What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

There has been one of the regular three day (Fri, Sat, Sun) antique fairs on this weekend at the B&W Showground here at Shepton Mallet. I went Friday (costs more to get in on this supposed 'trade day', but Friday tickets good for all 3 days), and back again for another look today.

Almost all my buys from one general dealer, who had a box of good condition soldiers etc., most Britains lead 2nd grade 'cheapo' range. He wanted to sell them as one lot for £100, but I didn't want them all, and didn't want to part with that much cash. I eventually persuaded him to part with what I wanted, in 2 batches - total expenditure £45.

These figures were:

3 x mounted French officer. I discovered Friday evening that this is considered rarer than their much nicer top grade mounted French officers.

3 x French foot soldiers (black coat, red trousers)

3 x British RN sailors

2 x RN nurse (another rare item, which doesn't seem to have appeared in any Britains catalogues, although is known to collectors)

5 x Foot Guards in firing positions, which I really wanted as I already had the empty box for them.

and (not Britains 2nd grade) a Taylor & Barrett postman, which according to Norman Joplin's big blue book is worth £50+ alone.

OK, so sometimes going to general antiques fairs can be a waste of time, but the real bargains are to found there, from general dealers who don't know what they're selling. No one can be an expert in all types of antiques/collectables.

I posted this here, rather than in the latest buys thread, because none of it was farm.

Edited by david_scrivener

Passed my category B+E (car and trailer) test this morning after having a days training for it yesterday to get me back up to test standards with my driving and to learn various test routes around Norwich.

That's the exact same conversation the examiner and myself had Mike, he was of the same opinion as myself that the driving category rules and restrictions need looking at as it makes no sense at all when, as you say, I can pull a trailer behind a tractor and have done since I was 16 but not behind our Defender at work whereas Grandpa Joe blogs who's more dangerous than shark infested custard can pull a trailer behind his car with no training and be a hazard to all around him.

• Like 1

You know exactly what I mean from your previous life I'm sure, there's some good and bad drivers out there but some shouldn't be allowed on the road with a push bike let alone a car and caravan.

I went to Glamis Castle near Forfar in Angus for the 39th Scottish Transport Extravaganza from 6.30 am until 2.15 pm (tractor less a rather annoying story..but hey ho I must be there next year for the 40th Show) especially since I have been showing either my Ransomes MG2 crawler from 1985 or my Farmall A from 1987 and then my Farmall Cub from 2000 and in some years two tractors.

It was a.great show but rather warm...hence the early departure before the mayhem trying to get away at close of play...then I collected a Border Fine Art figurine I had bought  a while back at Edzell on the way home.

Went to the local car boot sale early this morning home again by 9.00 for breakfast, rest of the day keeping out of the heat, peaked at 31.4 C mid afternoon, watered the veg garden when the sun went over the horizon. This heat is just sucking the moisture out of the ground, grass is starting to burn and go brown  and the forecast is for it to go on until mid August. At least we are having a summer this year!

• Like 2

More car shopping, had a look at a kia pro-cee'd. Took a peugeot 208 for a drive and went to see the ford fiesta st again also took a vauxall corsa sri out in the week. Bigest smile was in the fiesta, the 208 was quite impresive. The corsa was a dissapointment.

• Like 1

More car shopping, had a look at a kia pro-cee'd. Took a peugeot 208 for a drive and went to see the ford fiesta st again also took a vauxall corsa sri out in the week. Bigest smile was in the fiesta, the 208 was quite impresive. The corsa was a dissapointment.

You wont be disappointed with the 208 what model where you looking at Tim ? I sell Peugeot as my day job and the 208 Is our best seller

Yer would love a GTI. Had a 206 GTi and a 207 GT150 in the past currently in a Fiesta Zetec s hense been looking at the ST. Only went to look at the Peugeot as the same dealer sells both and ford guy was out on a test drive. It will all come down to the money Ford are trying to get the price right got about 1500 nocked of it so far.

Heading into town today for a spot of shopping and lunch oh and maybe a sneeky pint or two as Natalie will drive then back to mum and dads as there making a nice tea for all of us as it my brothers birthday.

More cabinet sorting today - I love being on holiday! At last I can see 90% of my collection at a glance and it's fantastic to do this after all these years of box stacking!

The Mid Devon Show was great at the weekend, but didn't provide much opportunity for tractor purchase. Just one stand with any serious models at all and then just the most recent Britains stuff and a few Siku and Bruder items. Mainly Big Farm scale too, so didn't buy anything at all. That's a first!

I did enjoy the tractor parade in the arena and had a good long look around and photo session in the display area afterwards.

Lovely weather too, so a grand day out.

West Somerset Railway Rally this weekend, so MORE tractors!!! :-)