what will replace my 3050????  

41 members have voted

1. 1. what will replace my 3050????

• Ford/nh 7740 SLE
    • Fiat 90/90 or 88/94
    • Mf 390T
    • jd 6400

hey guys, need your opinions here,

im replacing my 3050 turbo as she is a little bit big for our farm at home.

im looking to buy a 4cyl turbo, 90-100 hp. will probably be putting a loader on it so a shuttle box is a must. 40k box would be an advantge for drawing round bale hay and straw in winter but not essential.

thanks guys for all your help!

wel it depends on what you want it for, but if you want a gutsy tractor that will do "exactly what it says on the tin" and a little more then go for the fergy, havn't herd anyone ever say a bad thing about the 390t's

Except that its hard to get a good one for handish money :D :D

same can be said for any of those on his list,all good models from a similar age , all with good points and bad, but like i said, never seen a bad report on a mf 390t always praise, small in size, punches above its weight thanks to the good perkins,and easy to restore and having seen his jd redone,hes more than capapble of doing it ;)

Well as I said earlier Smish, it's the 390T hands down for me.

6400 - horrible ride when on road/drawbar work, brakes can give you trouble and if not caught can be expensive. That said she is a gutsy little motor and has a high level of interior trim.

7740 SLE - flat as a witchest tit mate, no good for love nor ornament. Sounds harsh I know but that's the truth, again though they can have a high level of trim and nothing is too expensive when it comes to a few glitches they may have.

DT - Underated and affordable tractor but don't know tto much about them.

390T - Pocket Rocket, cab is dated and shuttle is not clutchless, that said it is on the left which is ideal for loader work. Very cheap parts as they are brought on from earlier models. Nice simple gearbox. No frills linkage can't go wrong on you. Check epicylics and hubs on front axle (4wd) though. Expect to shell out alot for a good one but unlike the rest this will be an investment.  :)

I'd have to say Fiat here after having the pleasure of driving a 110-90 for a couple of years, really simple mechanics, few electronics to go wrong on them and bomb proof Iveco engine. If you want to put a loader on it get one with PAVT rear wheels, it will sacrifice road speed down to about 34kph though compared to 40kph on the pressed steel variant. Would probably be able to get a newer Fiat for the same money as older MF, NH or JD. Spares seem to be fairly cheap as well on them, even a 110-90 is a compact tractor for its size, we had it drawing 14 tons of grain up hills no problem, lots of grunt and torque in that engine :);)

seems to me the vote is a tad uneven ,most of the famers seem to recomend the mf but votes have gone for the ford?,whys that then? 

The mouthy ones recommend the Massey. The quiet ones - get on with the job, no need to waffle - recommend the Ford.

:o

and as for comparing a 390T to a 7740!!! Maybe, just maybe, a 398T might compare to a 7740, a 390T compares (unfavourably IMHO) to a 6640.  :-*

I know of a very tidy 399 with loader up for ?10,000 Smish but it is on my doorstep - a fair way from yours!!!

Those that know about tractors recommend the 390T, those that don't. .... .

Thats the explanation for the voting!!  ;D

seems to me the vote is a tad uneven ,most of the famers seem to recomend the mf but votes have gone for the ford?,whys that then? 

SIMPLY BECAUSE THE 390 /390t IS TOO EXPENSIVE  (oops i'll stop shouting) & finding a decent one is going to be hard work , put simply the 300 series was a stockmans tractor , where as it's brother equivelent the 3070 was more arable / cropping tractor , so trying to find a decent 390 that hasn't been eaten away with the proverbial FYM will be something of a novelty remember that people who mainly with things on four legs arn't the best people to trust with anything with four wheels . On tha other hand the ford 7740 wa enjoyed by stock farm & arable farms alike , so finding a decent 7740 will be easier , unless of course a 3070/ 75 is available , the 390 is a great tractor , but if i had to choose which to spend a working day in it would be the 7740 i'm afraid

I know of a very tidy 399 with loader up for ?10,000 Smish but it is on my doorstep - a fair way from yours!!!

Those that know about tractors recommend the 390T, those that don't. .... .

Thats the explanation for the voting!!  ;D

ant pics of it?? where abouts are you??

Poor old Gav then!!!

I know absolutly nothing about these tractors........but I'd go for the one in the best condition/lowest hours, a great design is nothing if it is worn out

Now you can't honestly say that these tractors don't look and sound the part. Might be rather dated but bugger can't they pull!

http://www.startintractors.co.uk/machinery/database/2521.pdf

Next door neighbour has one 00 reg and only 400 hours on the clock turbo charged and everything some lady to move - he brought 17 tonnes of barley to New Ross on Saturday all the way in top gear and let her back to the 2300 and she settled at 1900 the whole way.

What an animal of a tractor  :)

YOU'LL REGRET SELLIN HER

yea i think your right ricky, had it in the auto trader last 2 weeks,you wouldnt believe the amount of time wasters and tyre kickers that rang me. sick of answerin the phone to them so i think ill go get myself a nice 2nd hand jd loader and stick it on it!!!