Deutz D30 kit

As posted in the recent buys topic I have recently bought a Revell Deutz D30 kit which is a 1/24 scale plastic model, Sean also suggested that I should have topic on how I got on so here it is.

I will say at the start that I have got fat fingers and I have never attempted any sort of build beforehand, there are all sorts of instructions and diagrams but I am not great at following these so be prepared for this to be an unmitigated disaster. It would also probably be better to glue some of the parts as the click together bits don't really seem to be very strong but me and glue just don't get on, I would end up with all the fiddly bits stuck to my fingers so I have just clipped them together.

As you go through the build the instructions also suggest that you add the decals to the model, there are 2 sets of decals supplied, one is the waterslide type and the other are stickers, both are far too small and fiddly for me to even attempt. The instructions also say that the model can be painted as you go along and there are a number of suggested colours from the Revell paints range.

OK, so here is what you are faced with when you open the box, each part is numbered to match the instructions however, they are not in any sort of a consecutive order, for example, part number 7 is between part number 62 and part number 78. I have spent almost as much time searching for the right part as putting it together.

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

Once you do find the right bits, you can then start to assemble the chassis. It seems to be quite detailed with air intake filters and exhaust manifold all as separate parts to be added before you ever click the two halves of the chassis together. There are decals for the engine and chassis plates but I am not able to pick these up without sticking them to the inside of my thumb so they have not been added, maybe at some stage I will nick a pair of Mrs R's tweezers but that may have to wait until she goes out.

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

Last bit for today, is the battery and headlights, this has taken me around 2 hours to get to this point so this is not going to be a quick job, I will add some more over the next day or so, let's face it, all family contact has been cancelled so I have to come up with something to do. I have also added a photo of the decals with a 1p piece for size comparison

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

16 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

does it require any painting at all mike ?? or are all the bits cast in the right colours already.

They are in the right colours already but I am sure it could be improved by painting 

Nothing else to do today so got on with this kit. I did find as I was going through it that although it is marketed as a click together kit that sometimes a tiny blob of glue to hold the parts in place came in useful. Especially when trying to get a stubborn part to click into place and another one popped out, I lost count of the number on tiny pieces that shot off the desk and onto the floor whilst trying to get something else to stay in place.

As you are going through the kit also gives you options about what you want on the finished product, an example is as below, the front axle. You can have it with or without front mudguards by selecting which part you use.

IMG_0559.JPG

Next bit was the rear linkage, upper arms, the lower arms come later and are a one piece item. Also at the same time some of the hydraulic levers and pedals

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

Next comes the seat, footplates and gear lever. The seat was quite easy but the gear lever was very fiddly. You can't fit the gear lever until the seat is in position and it is then inserted into a hole that is under the seat mounting, some sweary noises may have been heard around the house. This is where things started to ping off that ended up with me crawling around the floor on my hands and knees looking for minute parts

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

Once the seats and levers were in position I could then build up the rear fenders. Once again there are options here. The kit provides 2 sets of rear fenders so that you can choose to have a seat on one side, both sides or none at all, there are also 2 different roll bars options, on square and one more rounded. I have gone for a single seat and the square roll bar

IMG_0565.JPG

I did mention the rear linkage lower arms that are all in one piece. That is okay except that you then have to line up a number of pins and holes and get them all to stay in place and secure. As soon as you get one located properly then one of the others pops out, this took far more time to get right that some of the others put together, with the exception of that damn gear lever.

IMG_0574.JPG

Eventually it has all come together. I have found some tweezers to help with the decals. I have applied the stickers but there are still some waterslide type decals that are going to have to wait until another day. These are for things like the lights and indicator lenses but they are going to have to wait for another day.

Before anyone mentions it, I have corrected the rear registration plate sticker and straightened it up, I didn't see that it was quite so wonky until I posted the picture of the rear linkage.

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

Nice work Mike!

I built the Porsche Junior and have this one to do. They are really good kits, although as you say, are a little fiddly in places and DO need a drop of glue here and there.

I've seen Revell are also issuing a Fendt of the same era in 2021.... seems like they are working through early German tractors :)

20 minutes ago, mb86 said:

It looks a nice finished model Mike. But like Alastair said it’s an odd scale, I suppose smaller would be more fiddly for the small parts. Will you be having a go at the others in the range?

Gavin mentioned that there would be a Fendt coming out in 2021, I might just have to have a go at that as well.

As far as doing it so quickly, I didn't have anything else to do, I couldn't go out because of lockdown and I would have been bored otherwise, it passed the time rather nicely and I really enjoyed doing it

20 minutes ago, alf aphid said:

Get a scaledown ;) bit more pricey, but worth it! 

Was actually thinking along those lines, problem is, I can't paint it after it is built

31 minutes ago, robbo said:

Was actually thinking along those lines, problem is, I can't paint it after it is built

Yes you can ! Find a couple of old scrap bits and have a practice, it’s really not tricky, patience is the key and lots of little coats. By the way I don’t always practice what I preach!! 

I ended up scrolling through Ebay last night and found the Revell Porsche model for £19.99 so I added it to my "watch" list. This morning I have had an email from the seller offering another discount down to £17.99 so I have also bought this. I could end up with the full set at this rate :wacko:

17 hours ago, robbo said:

Humbrol Enamels, and I imagine Scaledown own paint, can be painted on with a brush and still give a very good effect. They're slow drying so brush strokes level out before the paint sets. Means there's no need for rattle cans or airbrushes. 

Looks like you did a great and very meticulous job of this one, keep it up! 

Archived