Plaishford Farm

Ferret90

i did come across a way of doing nettles recently, i got the material it says to use as well,and by luck i had the leaves they said to use already, just not got round to it, it uses woodland scenics poly fibre with noch leaves stuck to it, looks effective, they also use the same stuff,but with the poly stained brown,to make bramble bushes . which did look very good .again its on the list to be tried .

• Like 2

You might find something of use in the Noch catalogue, But I couldn't open this useing the Brave browser I had to use  Microsoft, Huge selection so I chose a couple of shortcuts , leaf foliage then trees / bush's,

https://www.noch.com/en/catalog/main-catalog/132/index.html

https://www.noch.com/en/catalog/main-catalog/176/index.html

Regards

Joe,

• Like 1

Interesting ideas, I think the issue with nettles at 1:32 is that each plant is large enough to be noticeable as an individual piece. 

The only idea I have is to paint some broom bristles a deep burgundy and put three dollops of pva along each bristle. Then dip the bristle in a bowl full of stamped leaves made of green card stamped with a green stuff world leaf stamp. Hopefully the leaves would stick and give three levels of leaf around the bristle stem. Repeat hundreds of times and then plant them all bunched up. Sound painfully time consuming though! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

no you havnt ted, its got part of the roof missing 😆😆😆😆 good few paint brushes?? gone into that i suspect looks spot on

Haha, my patients was starting to fray by that point. Not paint brushes no, but the girlfriends horse is a bit cold now

• Haha 3

• 9 months later...
6 hours ago, Cornish-model-farm said:

A farming neighbour of mine was still thatching his straw ricks in the early 1970s. I do like to see thatch.

That is amazing , may be a straw rick should be my next mission! It always interests me how localised the thatching techniques are . You can almost work out the location on the type of thatch. I’m trying to replicate Wiltshire long straw which is a bit shaggier. I think most now are combed wheat reed

7 hours ago, Ferret90 said:

That is amazing , may be a straw rick should be my next mission! It always interests me how localised the thatching techniques are . You can almost work out the location on the type of thatch. I’m trying to replicate Wiltshire long straw which is a bit shaggier. I think most now are combed wheat reed

A straw rick would be stunning. On my layout I have a 1/32 scale binder and harvest long stem wheat straw to supply the local thatcher! I haven't attempted any thatched buildings or ricks myself.

P1030339.JPG

• Like 4