Harvest 2014!

malcy_p

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not strictly a 'spot' but saw a lorry load of freshly baled straw on the back of a lorry on the A10 near Hertford so suggests the lighter lands around Cambridge might have Barley harvest underway. Everything seems esrly this year...some of the osr locally looks only a week away.

Ol,

are we having a map this year again..... please!?!? :D

/malc.

Just seen the 1st lot of widowed OSR on the 1st farm out of me town here at Goole , ( no pics as yet ) they grow all there crops for seed , then some barley at the local Co - op farm ( 1st )thats just turning ; the last pics are from up near Thixendale . N Yorks barley again , very large amount of barley up there this year grown on a lot on one of the big farm estates that have loads of land in that area , Dave ( click , click ) will know of it im sure as he know s that area very well ,

post-4039-0-48531700-1404284879_thumb.jp

post-4039-0-92782600-1404284936_thumb.jp

post-4039-0-11276000-1404285033_thumb.jp

post-4039-0-51779300-1404285303_thumb.jp

We started combining barley this afternoon, only a high yielding 6 row variety is grown as all grain is kept on the farm for feeding the pigs. I'll not be having much involvement with harvest as I'm on the hedge cutting side of the business but will try to get some pictures as and when I can. Combine is a new to us 2008 John Deere W540 which replaced a 1075.

Hi JD 6910 A very nice part of Yorkshire  :)   silly as this sounds i ve not seen that many combines up there  over the years - trouble is there never near the road side  when i do see 1 , ha ha! , i was chatting to 2 farm workers  pulling wild oats & thay did have a little smile  at me a little ,as its flat land here where we are & they dont have any flat fields  up there way 

These pic are a little of line but kind of fit  with harvest  , well me thinks so :)

Pic 1 - well cattle are a different  kind of harvest  ( meat )

Pic 2 - is a quite place to eat youre dinner in bewteen looking for tractors & combines

Pic 3 - there lots areas set aset for the Bees , No Bees no harvest if you get me :)

Hi JD 6910 A very nice part of Yorkshire  :)   silly as this sounds i ve not seen that many combines up there  over the years - trouble is there never near the road side  when i do see 1 , ha ha! , i was chatting to 2 farm workers  pulling wild oats & thay did have a little smile  at me a little ,as its flat land here where we are & they dont have any flat fields  up there way 

These pic are a little of line but kind of fit  with harvest  , well me thinks so :)

Pic 1 - well cattle are a different  kind of harvest  ( meat )

Pic 2 - is a quite place to eat youre dinner in bewteen looking for tractors & combines

Pic 3 - there lots areas set aset for the Bees , No Bees no harvest if you get me :)

post-4039-0-19550600-1404335044_thumb.jp

post-4039-0-14567200-1404335134_thumb.jp

post-4039-0-63255000-1404335240_thumb.jp

We started combining barley this afternoon, only a high yielding 6 row variety is grown as all grain is kept on the farm for feeding the pigs. I'll not be having much involvement with harvest as I'm on the hedge cutting side of the business but will try to get some pictures as and when I can. Combine is a new to us 2008 John Deere W540 which replaced a 1075.

How are you liking your new job Gav?

It's good thanks Niels, bit of variety at the moment, was cutting a hedge at a high school this morning followed by field entrances on a pig unit this afternoon, looking like I'm probably off to Newmarket tomorrow or next week at the moment too so making things interesting.

Sizewell indeed - well spotted! I've been contracting there since before Christmas in the IT team, it's a funky place to work. :)

The camera pole is made from swaged ali tubes like the ones that hold the nets around garden trampolines... actually they are identical to the ones that hold the nets around garden trampolines! The sections are 1.7m long so fit in a car, and five sections gives an 8.5 elevation, which seems OK. Six sections is over 10m and rather wobbly and unwieldy.

I use a Hahnel remote shutter release, cheesy demo video here but it gives a video feed from and control of the camera to a receiver on the ground. It seems to work quite well, and I aim to stay more than 8.5m away from anything important so that even if the pole falls over it won't hit a car, tractor or get swallowed by a combine... ;)

It's raining today, so no combine action in east Suffolk, tomorrow's forecast isn't looking much better... boo!

/malc.

That looks a very nice bit of kit Malc. Certainly a lot cheaper than a drone. Friend of mine uses something very similar but doesn't have live view. He uses a retractable pole which is normally used for garden tools. Shame you have to buy an LCD screen with the Hahnel as an app on my iPhone would do just as well I think if you send the signal to bluetooth.

Bingo, there is one! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eos-remote/id565839396?mt=8 I have an EOS 6D which has Wifi so can connect to my iPhone and shoot remotely. Best of all it's free!

Tight wad Neil's :)

Can't be to far off this way now I suspect prob the rape as in the last two days several have cut the grass back round the headlands and a grain store I pass has been unlocked and they were servicing his fordson That's used to power his grain drier . Lot of people this way seem to have left a good two header widths of natural grass on the boundary a this year? Never noticed it like that before

I got the Hahnel second hand from a friend for peanuts, and as my Canon does not have WIFI or BT the Hahnel does the job nicely!

I did think about a drone, but the cost/hassle factors were too much. Also I don't know what farmers would think about a drone 'buzzing' their combine - also one strong gust of wind could send the drone and your camera crashing to a mechanised doom! :)

So, will you knock up a pole yourself Niels?? :)

/malc.

Archived