classic tractor 2015

you know I loved it rory ....ha ha ha ...... it confirmed allot of things I always thought but one question to anyone who worked Doncaster

why didn't they ever make a 885 XL available as shuttle transmission or the hydro ....they were only available on the L cabs or

sekura cabs not the XLs

• 3 months later...

As always i am enjoying the latest edition of the magazine, but I have a question for Rory.

Last year sometime I noticed that an edition was missing the mishaps page at the back, it then reappeared for one or two issues and then disappeared again. I have not seen the picture page since nor any explanation as to why it is no longer a feature. Perhaps you could explain the reason? Just out of interest really.

Thanks

Richard

• 1 month later...

Dear Richo, I am sorry for the delay responding to your post. The reason for the non-appearance was simple and nothing more sinister than a lack of suitable pictures from the readers. They simply dried up for a time. As we don't 'poach' them from other sites, we had no option but to briefly curtail the page until a stock of 'mishaps' came in. This has now happened and it is up and running again. Unfortunately, quite a few of the pics we get sent are too small to use in terms of their file sizes, being sent by mobile devices with default settings that reduce the size of the original images to something approaching thumb nail size. If we used them they would pixelate quite badly in print.

Hope that answers your question and thanks for your interest.

Regards R. Day, Editor, Classic Tractor

Dear Richo, I am sorry for the delay responding to your post. The reason for the non-appearance was simple and nothing more sinister than a lack of suitable pictures from the readers. They simply dried up for a time. As we don't 'poach' them from other sites, we had no option but to briefly curtail the page until a stock of 'mishaps' came in. This has now happened and it is up and running again. Unfortunately, quite a few of the pics we get sent are too small to use in terms of their file sizes, being sent by mobile devices with default settings that reduce the size of the original images to something approaching thumb nail size. If we used them they would pixelate quite badly in print.

Hope that answers your question and thanks for your interest.

Regards R. Day, Editor, Classic Tractor

Thanks for the reply Rory. I am pleased to see the latest issue has the mishaps page, I will have to send in some amusing pictures I have taken over the years......

It must be difficult and tiring to constantly be hunting down new stories, new restorations and relevant info to put together a front line mag every month, but for my tastes Classic Tractor always delivers, I've mentioned before that I've every issue from number 1 and in the last 3 years especially the articles are excellent and have drawn me deeper into the mag.There are so many parts of it I enjoy that I honestly don't have a favourite section anymore, for me there used to be 3 mags I bought every month including CT but in the last 18 months it's been only CT being bought alongside my yearly subscription to FOFH. All connected with CT must be congratulated on there hard work and determination on delivering the top tractor magazine and it's obvious there is a good team behind it who must all work well together. I've nothing but praise for the mag and can't think of one thing I'd do in which to improve it but I'm sure the team will come up with yet more in the future that id never have thought of. Growing up on and amongst what now are Classic Tractors I often regret that cameras or phones weren't so readily available to capture them at work but in many ways CT makes up for this by digging deep into archive material that for me brings me back to those special times when our lands were buzzing with UK BUILT machines that although there factories are long gone continue to do what they were made to do, but also the influences and introductions of non UK machines that kept the drive for the best product so interesting. Life would definitely be duller without CT for me. It takes tractor men to write a tractor mans mag

It is a great mag & I have never missed an issue in the last 10 years.. When I see features & pics on machinery from the 70's & 80's era working back then ..its just fantastic.. And to be able to pull that stuff from the archives & share it with all us enthusiasts threw the mag is fabulous.. No other magazine does it as good.. I had to spend 2 days in Hospital for a check up a week ago & the first thing I backed in my bag going in was the June issue of Classic tractor.. :laugh:  Looking forward to the Ford 4000 feature in the July issue. ;)  

BOR, IH785LCabman and Justy 46,

Thanks so much for these great comments which I shall pass on to the contributing team. These things are always a good boost to moral. Over the years we have built up a very solid, loyal and knowledgeable group of contributing writers and the magazine wouldn't be the same without them. BOR, so pleased that we could do something on your models at long last. They have been on the radar for a long time and David did a great job with the pics and his article. Mind you, with subject matter like that to work with we couldn't really fail to produce an interesting article. More than pleased to put it in front of a wider audience. We'll try not to change too much about the magazine in the future, but everything moves on and a little tweak here and there is possibly needed, but no major surgery. Suggestions on content are always welcome. Regards Rory Day, Editor

have you ever thought abut an online issue rory?? I used to subscribe, but just ran out of space to keep them all, whilst I like/ prefer a paper copy in my hand, it could solve some storage issues for others to including  myself

Keeping up with modern times and technology you can see advantages for electronic copy....... though it does have one major disadvantage, as you can't use an electronic copy to give the apprentice a quick clip round the ear when he gets your butty order wrong of a brew time :laugh:  :laugh:

Guys, requests for digital copies are few and far between, hence not really pushing it, but I thought we offered the option via our website? Might be wrong, I'll have to check, not really my department, which explains my vague response.   RD 

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased my copy this morning on the way to work, and due to the silage special and not being able to stop reading it seems that Classic Tractor mag now have to forward a cheque to my employer for a very non productive mornings work!!!!  I personally love the old archive silage material, I can remember most of it working here and also would have been working a lot of it or drawing trailers from it. It never seemed at the time that it would be remembered in future years so fondly, CT have now done a few silage specials and I find them most interesting to read, and by covering subjects like farm favourites with high hours is another very interesting subject for me, because when you read about the users experience through all those high hours you can almost pinpoint every tractors plus and down sides but also learn a lot about the mechanical side of things too, I have found myself many times in the company of men who are either restoring or repairing a machine or tractor and by remembering certain things from previous CT mags have shed light on many subjects (ive a very good memory for all things mechanical)  By this I especially mean the section in the mag where readers write in with a problem on their tractor and it impresses me every time with the thorough answers that are provided, its by remembering this kind that you can sometimes help others by passing the info on. In short Rory its yet another red hot copy and I for one sincerely hope we keep getting the glossy monthly mag rather than heading down the modern online version route. Now just around 30 days to wait for something as interesting to read again, my next few evenings will be spent going over it in case I missed anything, I haven't of course but im hoping to squeeze one last bit of reading out of it.Very interesting to read about the KING combine collection, id heard about it but nice to see the items singled out

All this talk.about classic tractor..i just bought a copy to give it a try...i have only bought the odd issue in the past..this issue has plenty of blue so i reckon it will keep me interested.

Fantasic issue again Rory.. In the Forage Harvesting Modern Classics feature .. seems alot of the classic tractors used by the local contractors in my area of Dripsey & Coachford got a feature.. Cronins Ford 8770, Finnegans Fiat F140  & Pat Murphys JD 7710 are all very familiar to myself passing my door every day.. Good to see the local boys machines in the mag.. It will be a good read for the next few days !!! ;)

B O R - genuinely, you say the nicest things. Thank you so much. I've forwarded it on to the publishers, warning them that they will have to provide some form of compensation to your employers for the distraction that the latest issue is causing. Not sure if the next one will be quite so good (we'll try) as this one was a bit special due to the forage harvesting special and the wealth of Irish content, relevant to your country/interest.

Thanks for your enthusiasm and for being such a good supporter of the magazine.  

Rory

Archived