Aarons Covnversions/ Scratchbuilds

Admin, feel free to move if you feel its in the wrong place.

Thought I'd start this topic while I'm making good progress through the builds. Be warned, the topic will look like an advert for 3D printing, really useful tool when you want to make a lot of intricate parts or even just cut outs etc. Bit of everything to come really, most of it dairy orientated, but the odd combine planned. Some of the stuff I've been asked to do, some of the I've done for myself and been asked to do for others as well, some of its just for me only. 

First up, 250k gallon slurry store, this was ordered and largely left up to me to design and build up with as much as I wanted to add/ detail. Made up gang slats, as well as mixing slats, engineered the same as the real thing to allow them to be chained together to make runs of slatted areas etc. As well as scratch built valves, jetter and platform. Spec included removable slats to set a mixer in as well.

IMG_3288.JPG

IMG_3370.JPG

IMG_3442.JPG

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3579.JPG

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

IMG_3584.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And to follow, a couple of scratchbuild trailers, 2 herron 16t trailers, and a bailey 12/14t, need to double check my measurements again as I feel the ones for a 12 could hvae been slightly out looking back. Intending to use it for drawing muck/ feed, general purpose, so it got a few soft tyres, and will have some weathering once it has decals and hoses fitted.

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

IMG_3895.JPG

IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG

Few more of the John Deere above, 6620, based on a siku 6920 chopped about a bit, new front axles, scratch built rear wheels, underneath was completely stripped, rebuilt to roughtly resemble the real thing, not too much detail went in at this point, as I was aiming more for the right look from the sides etc. Then artisan 32 rear linkage and front weights grated on. It just needs some new decals and the glazing finished and its good to go. Set of removable rowcrops ready to go on for when she moves onto the potato harvester.

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

IMG_3893.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_3899.JPG

Next, Britains Kane with a few mods, the whole reason this topic was started, a post in another topic reminded me of this convo I was going to add these pics into that thread, but thought I'd just throw all the builds and convos up together. Its had new rims made up and fitted to narrow the track in a lot more to resemble the real deal a bit better, as well as new rear hubs and steering arm to give a better lock. This was done as a trial run when I first started printing, as well as a mock up for a few silage trailers when I get the time to get them started, theyll have the same treatment as well as a red paint job.

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3593.JPG

IMG_3594.JPG

And finally for now, a Herron 2250 tanker, I was seeing a lot of standard resprays of Britains tanks all over facebook and though I could take it a bit further and really push the boat out, this is the result. Wheels finally arrived today, so theyll be fitted, along with hydraulic pipes, then it's just the decals, waiting for them to be printed currently. There will be a run of these available of shortly for anybody interested. Scratch built valves, correct rear lights, detailed rear end, lifting hooks, sidelights, pump operation arm, new drawbar, correct pipe assembly at the front, top hatch filled and now a sight glass, this was a late addition, really should have installed it before paint, but as this is a prototype build I'm more interested in accuracy and can change the build order later on. Next up work out how to install a lazy arm that can still move up and down, rough plans drawn out, whether it will work or not is another matter

58458034161__078A8847-15D5-47E4-A601-DD1E0AC01B53.JPG

IMG_3911.JPG

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

I’m the same, flat out between uni, placement and farm stuff, I just start it in the morning and it’s finished a print for when I get home at night. Running an ender 3 using pla for most stuff. Have played about with Petg after I got a roll by accident. It seems good for little complex things, seems to be a lot stronger than the pla, could have been the way it was sliced though. Hoping to add a raspberry pi and run ocotprint on it to run the printer with WiFi and monitor it when I’m away

Some impressive work Aaron!

Particularly like the trailers, slurry store and tanker. You've included plenty of the details most of the resprays you see are missing.

I can't help but think for the Silo walls it would be more economical to create a silicone mould of the 3D print and resin or plaster cast them? What is the print time for one?

Thanks, it’s all the details you notice after staring at one for a day :D. Silicone mould would probably be quicker, would he tempted to go plaster for the finish, ie no finishing needed, but making them hollow etc like I can produce a print wouldn’t be the easiest, hence more material used, higher cost per part, plus more time filling the moulds etc, whereas I can start the printer in the mornings, check the first layer etc, then go on to work. Print time is typically around an hour per wall, but I’m running them off 12+ at a time to get the most out of the machine. Cost per wall/ slat etc whatever the parts is would be similar I’d imagine, most of the time is spent finishing the part I’ve found, which is going to be universal across either production method, as I can get away with no sanding etc off the printer. Shoot me a pm if you’re interested in hearing more about the printers

Something else started today whilst waiting for parts, John Deere 2266 combine. So far got the front nod back grab rails built up, along with swinging steps, still liftable header and pivoting/ steering rear axle to do. Plus whatever else I find :D

113BA7BD-2082-4E27-998D-6F214D0D3FA1.jpeg

ADEF5421-9D23-403C-89D5-E90C970F97FA.jpeg

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Barry said:

Very impressive stuff.

I'm going to be looking at all information on the Ender 3 over the Christmas break now!!!

Drop me a pm if you’ve any questions about them. Been running mine fairly hard now for a year and haven’t had any real issues. Definitely recommend one 

• 3 months later...

Another one started now we’re into iso for a while, should hopefully actually get some more stuff finished now opposed to started something and getting distracted. 

John Deere 6930 with correct bonnet. Hopefully get a few cast up down the line to do a couple more. Few tweaks to make still and a bit of work to do on the top

360852F2-038A-4B5B-A379-D25D63C942A0.jpeg

28422CD9-01ED-46C5-BCB8-02D5A75F0C86.jpeg

Thanks chaps. Yes Siku 6920 bonnet, milled out to take the wiking grills. Still to add the line down the middle, want to try and add a bit more of the 30 series shape to it as well before hopefully getting it 3D scanned and onto the printer 

Archived