What is a "classic"?

Jdeere6910

Was talking with Andy today about what is a classic tractor?

Obviously there's fergie 35's and dexta's, but what about John Deere 50 series and 10 series Fords?

Maybe a classic is the tractors you grew up using or wanting to drive?

Feel free to reply and the winner who I will decide wins themselves a free pat on the back  :P

I think a classic is anything you instantly recognise, and then double take just to be sure. So many times have I nearly ended up in the ditch/hedge doing that as I have driven past machinery working in fields.

You may not be a die hard fan of the brand, but you know what it is, and then think to your self, Nice!

I grew up wanting to drive them all, so I am possibly not the best person to ask...

A classic is something (anything) that captures and freezes a moment in time. It beds itself into your memory with fondness, happiness, an air of nostalgia and maybe at a time of your life that sparks its own memories for good or for bad times. It's a memory that you don't struggle to find or remember, it's close to the forefront of all things good - your work, your family, your school years. .. .

A classic joke.

A classic car.

A classic prank at school.

A classic film.

Anything.

Relating to farming and farm machines.. .

It is for me, the Massey Ferguson 390T.

According to an online dictionary a classic is:-

a. Belonging to the highest rank or class.  b. Serving as the established model or standard  c. Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.

So that covers most of the replies!

My vote goes to the little grey Fergie TE20 - they are certainly enduring or perhaps the Field Marshall

• 2 weeks later...

According to an online dictionary a classic is:-

a. Belonging to the highest rank or class.  b. Serving as the established model or standard  c. Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.

So that covers most of the replies!

My vote goes to the little grey Fergie TE20 - they are certainly enduring or perhaps the Field Marshall

Spot on description, my classics would be the MF 135 and the IH 885XL.

My veiw of a classic tractor would be from the MF 135, Ford 4000 era "mid sixties" until the Ford 10 JD 50 series "late 80s early 90s", anthing before i class as vintage and anything after i class as modern, so i agree with others on this thread my personnal real classics are the tractors i watched in awe as a child namely David Brown 885/996, Leyland 252/272, Ford 4600/6600 and certainly the 500 series Masseys, these was the most common tractors in my area during my childhood so i have a special fondness for them, i think ones own veiw of a classic depends on the area they live and there age.

Tractors, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, commercial vehicles and other such vehicles are concidered or classified as classic if they were manufactured after 1959 but before 1972.

Having just checked a few sites about various old vehicles (& I see no reason to classify tractors any differently to any other type of vehicle), the rough guide (there are sub-divisions & variations in classes) seems to be:

Veteren: before World War One

Vintage: between the Wars

Classic: after World War Two until +/- end 1972 

The main classics in my area are mostly MFs & Fords. In terms of pre 1972 classics id say the Ford 4000 was & still is the most popular.

Ford not the most popular where I am fair few 100 series MFs but mostly DB implematics and selectimatics

hard to beat the ford 4000.      is there a model of one available

That for sure. The 4000 had 62HP on tap from a 3cyl which was as much if not more than its 4cyl rivals of the era such as the DB 990 & MF 165 . No models available in 1/32 which is a shame, but ERTL done a 1/16 cabless 4000 along time ago. David Puredue might build ya one tough.  ;)

First tractor I drove also David was my oul lads Ford 4000.  :)

I can remember David Browns being still fairly popular around my area until about 15 years ago and then they all vanished obviously they bacame life expired though i hope some lucky ones found a good retirement home, it is strange also that it seems the Massey 100 series namely 135s have outlived there more modern 500 series brethrin around these parts, on the farm my father used to work on i remember the farms 4 135s and 175 was replaced by 4 550s and a 590 back in the early 80s, today the farm still has 2 135s albiet seldom used but all the 500s have long gone, even the later 250 and 290 left the farm many years ago. During the 90s the 500s was replaced by 3 362s and a 390T and yep you guessed it they went when the farm went from hop/apple growing to arable about 10 years ago, the 135s have outlived them all!!!..

• 10 months later...

'Scuse me for dragging up an old topic; but this is something that I have strong views on!

I own a 1998 ERF EC12 artic unit. I bought it to transport another "Vintage" truck I own and had hoped to get it insured as a "Classic".

Bearing in mind that ERF were one of the last true British manufacturers of trucks and they disappeared around the year 2000; I feel that they should have "Classic" status regardless of their age. The insurance company state that anything older than twenty five years is considered a classic. Rubbish! There are very few "True" ERF's now in use and most have been scrapped or exported. Unless people like me stash them away to become classics, there is little incentive to keep them and they will virtually disappear in the next few years. I told the insurance company that their definition of a classic vehicle was wrong and that mine was already a classic. They wouldn't have it!

I can insure my ERF on a conventional policy. The price they quoted was £1200 third party fire and theft, or £2200 full comp for a limited mileage. I now can insure it via the NFU on a daily basis as and when I need to. That costs me forty pounds a day but I'm not restricted to the limitations of classic insurance. The limitations would come from taxing it as a private heavy goods vehicle.

To summarise; it's time the insurance companies took a good look at the definitions of "Classic" vehicles which should include,

Vehicles of particular interest, manufactured in limited numbers.

Historically important manufacturers vehicles. ie companies such as ERF or Foden who survived in the UK for over 100 years.

Vehicles no longer in production, used on a limited mileage, and used mainly for show purposes.

A friend of mine has an ERF that just about scraped into the insurers definition of a classic. He tows a forty foot beavertail stepframe low loader with it and that costs him about £160.00 a year for the whole lot. Where's the logic in that?

My definition of a classic vehicle is one that is remembered fondly by the public both old and young that depicts a particular era in the motoring world. be it cars, motorcycles trucks or tractors. Most of which have a supporters club dedicated to the one make.

What do you think!

100_0206.jpg?t=1242019642

P.S. Here is a picture of my "Classic" ERF.

I think a classic is firstly subjective, something YOU have an immediate affinity to, secondly it is something that still today excites and is memorable to wide a number of people. For example many of us love a County tractor, manufacturers make models of them because of all the 100's of tractors at the time, over 30-40 years on many many people still adore them.