Sculpting, how hard can it be?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking good so far james, i had not noticed the thickness of the arms till you mentioned it, they do look a bit long though maybe?? 

as for the bike, its only a lump of metal i guess, main thing is you ain't more seriously hurt.

Cheers chaps, nothing time won't heal.

I think the length is pretty much right Sean, in that position the arm 'grows' as the shoulders push forwards infront of the neck. I've shrunk the hands down and completely reworked the hand holding the shears, will get a mould made and see how it looks with some paint on.

ah i see what you mean about the arm length now its painted james, with colour added  you get a better perspective of it instead of against the bare wax behind it, also hadn't realised there was a set of shears in that arm either .certainly a good step forward i must say, bar the hands you mentioned i cant really see much wrong with it  bar no tats on his arms :D

• 4 weeks later...

Another go at a swaley, this time in wax, criticisms please? Smaller this time, a bit more in scale than the last. Still not to happy with the head.

I realised I got the head on the wrong end as I finished, the wide stood legs should have been at the back, not the front!

IMG_20190804_144551.thumb.jpg.54ff785a8535564063775a435ae9660d.jpg

IMG_20190804_144602.thumb.jpg.46f34e21b060ac0047912d52f9c3595b.jpg

IMG_20190804_144738.thumb.jpg.7b5ac0447eca20070d6642cb6d370009.jpg

IMG_20190804_144746.thumb.jpg.57d8221579d15c348019f85f2648dadf.jpg

IMG_20190804_144756.thumb.jpg.dafac137dc104f274a9f998e7503565d.jpg

IMG_20190804_144839.thumb.jpg.f90989671a690d67f0b7959696008f10.jpg

Looking good James. I like the farmers tan on the shearer. Your swaley looks good from the side but it is too thick set or strong for the breed. But of course a young fell yow looks a lot different to an aged yow on lovely grass on a lowland farm. 

• 4 months later...

Didn't realise I haven't updated with finished Swaledales, will sort some photos out at some point. Changed the way I am sculling slightly, I sculpt a single head then cast it, then sculpt the bodies with the resin head in different poses. I've sorted the heads for the next breeds I plan to do, from left to right Texel, Herdwick, Blue Faced Leicester and a Valais Blacknose. 

IMG_20191226_175912.thumb.jpg.b00e537421e5f9e209aa49fd2794a342.jpg

Cheers guys

I'm not entirely sure Sean. Those four heads where an afternoons work, so about an hour a piece, bodies take about the same time as the shape comes alot easier, so 2 to 3 hours for an entire animal as an estimate, obviously some take longer than others, depends how much thinking is needed! 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These are looking very good James, I've been meaning to reply I this for a while but I haven't had much chance to get on here lately. I hope you don't mind but some constructive criticism. The blue face Leicester could maybe do with being longer legged and slightly finer at the end of their snout but you have got their stature and that roman nose bang on. Swaleys are very good as well, the only thing I could pick fault with them is the black colour, it seems very shiny and also too clean of a line between the black and white on the face, i'll add a photo or two below that I took this morning showing the variation in amount of black around especially head, kneck and legs. Texels look excellent, a good broad and sticky stature, they are cock on for tups, ewes would be less front heavy, I've only got one texel cross ewe so not best for reference. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank you Martin, would have to agree with everything you've mentioned. I am much happier with the larger of the two Leicester, and that is largely because of the slightly longer leg. With the swaleys I have to hold my hands up and say I didn't pay much attention to the painting, needed a hundred done in a short period of time for lakeland, so they were slightly rushed. Still finding my way around paints, most matt colours still seem to dry with a shine on the smooth resin surface, which is frustrating, most noticeable with the pure white. I think they will all look better with a little dirtying up, will make them appear less toy like. 

Hope lambing is going well and that the weather continues to hold out! 

No problem. I'm looking forward to seeing your flock expand. Do you paint them with a primer first? I would have thought it would stop the effect of the resin and that matt colours would do what they said on the...well, erm...tin. 

Yes it hasn't been a bad lambing thank you, largely helped by the weather. Down to the last 50 or so now so things are easing off a bit and I'm down to only 18 hour days now !!!

They're looking very well James. I agree with what  Martin has said, I can't comment about those swaley things, we keep well away from them!!! but the Texels look cracking. Ours are all Texel, Beltex or Charolais cross yowes so if you need any reference pics just shout, but I think you've pretty much nailed them.

Archived