At work with Martin (NH2)

NewHolland2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with this term 'bruising' of barley Martin, does that just mean crushing grain to feed cattle (ease of digestion and all that?) Thanks

Yep that's it  :)  maybe it's a Scottish term I'm not entirely sure  :-\ , just for your interest here's what we call the bruiser.......

SuperiorBruiser6208.jpg

Nice early morning picture mate. 

Thanks Ol, this was taken as I was waiting for water buckets to fill up when we were in the grips of the freezing weather of late  :)

Yep that's it  :)  maybe it's a Scottish term I'm not entirely sure  :-\ , just for your interest here's what we call the bruiser.......

Thanks, I've not seen many of these in the flesh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to update this a bit. Not much fieldwork going on yet as we can't start ploughing until March the 7th due to a Land Manager's Option that we have taken part in as part of the SFP so dung spreading will be getting started around the 1st of March.

Calving is still on going but sadly we have just lost a set of twins  :-\

On the plus side we attended a large machinery sale down in Leven, Fife and came home with my new toy - a Howard Power Harrow and Nordsten NS3030 3m drill combo so we can do the drilling oursleves again. We are looking for an instruction manual for the drill so if anyone knows the whereabouts of one drop me a PM please. Also came home with a Chafer front tank with the handy addition of a diesel powered pump, this will be checked over and then used as part of our new water system for the outdoor cattle in the Summer.

Some pics now - first up coming over the Tay Bridge into Dundee back from Fife

DSC01123.jpg

The load the next morning

DSC01125.jpg

Chafer Tank

DSC01128.jpg

New Drill

DSC01130.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

Looks a good drill Martin, if you give Kongskilde a ring here in Norfolk they will probably be ably to sort a book out for you as Nordsten are part of that company now :)

Ah thanks Gav, I wondered who'd taken over the Nordsten business as I couldn't find much on them. Yeah the drill is pretty tidy, needing a couple of new spouts but that's about all really. Will be good to add another string to my bow and save the £1000 per year on the contractor doing the sowing  :)

really nice pictures was thinking of going to the sale but decided not to looks like some nice buys

Cheers Andrew, aye sale was a good sale plenty of kit available and I think most of it sold. Massey 40 combine was a bargain at £16,000

They still make the same model Martin, now goes as the 3130 so should be easy enough to source. If they won't post you one let me know as they are only 6 miles down the road from me so will pop and get it off them :)

It looks like your weather is the same as ours - generally GRIM

but hey ho, it is Winter !

Yeah it's been pretty dull and damp of late John, hopefully it will pick up soon.......

Lovely pictures Mart, the machine you call a bruiser, is it a hammer mill type of does it have rollers in it?

Thanks Patrick, it is a roller in the centre of the tank which crushes the barley, will see if I can get a pic of it on Friday.......

How long did the journey take with your load to Moathill from "The Kingdoem of Fife" Mart [img alt=???]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/huh.gif 

Was about an hour and fifteen on the way there on the 50k Bill but took it slower on the way home so was about an hour and 40 on the way home.......

Thanks Patrick, it is a roller in the centre of the tank which crushes the barley, will see if I can get a picture of it on Friday.......

cheers Mart, I couldnt picture what they look like, all the mobile feed mills around us work to the same design, not too many farmer owned ones though.

As Sean said, nice to see a job coming in house as it is all a gain for you. Goes to show the value that you are to your boss too as since you started working there it appears a lot has changed for the farm. Good for you buddy  :)

Is that a tyre packer on the power harrow, will this suit your ground and if not what would it be changed in favour of?

tidy drill there mart, good to see farmers bringing stuff back in house again, gets you some extra training and  skills for the future

That's exactly it Sean, I'm looking forward to adding another string to my bow  :)

As Sean said, nice to see a job coming in house as it is all a gain for you. Goes to show the value that you are to your boss too as since you started working there it appears a lot has changed for the farm. Good for you buddy  [img alt=:)]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

Is that a tyre packer on the power harrow, will this suit your ground and if not what would it be changed in favour of?

Thanks Tris  :) . The next thing will be to get my PA1 and PA2 to bring the spraying in house too.......

Yep the power harrow has a tyre packer on it, will most likely be left I think Tris as soil conditions around here are fairly similar to that of where the drill came from....... :)

We're going to look out the old Opico Shatta Press to work on the front links too to improve seed bed preparation and give some extra weight on the front to cope with the drill combo.......

blimey mart you been there 4 years ! thats gone very fast  :of 

like thew combi-drill looks a tidy peice of equipment ,do you know how old is it & what sort of acreage has it covered ?

ufortunately i havent done as much drilling as i'd of like as was always on the plough , but it looks a easy enough tool to use , will look forward to the pics when it's up & running , the front tank & pump looks handy as well .

havent seen the 1080 polished up for local shows mart , you run out of T cut or something ? neither have we seen any action from the 698 ? come on mart, have a word with yourself  :)

blimey mart you been there 4 years ! thats gone very fast  :of 

like thew combi-drill looks a tidy peice of equipment ,do you know how old is it & what sort of acreage has it covered ?

ufortunately i havent done as much drilling as i'd of like as was always on the plough , but it looks a easy enough tool to use , will look forward to the pictures when it's up & running , the front tank & pump looks handy as well .

havent seen the 1080 polished up for local shows mart , you run out of T cut or something ? neither have we seen any action from the 698 ? come on mart, have a word with yourself  :)

I know Marcus the time has just flown in  :of

Not sure on age Marcus but we do know that of the three that were available in the sale this one is the one that the farmer was using up until last season. We've ordered up new tines for the power harrow and are going to replace them all prior to getting going this year. Couple of other odd wee bits such as the flaps which prevent the coulters choking also going to be replaced where some are missing.......

Funny you should say that I was saying to the boss the other day about getting the old 135 out as a project for next winter once I'm finished the college.

The 698 on the other hand may well be leaving us in the nearer future - the boss is thinking of getting rod of her and adding a newer model to the fleet.

They still make the same model Martin, now goes as the 3130 so should be easy enough to source. If they won't post you one let me know as they are only 6 miles down the road from me so will pop and get it off them [img alt=:)]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif 

Gav got in touch with Kongskilde and they emailed me copies of the three manuals in PDF format so all sorted now.  ;)

Second that Mart.... any more of this and the 'massive' will be paying you a visit  :(" src="http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/angry.gif"> [img alt=;D]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif

Hopefully this year Marky once I'm finished the college I'll have some more time over the Winter months to get some tidying up done  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just last week we had our TB test and I'm pleased to say passed, with not a sign of the infection on the farm

Had the local mobile seed dresser in today dressing a couple of tonnes of Braemar from last year.......

Loading the dresser.......

DSC01181.jpg

Filling up after treatment

DSC01183.jpg

The Power unit - Deutz 150.7

DSC01185.jpg