What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

3 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

ooooo is  that a red waring light i see on an FORD dashboard  martin :P, at least it was nice and cool that early in the morning , its sometimes nicer working that time of the day 

No it is the handbrake light:P Yes as long as the dew stays off it is ideal. 

About 30 miles up the coast from barcelona today in a place called palamos, did barcelona last friday , the eldest grandaughter doesnt want to get off and neither does her mum , understandable i guess with a 2 and 7 year old in tow , so a quiet last day on board  to our holiday 

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, walterderwent said:

Didn't have to be asked twice to do some baling this afternoon aboard this JCB Fastrac 8330, loved every second of it. :)

P1430566.JPG

P1430560.JPG

That same rig is working out the back here in the Fens,  a local contractor operates  a JCB 8330 coupled to an MF big baler, a quite impressive set up.  However the 8330 isn't nearly as appealing too look at as its 4220 sibling.

It turns out that even the best of the best break down, the poor old tw has stripped the PTO shaft at the flywheel,:( so she is out of action for a while. While it is split I thought is wise to change the clutch and re seal the dual power packs as well as both are the originals. Will also do one or two other jobs on her that have been put off untill a rainy day. Got the parts needed for now but the shaft is to draw out through the rear of the gearbox so it is to put back together then split the back end away from the box. The boxes of parts I picked up yesterday would buy quite a lot of models!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, prickles said:

just grind off the old splines so that you can push her back together, the old shaft will make the best crow bar you ll ever have when the jobs done. Good look with the flywheel/centre hub bolts if they are allen bolts as they are often lock time in  and round off easily. When you split backend away  check the hydraulic pump drive gear if its wearing out i would advise its replacement and because the tractor does pro work id advise checking out the pro clutch pack places too save having to go back in there at a later date

Thanks for the heads up. Yes they are Allen heads:(. I intend to check what I can while we are in there, as you say, it will save having to go in again. PTO clutch was working but will give it a look over, brake wasn't so will will have to see what the problem is there. Quite enjoying dismantling her actually, first time any of the fords have had major surgery like this, haven't even had to put a clutch in one till now, good job I've got a good mechanic and friend helping. Or should I say I'm helping him. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bluegreen said:

That same rig is working out the back here in the Fens,  a local contractor operates  a JCB 8330 coupled to an MF big baler, a quite impressive set up.  However the 8330 isn't nearly as appealing too look at as its 4220 sibling.

This was the baling team I was involved with on wednesday. Demo 8330 on loan for three days, a contractor's 4220 and Heath chaser, whilst the farm's own 4220 was on the other baler, both Massey Ferguson 2290s. Agree the 4220 looks nicer, but having enjoyed a decent stint on the 8330, it is one heck of a comfortable and relaxing tractor to operate, more than enough power for that baler too, massively greatful for the opportunity. :)  

P1430362 - Copy.JPG

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mb86 said:

It turns out that even the best of the best break down, the poor old tw has stripped the PTO shaft at the flywheel,:( so she is out of action for a while. While it is split I thought is wise to change the clutch and re seal the dual power packs as well as both are the originals. Will also do one or two other jobs on her that have been put off untill a rainy day. Got the parts needed for now but the shaft is to draw out through the rear of the gearbox so it is to put back together then split the back end away from the box. The boxes of parts I picked up yesterday would buy quite a lot of models!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Apparently its not -  uncommon  Martin on Fords with a good few hours under their belts and that have done a lot of heavy shaft work, it happen to me on a 7810 that I was power - harrowing with and I've heard of several others since then that have done it as well. That's the beauty of classics though, relatively simple to fix as long as you are fairly handy with the spanners :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 844john said:

Apparently its not -  uncommon  Martin on Fords with a good few hours under their belts and that have done a lot of heavy shaft work, it happen to me on a 7810 that I was power - harrowing with and I've heard of several others since then that have done it as well. That's the beauty of classics though, relatively simple to fix as long as you are fairly handy with the spanners :)

Apparently not but she hasn't high hours, 5800. I knew 8100 were prone to it but until I did a bit of reasearch online hadn't heard of any of the others failing. Yes simple to fix and relatively cheap as well, the shaft and hub came to about £280. Wonder what the parts for a new tractor would cost?

i doubt a normal farmer could do that sort of job on a modern rig to be honest martin, so may computer sensors and alikes,need to be a sparky as well, plus a 100 odd rolls of paper tape to label everything up as you remove it all  .the joys of older kit simple to use and repair 

• Like 1

No I would think it would need a bit more knowledge than I possess.  it took 3 hours to get her split and that was with a bit of learning as we went along. It would take that just to label the wires on a modern one. 3 colours of pull ties is all we are using. 

It must be the vibration that causes the splines on the shaft/hub to wear then? Well worth checking the PTO clutch when we get there. Tomorrow is forecast wet so hopefully get a bit more do to her but for today I'm off to bale wheat. Hopefully get it finished today, just depends if the combine got finished yesterday. 

50 minutes ago, MadMark said:

Just as long as you don't have a few bolts left over when you put it back together you'll be alright Martin;):D

You should always have a few bits left over, it means you have improved the design. :D

• Haha 1

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, bluegreen said:

that be northen or southern straw by anychance we bale here in Lincolnshire see them floating about :)

21015597_10212769532606926_438391832_n.jpg

Edited by jamiemaclean1
  • Like 4

That's a tidy girl john. It isn't a rash, it's just your body adjusting to the higher percentage of reliability, style, and raw power than you are used to. Colour aside, don't you need a £100k 200+hp new tractor to put a bit of fert on?:ph34r: tin hat deployed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I thought you needed that sort of tractor on a haybob nowadays, twin beacons included !! Actually, she is a good tractor, she's done just over 11000 hours and most of those will have been hard hours.Up until 8 years ago all the straw was led with her, 48 hestons on a load, and over the weighbridge she would gross out at around 24.5 tonnes. There's a groove in the end of the exhaust as when she was really working you could see a flame coming out! My biggest gripe is why Ford could not put a decent gearbox in them, compared to the 56 series Cases it is like stirring a hammer in a bucket of bolts. Time for my tin hat now! :D

• Like 4