Most important tractors of the century?

ihatepoundland

MF 31 and 36 series first tractors with that really used a computer etc which was datatronic datatronic

And the Fendt 926 in 1996 (or 95) was first commercial availible tracter etc with a CVT box

The Ferguson TE20, 35, 135 lineage as they brought affordable mechanisation to smaller farms.

The Ford E27N, E1A Major, 6X 5000 and 6Y 5000. They were the definitive arable tractors of their respective eras.

To my mind, the 6Y 5000 was the most important tractor of the century as it was synonymous with the "Green Revolution" in agriculture in the late 60s and early 70s.

I would say more flashes they have there uses i'll admit that but on most farms they have there drawbacks like there to light and are limited on pulling power due to weight and how some set-up

The standard Fordson , rubbish tractor but cheap enough that lots of people could afford one.                                                                                                                                            The Ferguson Brown , first production tractor with a viable thee point linkage which became the standard for most that followed.

Allis Chalmers D21, first 100 hp + tractor with a turbo diesel .

Wagner , probably built the earliest four wheel drive high hp pivot steers.

has to be the little 20 fergys really, after all they bought out the real aid to farmers with the 3 point system,all followed brands went that way after then ,cheap reliable and safe with that fitted, started the proper farming revoloution after steam engines i think

Yes but only for a year or two until harry ferguson left them due to a disagrement but they kept on making the linkage system so harry sued them for breach of copyright and that was how ferguson was started, well i think thats how it went :-\ ???

Sounds about right, so we have Ford to thank for Fergusons ;)

Both very important machines as stated though and the most common suggestions in this thread, but say we had an important tractor of each decade, what would it be? to move this on a bit as its easy to see the Fordson and Fergie as key tractors as they kind of laid the foundations for the modern machine.

I doubt we'll agree on this, but its worth a try ;D

Didn't the three point appear on the fordson first, before that the Model A?

Yes but only for a year or two until harry ferguson left them due to a disagrement but they kept on making the linkage system so harry sued them for breach of copyright and that was how ferguson was started, well i think thats how it went :-\ ???

The Ferguson model A or Ferguson Brown was the original production model appearing before Harry Ferguson signed his deal with Henry Ford to produce the Ferguson tractor in the USA. Ferguson fell out with David Brown because they wanted to produce a bigger tractor [ this became the VAK 1 ]but Ferguson would not agree and moved his production to Ford.

interesting topic this with varying views

i would have to say Ford 7000 1st factory fitted turbo which is on almost every modern engine, dual power, load monitor and probably why the Q cab was invented.

The Allis Chalmers D21 appeared with a factory fitted turbo charger in 1965, thus predating the Ford 7000 by several years.

The TE20.

The first successful massed produced tractor of the modern age. Changed the face of farming more than any other model since.

Just about every tractor since has been a variation on the same theme.

You could make a case for the three point linkage being the most important invention in farming in the last 200 years, certainly 100 years, and the TE20 made the Ferguson System the industry standard which still applies today.

In car terms it is the Mini, Beatle and Model T of farming.

The Allis Chalmers D21 appeared with a factory fitted turbo charger in 1965, thus predating the Ford 7000 by several years.

NORTHROPs factory fitted turbos to the early 5000 engine from about 1966 acting as field testers for FORDS. I owned the yellow one (a genuine 5004T) in Stuart Gibbards book, "Ford Tractor Conversions", for several years before selling it in part payment for SCALEdown Models.It is now in preservasion in Hants.

But anyway...so far tractors mentioned have or have brought about,

• the three point hitch
  • used unibody construction
  • been affordable
  • are diesel powered
  • introduced turbo charging (still working on that one ;) )
  • the introduction of the factory fitted cab
  • the CVT gearbox

What else has happened since the fordson era, and what brought it about?