The Valley Axeman's Major Marshall Mission

Valley Axe Man

1 minute ago, smithy said:

That's a fantastic amount Paul ,well done to everyone that amount will help a lot of people in the area .๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘ย 

Thanks Smithy, aye it should help alot, was a good night overall and a bit of fun, Me and Gemma already started making plans for next year's run, going to up the light numbers to a minimum of 2000 per tractor, as we went yesterday and in the half price sales bought another 1800 lights.... ๐Ÿ‘Œ

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, robbo said:

Nice new acquisition Paul, look forward the story of the renovationย 

Cheers Mike, will get her mechanically right and run her for a while and see if anything develops before thinking of painting her up but should make a nice pair with the 804ย 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, justy 46 said:

That's a rare one Paul. Not many off them to be found in 4wd these days. Looking forward to seeing it progressing. She should be alittle gem when it's finished.ย ๐Ÿ˜„

Thanks Justin, she's a straight old bus but needs a bit of tin worm sorting in the sheet steel parts of the cab... Frame is solid just the tins gone where water has sat between the overlapped panels and not got away. She runs well though, and despite being 10 horse less than the 804 shell grip every bit as good with those weighty pavt wheels. First job though has to be sort the brakes out. Updates as we get stuck in ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

rare old girl, you got the cab doors for her as well ? ย know it wont be a cheap one,but shes worth the rebuild up to the 804 level , must be rare enough with patv rears as well,ย 

Yes she came with a set of doors and a back window too, doors have suffered badly, frames aren't bad but skins have gone although I think you can get a skin repair kit to just cut out and weld in. There would be a bit of cost in sandblast and paint but long-term might be the right way, meanwhile what I repair can have a cost of red lead and be left until I know she's right... The Pavt wheels are an option on the 4 potters, as well as the 6's, was a 472 used by Leyland as s publicity stunt at the launch of the synchro range, they gave it s rack of weights out front, and water ballasted pavt rears and then hung a 4 furrow plough on the back... Nowt special about a 72hp Tractor pulling 4 furrows I hear you say.. but to spice things up they chained a 3 furrow equipped 262 synchro behind the 472 and left the 262 dead to act as extra anchorage.... The 472 took the lot, 7 furrows and 3 ton of dead 262 up the field... Which to be fair is pretty good by anyone's standards for a 72 horse tractor... Pure long stroke torque and traction in action ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 4

3 hours ago, smithy said:

Nice find there Paul ,looking forward to future updates on this oneย 

Thanks Smithy, had a couple of hours at her today whilst Gemma's been at work... Surprisingly where I'd expect to find rot there's good metal, though to be fair Leyland did use thick plate in certain areas, the cab floor for instance is 6,mm plate ..ย  the only rotten bits are where the wing tops meet the inner wing, like it's been a big moisture trap and blown it's self out with rust... The 1" box section runner that acts as the lower window frame support has a good bit of pittng in it but will chop it out and replace it as a matter of course, but rest of frame is solid with the usual hammer test...ย 

• Like 2

Cab cladding removed, floor plates unbolted and removed to gain better access for the brake slave cylinders and linkages, brakes stripped and cleaned up, just need a couple of fresh clevis pins and some dust seals from Charnleys next week and brakes can go back together..ย 

IMG_20220102_121226.jpg

IMG_20220102_121238.jpg

IMG_20220101_130107.jpg

IMG_20220102_121250.jpg

IMG_20220102_121316.jpg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, 844john said:

I see you have my go-to tool of choice for most repairs in your second picture there Paul!๐Ÿ˜‰

Hahaha.. well it solves most issues John... You can give big taps with a little hammer and struggle or you can give little taps with a big hammer....ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Hahaha.. well it solves most issues John... You can give big taps with a little hammer and struggle or you can give little taps with a big hammer....ย ๐Ÿ˜‰

I was always told that itโ€™s not the size of the boat but the motion on the ocean that counts Paul, I canโ€™t remember who by now, hope it wasnโ€™t the wife...๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

• Haha 4

Seeing as it's bank holiday Monday I thought I'd take advantage of a few more hours stripping the 472, side windows out, roof lifted, offsideย  mudguard removed to reveal full extent of the tin worm, then front quarter lights popped out along with windscreen to allow repairs to cladding to frame joints where waters got in and blown the joints apart, will drill out the spot welds around the windscreen panel as and clean the mating surfaces before s lick of primer and then weld them back together, same with the quarter light panels, although they were stitch welded and not seam sealed... But whilst it's at this stage might as well tidy it up and make it right.... Just sat down with a brew and a couple of left over mince pies and I work out the bend allowances so I can refabricate the cab tin work under the side window and mudguard... Progress will slow down abit now as back at work tomorrow.... But at least that gives me the scope to make the panels I need and get a box of welding rods and some cutting discs for the big remove the rot campaign ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

ย 

IMG_20220102_140316.jpg

IMG_20220102_140340.jpg

IMG_20220103_100849.jpg

IMG_20220103_100942.jpg

IMG_20220103_101121.jpg

IMG_20220103_101132.jpg

IMG_20220103_120408.jpg

IMG_20220103_120429.jpg

IMG_20220103_120440.jpg

IMG_20220103_120459.jpg

IMG_20220103_120508.jpg

IMG_20220103_120541.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, dm434 said:

You have a few hours work to do Paulย 

Yes there's a good few hours to put in her but once it's done it's done.. and by the time we get it finished I'll have taught Gemma to weld. Will make a good tractor when tidied up, I'm just unsure of how many oil leaks will develop once it's up on the go with it being stood a while

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

with your skills i want to be seeing stainless steel replacements paul ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† even if they will be painted over .

Just a bit more tricky than mild steel Sean... As need use 309 welding rods for the dissimilar metals, plus the stainless will move more with heat when welded rather than normal steel...ย 

Couple of hours up at the shed this morning on the 472.. pulling front panel of cab back in to a straight line against both of the the A pillars of the cab... top half of the windscreen frame needs same treatment whilst the screen is out, anyhows rust cleaned away, primed between then clamped up, stitched welded, seam sealed on both sides of the joints and given a coat of red lead primer for now... I think when new the cab corner was actually filled with body filler and then sanded to give a slight radius but that will be for another day..... time for a coffee me thinks ๐Ÿ˜‰

ย 

IMG_20220109_103114.jpg

IMG_20220109_104122.jpg

IMG_20220109_110638.jpg

IMG_20220109_113913.jpg

IMG_20220109_121819.jpg

IMG_20220109_121926.jpg

IMG_20220109_121943.jpg

IMG_20220109_122249.jpg

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, 844john said:

Looks like some work involved there Paul, but Iโ€™m sure youโ€™re the man for the job๐Ÿ‘

Cheers John, aye a bit to do but once cabs back together, it's just a bit of wiring to get her mobile and then run her to see what develops... Hoping the steel sheet will be in at work this week, had a couple of trial mock ups bending the repair sections for the inner wing, I didn't knock enough off for the radiuses on the first attempt as ended up 1/8 of an inch out but think I've bossed it now.... As for structural bits there's only 2 pieces of 1" box to put in under the side windows so I'm hoping that will be next weekend job if all goes to plan... Once I've the panels bent up, a good couple of days will break its backย 

• Like 2