Massey Ferguson 5480 + loader

Plan is to try and make the loader look more like the massey 955 loader somehow as this is an older style quicke / massey 894 I think. Also I'm going to make some kind off eurohitch coupler so I can swap easily between pallet forks,different buckets etc once I;ve sctrach built them,may even look at trying to make wiking loader attachments to fit it.

mf5480loader005.jpg

mf5480loader006.jpg

very nice start James,what are the wheels off mate?

Thanks Paul,front axle and and rims are the off uh claas 836,with tyres from the mf 5480,then bit of building to get the 5480 front mudguards to fit on the claas axle,then added the front suspension workings off a spare 5480 axle on to the claas axle as well,plus cut down the inside of the new rims so these tyres fitted nice and tight!

• 5 months later...

Bit of an update on this model,I have been doing odd bits here and there,just can't seem to get fully in to building what with work and other stuff.

I wasn't overly happy with the style of rims I first chose for it,I preferred the look of the ones from the claas ares 577/657 so got one cheapish from ebay,and as luck would have it I could fit back in the original 5480 front axle as these new claas front wheels fit directly on to the 5480 axle with no modifying needed which was a bonus so they spin nicely.

I had to stick with the claas tyres as these rims are a bit wider than the 5480 tyres that I liked but hey ho on that.

So with having wider tyres the front mudguards were slightly too low and narrow,so rather than ordering some from artisan I used the mudguards from the ares 836 which look okay,just had to do some scratchbuilding and drilling out for fixing them on with brass rods and glue so there nice and strong and won't fall off if it got knocked.

Next job was to make the weight hanger so just cut off the wafers and a bit of pasticard and a pin and done.Does anyone do casting on here at all? as these would be suitable for other modern masseys I have planned could easily make another for casting as you can't buy these.

5480%20update%20001.jpg

5480%20update%20002.jpg

I have started modding the front attachments I have but I need more than these and I'm not too sure on the earth bucket,I had a spare uh nh loader and always thought the front grab looked odd not having tines on the lower part of the grab so I cut off the flat bit of diecast and added tines, it attaches to the loader by me copying as close as I could to a eurohitch coupler that's on real frontloaders.

Heres a few other attachments I have made to fit,so that's the next bit really making and converting all the attachments I want for it and then making the loader look a bit more like the one on Markys machine.

5480%20update%20003.jpg

5480%20update%20004.jpg

5480%20update%20005.jpg

5480%20update%20006.jpg

getting there Jamie, when I did markys one, I used the 5480 tyres on it, ares hubs ,as the width was lost on the inside of the rims, under the arches so couldn't be seen ,seem to remember the fronts were not a problem?? if anything they were ever so slightly loose on the rims to from memory, the hubs were a smidge smaller, just miniscule, but enough. liking the attachment's to , 

Looks spot on Jamie, want to do a 5480 or 70 with a loader for my collection/layout. Yours is giving me the inspiration do get on and do it!! How have you fixed the loader to the chassis?

cheers Johny,Sean and Will,loader is fixed to the chassis with four screws same as valtra c,two up near the loader guards then two below the brackets,below the brackets fixing had to be packed out with plasticard to balence it up.

Thanks for tip on the wheels Sean may try it on another one

Archived