Oakley Estate Farms

• 4 weeks later...

The first update of the revised Oakley. Just to bring you all up to speed as to what has been happening on farm. 2021 was a year of big change here. As some of you that have followed from the start will know, Oakley is owned by a landowner who was also a Lord, as the company grew and scaled up the contract farming side of the business was set up to run along side the home farm. This was co owned by the land owner and several partners. This was very successful and fitted the business model of stubble to stubble, but where it differed from other farming companies in the area was offering the whole package including grain drying, storage, handling, marketing and transport, allowing a premium to the customers. Back in March the sad news that the Landowner was retiring hit us. As he reached the age of 71 and felt a quiet life in Cornwall was more appealing after 50+ years of being a director of the farming company as well as other businesses such as the business parks, solar panels and residential properties. This obviously was devastating news for the farm, throwing the future into unknown, with no children interested in farming the different areas of the estate were broken up. The business parks and residential sides have been handed down, and the land and farm buildings put on the market. With the landowner being the largest shareholder in the contract farming side, this unfortunately also had to be disbanded with the remaining partners unable to buy out. This may sound like the end but we have a new owner who managed to acquire the home farm as a lot in September. Already a farmer along with his brother and nephew the timing couldn’t of been better after having their farm and land bought and built on near Taunton for the new Junction 25 of the M5 motorway. The eldest of the brothers has retired leaving Simon to take the reigns of Oakley Farms along with his nephew Will who is an agronomist. An exciting new start with a different approach, and different team but a huge challenge ahead!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

November on the farm

With Simon now getting to grips with the undertaking of the farm, a number of key decisions have been made about which direction to take it in. The first has been one that wasn’t taken lightly, Oakley have decided to give up growing potatoes, a key crop in the history of the estate and one that the whole crop rotation was based around. Contracts for growing potatoes in our area have become hard to come by even with Branston being on our doorstep. Spuds is not a crop Simon or Will are familiar with either. This then sparked the selling of all potato equipment, planter, destoner, bedtiller, grading line and boxes. A local farmer has even bought the cold stores to take down which has started. This means the labour force isn’t required either so many have been made redundant or left. Simon had re-recruited Alex and taken on one more tractor driver Colin. In order to simplify things it will now be a 2 man team with Simon and Will available when required and part time help during harvest from John and Ashley who live locally. Crops are now all combinable, Winter Wheat, Oilseed Rape and Spring Beans. 
Most of the machinery was sold when the farm went on the market but Simon was able to buy a few key pieces of equipment, including one of the Lexion 780 combines, one of the Challenger 800’s, 12 meter Horsch Drill, Vaderstad Rolls, hedge trimmer, 2 of the Fendt 724’s, one of the Claas handlers, 6 meter Horsch Tiger and an old flatbed. Since we are pretty much drilled up now he has sold the Challenger and the 12m Horsch Sprinter as it’s too big now for what we need and will downsize. The sales rep from Claas Western has been in trying to swap out the Lexion which has now done 8 seasons and Simon is also in talks to share farm a sprayer in order to keep costs down and justify a decent size machine as Will is very keen on getting timings on right. 2 trailers are also on order for next harvest.

We are going to have a bit of a shuffle round in the yard now to make the best use of the new space we have once the cold store and grading shed have gone, try to take out the old pinch point by the dryer To make the yard safer and put up a smaller grain store with some bays inside for flexibility. Simon is still keen to dry and store for other local farmers in Somerset.

Hopefully this begins for give you all an insight as to what’s going to happen. In the real world I have been looking at the shape of the new spare room and trying to figure out how to build the new layout. I have also started work on some of the new models that will feature in the new display.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

December on the farm

Plans have now been finalised for the new buildings to go up, work is starting with a machinery shed then a workshop and spray store, with a grain store to be completed in time for harvest and the moving of the dryer. Quite a tough schedule really.

On the machinery front more has been leaving the yard than entering it, the Lexion has now gone, and the Challenger and drill. However Simon has just done a deal with Hawthorne Grainstores to purchase a well looked after machine to bring down the Somerset from Wiltshire, he has also done a deal on a new sprayer and cultivator which should all be here in the new year.

Back in the real world, timber has been purchased for the base of the new layout and also materials for the first of the new sheds, I will post pictures of the progress as I go but will be starting imminently!

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tonight’s progress, boards laid out and joined. This time the layout will be up on a table rather than on the floor, so the next job will be building the legs for it to stand on. I then marked out all the new buildings onto the boards to give a sense of position. Happy so far

913D6F9F-68B7-4B1C-8CFB-7E7F04B75697.jpeg

8DB8A91E-3EA1-4CB2-AE1B-F73221D6A973.jpeg

AF135E6E-8C8D-4878-9AC5-F623C2F45E2B.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Its always fun to do these layouts, but space is the limiting factor.  I always envied the pop star Rod Stewart who has a huge train set and landscape in a purpose built loft space.  As a Carpenter I could really get carried away with no limits on space and finance😄.....................Oakleys looking good so far🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, phil phoenix said:

I like to bring a contractor into the equation who runs a different tractor brand, keeps things more interesting. If you start with a Fendt farm theres nowhere else to go, farmers rarely change Fendt for any other brand.

There will be a bit of mix this time around with a little hint of “old Skool”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think my last buildings needed bringing into the 21st century, so thought I’d have ago at building them as they are in real. Finished this shed for now until cladding which will probably be after the concrete yard has gone down. Also started on a farm office this evening, cladded in Cedar

0F5E913A-4468-4CF0-9934-9859E5884A32.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, phil phoenix said:

Your probably already wishing you could make it twice as big😄

1000% he will, just like i would like to increase my field space by double or more ,just my lofts no bigger and the neighbours aint having it 😆😆😆😆

• Like 1