If you could...

neilw

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the tractors that have been around and in mainstream use whilst I have been in farming, the only one I regret not having had a chance to use was a Muir Hill (when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, Muir Hills were all around my area of Lincolnshire, so it was only natural to dream of driving one!).  I did once work on a farm which had run a Muir Hill 121 until a couple of months before I started working there, but it had been replaced by a V reg County 1474 (registration PFE 831V if memory serves), so I wasn't too sad to miss out on the Muir Hill at the time  :)

Well i can, and i do drive the one tractor which puts a smile on my face when i'm driving it, wether it's moving it around the yard or 'fiddling' with it in the work shop, and it is a John Deere 3650! Wouldn't change it for the world, it's the first tractor which i've properly felt the 'wow' factor with, it just never stops giving!  :P

You forgot to say yours . ... ?  :)

Deutz TTV 630. Purely because I never have and would love to drive one.

Fendt 924 favourit, Fendt 818 or MF 3080, all three partially responsible for my interest in tractors, the older Masseys from when I was younger and more recently (last 10 yrs or so) the Fendts. The memories come flooding back!! ;D

I have driven a lot of the newer tractors, but as with a lot of you its the one when you were younger and its the same for me. When I was growing up we got a bit of Deutz fever. Back with the old DX models. Had a 90 and a 120. the 90 used to pull a 2000g tank and a jd1365 mower!

They were pure workhorses!! Would love to get another burn off them!!!

;):D Is there anybody out there WOULDN'T want to take this for at least one spin round a field with an eighty foot cultivator

all expenses paid of course  :of;D

Regards

Joe.

Second that Joe, what an incredible tractor. Here's another Big Bud that would have got my vote. The seemingly infamous 950/50. It started life as a 650/50 and was equipped with same axles as the 16V747 aswell as a modern 23 litre Cummins engine kicking out 950hp. Judging by some of the comments i've read on other forums it was never the most reliable of tractors, impressive though none the less.

It's now for sale but I have read elsewhere that it's going to be altered back to a 650/50 and the engine has possibly been sold to John Kinzenbouw of Kinze fame to put into a 40 or 50 series John Deere artic.  :of

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/60/bigbud950nx5.jpg/

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?ohid=6559099

That said any opportunity to drive any tractor for someone like myself; a comparative novice operator not directly involved with farming but whom holds an enthusiastic interest in all things tractors means...........the list is long, very long.

In no particular order here's 10 for starters.

1. Ford TW-35 ( Bubble cab )

2. Massey Ferguson 1155

3. International 3588 "Snoopy"

4. Versatile "Big Roy"

5. Muir Hill 161

6. Deutz Intrac 6.30

7. MB-Trac 1500

8. County 1474 Short Nose.

9. Caterpillar D11 bulldozer.

10. John Deere 4850.

......and many, many more!

I think that I must be the opposite of most people on here. I did most of my tractor driving in the 70's and early 80's before I joined the Force. I have driven Massey Fergusons, David Browns, Fords, Internationals, Fiats, Deutz, John Deere and of course Sames.

What I would like to have a go on nowadays is a really up to date, modern, flick of a switch type tractor just to see what the job is like today where I can change gear on the move without double de-clutching and losing momentum. Air conditioned so that it is cool in the summer and heated in the winter with a radio/CD/i-pod dock to help to pass the time.

We can all look back with rose tinted spectacles but I remember them being cold, draughty and having to wear ear defenders because of the noise. I had hessian bags across my knees and chapped hands that extended half way up my arms not to mention the chilblains on my poor old feet.

They were great on warm sunny days but horrible through the winter.................

;) David,there's actually a BigBud 650/50 just up the road from you in Middlesborough,it was in one of the tractor mags earlier in the year,it also does the show circuit, http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Bud

Bill that remind's me of the sixty's,my poor old Dad used to drive cabless MF35's 135's IH 250's,and he had what he called "The Tank Commander's"jacket,it was so thick,it stood up itself,no button's on this thing,it was far to heavy,it had metal clasp's that kept it firmly closed,must have been soul destroying back then,two tractor's with single furrow plough's,ploughing a forty acre feild on a cold frosty day,no heater no radio,

Regards

Joe.

Of all the tractors that have been around and in mainstream use whilst I have been in farming, the only one I regret not having had a chance to use was a Muir Hill (when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, Muir Hills were all around my area of Lincolnshire, so it was only natural to dream of driving one!).  I did once work on a farm which had run a Muir Hill 121 until a couple of months before I started working there, but it had been replaced by a V reg County 1474 (registration PFE 831V if memory serves), so I wasn't too sad to miss out on the Muir Hill at the time  :) .

There is a shortnose 1474 with that reg number on the County Register.

http://www.county-tractors.co.uk/register.html

Top of my wishlist is the County 1174 and County 1184.

i would really like to drive a fendt 936 -939 and go Christmas shopping in it to the nearest city to me like  Durham or middlesbrough not bothered which city ,,,and it would be very interesting to see if any cheeky Christmas shopper wants to beat me in a parking space,,,,it has to be a black one of course just so it looks more intimidating ,,,,because even my white van does not seem to get any respect from them  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ,,,,,or by the way just out of interest what would it cost me to hire a tractor like this for saturday 24th dec just for an afternoon  ;) ;)

Same here John the list is endless but a few off the top of my head would be,

A Field Mashall series 3, my favourite vintage tractor and that engine sound is just so wonderful on similar lines a John Deere 820/30 a beast of a machine and the ultimate jonney popper!.

Any County, Roadless or Muir Hill, i very breifly drove a County 1174 several years ago and recently driven a Porche 911 turbo, i felt more excited in control of the lumbering big wheeler!!!!.. :of

On a more sentimental note i would love to spend a day working with a late 2 door Massey Fegie 550, my father spent many hours working on one and he kept his tractor spotless, on occation i sat on his lap and steered the tractor when i was a nipper, i remember one day we went muck spreading hop waste and i spread the whole load while my dad was talking to his colleage on the headland..

Also again me being sentimental, a Leyland 272 hitched to a old flail type forager and trailer, watching 2 of these combinations when i was a child working every spring in the meadows near my home left a lasting memory, the sound alone was awesome..

Saying that give me the keys of any tractor young or old and i will be more then happy to have a go!! :laugh:

;) David,there's actually a BigBud 650/50 just up the road from you in Middlesborough,it was in one of the tractor mags earlier in the year,it also does the show circuit, http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Bud

Thanks for the link Joe. I've followed this tractor's arrival and restoration progress closely through Classic Tractor in the past. I've yet to see the tractor in the flesh though. The photograph in the link you've provided appears to have been taken at one of the best local vintage rallies not far from where I live at Newby Hall near Ripon. Must say whilst it's absolutely fantastic to have one of these huge tractors preserved over here and each to their own when it comes to restoring a tractor unique to this country such as this. But there's several elements to this restoration I'm personally not all that keen on. I reckon i'd gain a far greater buzz from seeing a tractor such as this across the pond working in it's proper environment.