traveling any distance at all to spend a weekend in a makeshift venue like a farm shed!! No, that would be a step in the wrong direction.

I think farm buildings have an advantage when cost comes into the equation but I think it would be too big a compromise. That said, the new show in Feb is in a converted farm.

I think we all have to wait and see what they offer.  Lets be honest Stoneleigh hosts a lot of extremely large,successful non-agricultural events (Race Retro is an example) and the some of the cattle sheds are used as exhibition halls.  The only complaints are from the exhibitors/stall holders (and I have been one of those) because the sheds are bitterly cold despite temporary wall linings and huge blower heaters.  The punters have no problems because they are already dressed in outdoor clothes.

You cannot knock a venue until you have been there so I shall keep an open mind and may well give it a go

Looks like that wasn't my finest idea :of

But I'd still suggest we focus on encouraging Colin to broaden the appeal of Spalding. It is, I think, tw biggest UK show so prob the best platform to build on. Unfortunately Marquees are pretty expensive to hire though so space is still the big problem.

Good suggestion for discussion and still some cracking debate going on in here.

I'm also with you on the 'encourage Colin' route first and foremost... I have no desire to see someone gazump him by creating a competitive show... but I just hope Colin has the foresight to move Spalding on before he does get left behind. I am sure Andy is advising him and I have no doubt he will respect his opinions and appraisal of the situation... he'd certainly be foolish not too  ;)

you can not go down the farm shed route, look how toytrac went with that option, field for parking in, if it rained you were basicly stuffed, ended up a right mess, and as others mentioned, good facillitys bring extra people through the doors, like wifes ect, older familly members, at zwolle there were a good few wheelchairs going round,all these things would need to be catered for under disabillity access laws,a farm shed just could not cope to that level, even if it was cheap. keeping it in a similar area is the best option, just where

i've not read every post in this topic, but i get the jist.  I fully agree, I think Spalding is not moving on in anyway, Im sure there maintaining numbers through the door, but I know im not the only one seeing fewer and fewer sales.  Im not blaming Spalding for all of this as the choice of model choice now is nothing less than astonishing, but certainly twice yearly doesnt seem to work, not with the mainstay manufacturers bringing the 2nd half models out to coincide with Agritechnia, meaning the October Spalding doesn't have a great deal extra to offer over the April show.

Personally I can't attend show after show to trade my things, but Im seriously thinking of knocking Spalding October on the head and looking at Toytrac.

Its venues and show's like Rheged that are the suprise packages for me, Its a day out for the family, with other aspects on the site, to include the rest of the family and the wife's to take the oppurtunity to enjoy.  Maybe Im biast, because I get a lot of Sketch interest from Parents, Wife's and girlfriends leading upto Christmas.  Long may it continue.

I suppose in summary, I mean yes, I would be interested in attanding a bigger venu with more to offer and a wider aspect than just models, but I also like the littler shows up and down the country. :)

been reading the discussion here. Being from Holland, i do attend the Spalding show in April every year. It definately costs quite a bit to just get there and get accomodations etc... One of the reasons i go is the (like Sue said) range of models for sale. There is a huge amount of models for sale in Zwolle, but hardly of the special brands like Mettoy, Charbens and similar older brands. That is what to me makes Spalding special, as does the total of visitors to me. Just because it is not as large as Zwolle, it seems less crowded to me personally and i like the general atmosphere..

That said, i do think there is a possibility of growth for the Spalding show, i am very sure that Colin Boor would have enough interest for more tables/traders/exhibitors, but is lacking the space at the current location to accomodate those.. A location nearer to for example Peterborough, closer to bigger routes would still attract pretty much everyone that now already attends the show, but will also attract new people as it would reduce driving time by an half hour or so for most..

Zwolle is such a success because of the good central location , easy to access by train and road and was able to grow every year due to being there for 24 years already.

An example of a new show that i now have attended regularly is the "Lochristi" show in Belgium in Januari. They do a lot of advertising on many forums, shows, stores etc. With a nice mix of show tables, diorama's and general traders, this event has already grown to a show with over 2000 visitors, and with the work they put into it, the good location and facilities, i think they have still some room to grow. It is organised by an historical tractors club, so attracting also a crowd of people collecting the real thing whom do mostly also have or get an interest in the scale models of the tractor(s) they own.

Maybe it is an idea for Colin to look for expansion through a different location and maybe try to combine it with something to attract a different crowd that might also have/get an interest in the models for sale. I realise this is a huge undertaking to get there, but i feel there is room for growth for the April show! I definately will be making the 900 km drive for the show 8)