Thinking about buying a County

Fendt Fahrer

Hey guys, I have been thinking about this for a long time now. I would like to buy a County to restore. I have been thinking about a 1174 or something along those lines. The only problem is that I am in Canada and the choices we have here are very limited. I found two tractors for sale in my greater area. Unfortunatly no 1174.

Here is a 654: http://www.agdealer.com/list/view_image.cfm?ID=420451&SearchID=92700315&startrow=1&Act=EQUIPVIEW&listpage=index.cfm

looks like not much needs to be restored on this one  :(

and here a super six; (which model I do not know , maybe a 1124....)

http://www.agdealer.com/list/view_image.cfm?ID=429778&SearchID=92700315&startrow=1&Act=EQUIPVIEW&listpage=index.cfm

I think this tractor would be very interesting but I feel it is too expensive,

What do you guys think?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i was going to buy a county i'd go for cambridgeshire :)

:D :D  .. I'll second that... although you'll not need any climbing gear  :of:-[  .. oh wait... we do have 'the gogs' of course... 2 MASSIVE mountains to the back of Cambridge City  :P  .. not forgetting Lime Kiln Hill as well

CANADA!! Id say a FORD tractor itself would be rare in Canada,not to mind a County. Best of luck there mate in finding one.  :) That 654 looks tidy, tough but a bit underpowered at 65HP for its size when a  the smaller 4000/4600 FOUR is tapping out 62HP if you think about it. Not much between em.

No there are a lot of Ford tractors still on the market here. I screwed up a few years ago when one of my cousins in Ontario sold their farm. They had a county but sold it before I was aware that they are selling it!

yeah 65 hp is defenitly underpowered.

I know a bloke that went working out there on Combines. He said Fords & NHs were there but kinda rare alright.  Big JD & Case IH country he said along with a few Versatiles here and there.

Wonder what the shipping costs from chevrons, Cambridge to Canada would be  :laugh: something tells me not as much as you would think ??? Trissy could do a run over with it if not , bit of ice road trucking for him

ha ha!. Its the hassles to get them in to Canada. They have to be absolutly free of any foreign material (dirt) or if they find a speck Canada Custums will clean it at your costs and you can imagine yourself what this could cost....  >:( . They have absolutly no concept of how much money one has. I have heard that such a cleaning could cost up to 2000 Dollars.

I know a bloke that went working out there on Combines. He said Fords & NHs were there but kinda rare alright.  Big JD & Case IH country he said along with a few Versatiles here and there.

Yeah in the west they would be rarer but here in the east there is a lot of them around.

just visited a dealer that had 6 - 1454's, a 944, 2 - 754's and 2 - 1124's in his yard in various states.. and a great project that involved 2 Ford TW30's.

from the looks of what is offered around you, i think both tractors are a bit on the high end compared to prices over here.. But with a bit of negotiating, you should be able to get it down to a more proper figure i can imagine. I would definately check first that all original County parts are in good shape. The Ford parts will be much easier to find then the County parts! oh and throw off the cab of the 1124.. dont think it is worth saving ;)

I agree with SPN, only make sure the select-o-speed 'box is working correctly in every gear. And about the front axle and other parts like steeringparts etc, they wear out under the load most County tractors used to work and are very expensive and takes a lot work to get it fixed again.

The cab on the 654 looks great imo :) .

Go for it, but be sure to check everything two or three times!!!

That 1124 looks a beauty, well worth the $$$$. Rip the cab off and you have a decent machine!!!

Wil, have you any photos of these tractors to put on the register? Or have you some photos, are the 1454s, are they for sale?

Whats going on with the TW30s??

I already was on that site. very nice and informative.

I will be patient with my search. I think a carefull selection will pay big dividents as spare parts will be very dificult to locate in Canada. The 654 looks nice but is defenitly to small for here. 100 hp or more is a must.

I already was on that site. very nice and informative.

I will be patient with my search. I think a carefull selection will pay big dividents as spare parts will be very dificult to locate in Canada. The 654 looks nice but is defenitly to small for here. 100 hp or more is a must.

Hi i got my  954 here in Manitoba a few years ago and paid $5000 for it there are pictures on page 3 of members machinery if you want to look.  as you have said you really need to watch out for parts especially the unique county stuff. Most of the wrecking yards that had countys in have cleared them out as they where stripped and are getting to old to stock. be very carefull as I was quoted $5000 for a used hub for another tractor I looked at before I got mine guys know that they are not common :(  .

I would also think twice about using it on the farm for the same reason if something happens its gonna get expensive quick. I have only put about 3 hours on mine in 5 years.

I was offered 10 grand for mine with the new tires and turned it down as they are hard to find and didn't Think I could replace it for $5000 again.

I dont want to put you off they are a real show stopper tractor as not many guys in Canada know what they are. Im just passing my owners knowlege on to a potential owner.

Regards Robert :) 

I see you've started the restoration with the front offside wheel then Howard... lick of paint on the rest of it and bingo... job done... old Peter Love will be twisting your arm for a scoop in F&F magazine  :P

Got to start somewhere Mark  :laugh:

Actually that wheel was duly sold after I painted it............to be honest it came painted ha ha!

It wasn't but what about aftermarket cabs fitted? They are typical of the period when the tractor was new and help to keep the original appearance. Well, that's just my thought! To many cabs get scrapped these days.