Spray Painting

alpinefocus

Question

15 answers to this question

Either that or standard car paint from your motorspares shop whaich is cheaper, make sure whatever you are painting is clean before you start and its best to use a primer as a base coat.  ;)

on the small shed frame i used that humbrol spray paint, just sprayed it on with no primer....bl@@dy stinks though as FP told me :D :D+

same on the cladding panels :)

i think it really depends on the paint type and materials you use as with a metal i'd guess you would need a primer ??? ??? wouldnt you ???

I have a JD6200 that is in need of restoration as the paint on the bonnet has flaked quite badly. I intend to rub it down and then re paint it. I can get the paint from the local JD dealer for about ?8.50 but what is the best type of primer to use? Also, if I damage the decals is there anywhere I can get any more?

Models.jpg

Many thanks

Robbo

I have a JD6200 that is in need of restoration as the paint on the bonnet has flaked quite badly. I intend to rub it down and then re paint it. I can get the paint from the local JD dealer for about ?8.50 but what is the best type of primer to use? Also, if I damage the decals is there anywhere I can get any more?

Many thanks

Robbo

if u want to do a proper job u have to pull the model appart which involves drilling out the rivits then paint strip it then (i dont use a primer) and straight on with the paint.

cheers

Reece

i tend to use dealer paints but always spray cans now, prime up first, and even in the summer warm the can in hot water for 5 mins or so then shake for 1 or 2 mins after , seems to spray a lot better that way,

I have no experience in spraying models with spray cans but I have done all my own real tractors with a spray gun. I found one of the main secrets of spraying ( after alll the careful preparation ) is heat. The hooter the metal you are spraying the better. When the paint goes on it seems to adhere that much better and not run... well most of the time anyway. My father always liked to spray outside in the sunshine where he said he could see much better. This was never a preferred option of mine because of the risk of flies and also any dust being blown on. Have to admit you do see better outside though.

Many thanks

Robbo

I always use yellow filler primer beneath JD green. The best way to do it is to build it up in thin coats in a warm environment, if the air is damp and cold you will get a very cloudy dull finish to your paint work.

Decals are available from Henri Walker, just email him for details  walkerparts@planet.nl

The plastikote range is good and they have a good range of colours

Thanks for the earlier advice lad's.

Just out of interest I was in my local b&q today and saw that there was load's of different colour's in the plastikote range and it is a pound cheaper than halford's 300ml of spray paint at ?4.49p. ;)

Thanks for the earlier advice lad's.

Just out of interest I was in my local b&q today and saw that there was load's of different colour's in the plastikote range and it is a pound cheaper than halford's 300ml of spray paint at ?4.49p. ;)

I use Holts car paints myself and they cost about ?3.49-?3.99 for a can ;)